Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Brain Cramps - One Play

Multiple Brain Cramps - One Play

Did you guys catch the play in the Tigers/Royals game last night? Jeff Francoeur hits a ball off the top of the wall, Austin Jackson then catches it off the bounce. Confusion ensues...

Tim McClellan, who I've deemed the second worst ump I've ever seen (CB Buckner takes the cake), calls Francoeur out. What? In what play can the ball hit the wall first and still be an out.

Francoeur proceeds to stop running even though he would have had an easy triple had he been running.

Jackson doesn't react at all after the catch, because he doesn't know what the call is, so he's holding a live ball in his hands 400 feet away from home, with no intent to throw it to the infield.

Eventually the play is called back as a double. And Jim Leyland comes out to argue incesently as if it should have been an out!

The brain cramps on this play were fun to watch, mostly because you don't see the play often and no one knew what to do. But if you relate to a much more frequent play, you'll know this isn't a hard judgement: Line drive off green monster at Fenway. The LF catches it off the wall before a bounce...pretty sure no one argues that's an out.

Enjoy if you haven't seen it yet.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...b_1&mode=video
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 05-02-2012 at 10:47 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Multiple Brain Cramps - One Play

Actually Jackson saved a HR by catching it off the bounce. It was a little weird to see a play like that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I could be wrong but isnt anything that hits or hits above the yellow line a homerun? Wouldn't this be comparable to a player hitting a ball into the stands that then bounces back onto the playing field. If the player caught the ball after that it wouldn't be an out, which the ump tried to call at first. Am I wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I could be wrong but isnt anything that hits or hits above the yellow line a homerun? Wouldn't this be comparable to a player hitting a ball into the stands that then bounces back onto the playing field. If the player caught the ball after that it wouldn't be an out, which the ump tried to call at first. Am I wrong here?
    The ball has to touch something past the yellow line. In this scenario, it hits the yellow line, but nothing past that. The yellow line thing is sort of a myth though, considering not all HR walls have a yellow line.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    What? It what play can the ball hit the wall first and still be an out.
    You've apprarently never played wallyball!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Tim McClellan, who I've deemed the second worst ump I've ever seen (CB Buckner takes the cake), calls Francoeur out. What? In what play can the ball hit the wall first and still be an out.
    So true about CB Buckner. He was umping last night's Cardinals/Pirates game. His strikezone was his usual floating variety. He had to leave in the 7th because of and injury and there were only 2 Umps on the field. I thought to myself "Thank god! This is addition by subtraction".
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Did you guys catch the play in the Tigers/Royals game last night? Jeff Francoeur hits a ball off the top of the wall, Austin Jackson then catches it off the bounce. Confusion ensues...

Francoeur proceeds to stop running even though he would have had an easy triple had he been running.

Jackson doesn't react at all after the catch, because he doesn't know what the call is, so he's holding a live ball in his hands 400 feet away from home, with no intent to throw it to the infield.

Eventually the play is called back as a double. And Jim Leyland comes out to argue incesently as if it should have been an out!

The brain cramps on this play were fun to watch, mostly because you don't see the play often and no one knew what to do. But if you relate to a much more frequent play, you'll know this isn't a hard judgement: Line drive off green monster at Fenway. The LF catches it off the wall before a bounce...pretty sure no one argues that's an out.

Enjoy if you haven't seen it yet.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...b_1&mode=video
    Its funny, because I think McClellan is horrible also, yet his reputation is "one of the best." This was immediately clear that it was "playing the ball of the wall" and a live ball. Francouer might have even scored if he kept on running. Since he had passed second, though he should have been awarded 3b as a compromise for the umps screw up.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Great instincts by Jackson to save the home run.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

So would this be the first ever home run saving catch not ruled an out?

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Good question. That is a first for me. I can't recall ever seeing a HR taken away that was not an out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I know it's not what you're talking about, but the ivy wall in Wrigley has caught a couple balls that otherwise wouldn't have been found and resulted in inside-the-park homers.

Possibly, but I've seen a couple plays where an OF'er robs a guy of a HR, but the ball comes out of the glove, but back in play. So they saved a HR, but still allowed the hit.

Also, there was a hit a few years back, I think at Yankee stadium where the ball literally was rolling on top of the wall after the OF'er saved a HR. I can't remember which way it fell though.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Its funny, because I think McClellan is horrible also, yet his reputation is "one of the best." This was immediately clear that it was "playing the ball of the wall" and a live ball. Francouer might have even scored if he kept on running. Since he had passed second, though he should have been awarded 3b as a compromise for the umps screw up.
    Agreed! McClellan's rep has always baffled me because I've never thought of him as a good ump. He's also very annoying to watch (and I'm sure play the field) with his delayed motion of the strike call. I know he's making a verbal call, but I'm sure that cause some confusion while in the field in loud environments.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I've posted on him before. This video sums him up in my opinion.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7079583

Wow! What a terrible call!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?