Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Junior Seau Dead

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I like football but I think the game needs fundamental changes -- not just more padding and game-delaying rules.
    What can you really do though? It's just kind of the nature of the game.

Not that I don't see a future where it's possible that the lawmakers step in and say enough is enough.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I like football but I think the game needs fundamental changes -- not just more padding and game-delaying rules.
    Giving them flags would be my first choice.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

RIP Junior. Way too young. WAAAAAAY too young. *sigh*

Is it bad that this doesn't shock me?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Whats the chance the girlfriend did it?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Whats the chance the girlfriend did it?
    Well since it's being treated by the police as a suicide I would say slim.

I feel awful for his family. But who cares about Seau? ESPN is going bananas today on their network showing their affection for a loser and quitter that he has now become.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I feel awful for his family. But who cares about Seau? ESPN is going bananas today on their network showing their affection for a loser and quitter that he has now become.
    ESPN is covering what a great player he was and how he was an even greater human being. Boring.

It's not news that he was a great player. We all know that. IF he did shoot himself, he's not a great human being. Great human beings don't do this to his kids and family. Anyone see what this did to his mother? You don't do that to your loved ones.

The story here is what actually happened and if it was indeed suicide, what was going on in his life? I heard Mort briefly allude to failed businesses but I heard others say that everything he did turned to gold so I don't know

With all due respect, I don't think it's fair to judge the character of the man. One of my best friends tried to kill herself two years ago, and she's been battling demons for quite a while. And I think it's grossly unfair to deem her less of a human being than someone else. I understand there are different perspectives on this, but IMO the man was ill. I don't think he was in a clear enough mind to deem whether he was acting selfishly or not. And football, and the violence of the sport, may have played a big part in the changing of his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think it's fair to judge the character of the man. One of my best friends tried to kill herself two years ago, and she's been battling demons for quite a while. And I think it's grossly unfair to deem her less of a human being than someone else. I understand there are different perspectives on this, but IMO the man was ill. I don't think he was in a clear enough mind to deem whether he was acting selfishly or not. And football, and the violence of the sport, may have played a big part in the changing of his brain.
    I agree. Years ago my neighbor, a Viet Nam War vet, committed suicide in large part because of the emotional trauma he suffered from as a result of his military service. He was ill and he made a bad decision, one that extremely hurt his family, but I never thought less of him as a human being.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    ESPN is covering what a great player he was and how he was an even greater human being. Boring.

It's not news that he was a great player. We all know that. IF he did shoot himself, he's not a great human being. Great human beings don't do this to his kids and family. Anyone see what this did to his mother? You don't do that to your loved ones.

The story here is what actually happened and if it was indeed suicide, what was going on in his life? I heard Mort briefly allude to failed businesses but I heard others say that everything he did turned to gold so I don't know
    Great human beings make mistakes; even tragic ones. Great human beings can also get sick. Did he make a mistake, or was he mentally ill? In either event it doesn't mean he wasn't a great human being.

Anyway, here is a cool story about him:

http://deadspin.com/5907297/the-nigh...with-a-ukulele

EDIT: I took something out that was probably inappropriate. So I'll just say that I found SeaRay's post really offensive and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    EDIT: I took something out that was probably inappropriate. So I'll just say that I found SeaRay's post really offensive and leave it at that.
    No question, I knew my opinion would not be politically correct in these parts. Your response doesn't surprise me at all. Not everyone is as hard to offend as I am...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I agree. Years ago my neighbor, a Viet Nam War vet, committed suicide in large part because of the emotional trauma he suffered from as a result of his military service. He was ill and he made a bad decision, one that extremely hurt his family, but I never thought less of him as a human being.
    I do think there was something going on in his mind and that's the story I'm most interested in. Could be post concussion; could be something else. I'd like to know more about the demons he battled.

As I type this right now, I'm thinking about how good a football player he was; not about him as a great human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No question, I knew my opinion would not be politically correct in these parts. Your response doesn't surprise me at all. Not everyone is as hard to offend as I am...
    You are so brave.

Also, I thought your post was offensive mostly because it demonstrated a lot of ignorance. I wasn't personally offended.

My question is could this be another case of a professional athlete that couldn't adjust to not being a professional athlete?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?