Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Re: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Sun Deck,

I think there is that false sense of security with equipment technology that allows guys to sacrifice their bodies. The article I read pointed that out. Its the same dynamic that causes safety features in vehicles to have the opposite effect on drivers than is intended, whereby there is a tendency to drive more aggressively because of the security that safety features will prevent serious injury. The same thing goes on the in head of a football player.
    I absolutely think there is a false sense of security. There was an article years ago in the WSJ proposing banning the helmet or going back to leather helmets as a way to limit head injuries.

On a personal note I have found a difference in the way I ski when I have a helmet on as opposed to a regular winter hat. You tend to "feel" more invincible, take more risks, realize that if you do get out of control you have a helmet to protect your head.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It may not have to be so tragic. If insurance companies stop insuring these players because it's too great a risk, that may spell the end of youth football as we know it.
    Yes, I've been thinking for quite some time that this is where we're headed.

A friend of mine from England made the observation over 10 years ago that he thought the equipment football players wear leads to more injuries than in a sport like rugby which, while it can be violent, doesn't seem to suffer from nearly as many serious injuries.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Think anyone will watch NFL flag football?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Seau's family sues NFL:

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed Wednesday in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. It says Seau developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits, and accuses the NFL of deliberately ignoring and concealing evidence of the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...th-suit-vs-nfl
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Im sorry, but this is just wrong. Even if doctors per say didnt know the full effect of damages caused by playing football, everyone with any common sense knows that you can get hurt playing the sport..OR DOING ANYTHING for that matter. If he got clocked and had a hard time concentrating on the field and he felt like something wasnt right (which everyone who has had a concussion knows) then he should have been smart enough to take himself out of the game.

You know the Risk...except it. I know the risk everytime I get in my car and drive that if I wreck I could die or be severely injured. Its common sense and people are acting like its something new to them..

If you look at the stance the NFL, until VERY recently, has taken towards concussions and permanent brain damage, and what has since come out regarding their knowledge concerning this issue as far back as the early 90s, late 80s, I think they're in trouble.

The NFL knew it was just a matter of time before they were sued for this. They knew this day was coming long before Seau died. I think they were more worried about a class action suit (which still is likely to come) than a wrongful death suit, but litigation around concussions was going to happen.

I don't know if the family will get a sizeable settlement, but this could be the thing that has the most impact on making real change in the NFL. It will be interesting to watch how the NFL responds. They're going to have little choice but to fight it regardless of cost. If they settle, or if the judgement goes against them, it will be disastrous for them financially. Former players will be lining up to go next.

Seems like it will all hinge on how much was known by the NFL and whether or not they attempted to hide it. Whether a legit lawsuit or not, it's a monumental event in the history of the NFL.

This is a fascinating thing to ponder. The NFL has blown by every other domestic sport in popularity, revenue, enthusiasm, culture, etc..... There's never been anything like what we see with the NFL right now. But I don't think it's that far-fetched to think the sport is going to look completely different in 20 years. The impact of brain research and knowledge is already impacting participation in the sport for youth, but the spotlight something like this will put on the risks of playing football could be crippling to the long run sustainability of the sport that's so popular now.

I'm not predicting it will fade away, only that it wouldn't surprise me. However, it would surprise me if the sport doesn't at least look at lot different than it does now.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

I don't know if the family will get a sizeable settlement, but this could be the thing that has the most impact on making real change in the NFL. It will be interesting to watch how the NFL responds. They're going to have little choice but to fight it regardless of cost. If they settle, or if the judgement goes against them, it will be disastrous for them financially. Former players will be lining up to go next.

Seems like it will all hinge on how much was known by the NFL and whether or not they attempted to hide it. Whether a legit lawsuit or not, it's a monumental event in the history of the NFL.

Odds are the case will just get dismissed because the family's claim is preempted by federal labor law-- the court won't even have to reach the merits of the claim.

I think we'll see a bigger effect in the negotiations for the next CBA, with the players demanding some form of compensation for or protection from head injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Odds are the case will just get dismissed because the family's claim is preempted by federal labor law-- the court won't even have to reach the merits of the claim.

I think we'll see a bigger effect in the negotiations for the next CBA, with the players demanding some form of compensation for or protection from head injuries.
    What do you make of the larger suit now in the works by the Players Assoc? Do you see it being settled out of court? Do the players have a case? Is it similar to the smoking case when the tobacco companies withheld evidence of the dangers of smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post

What do you mean by "odds"? I'm not an attorney but it would seem that it either is or isn't preempted by Federal labor law and that would be a pretty easy call by a judge.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Heard an attorney on Mike and Mike in the morning and Seau's family will be forced to provide that there was documentation that talked about the dangers of football and concealed them from the public. He also said that there must be a direct comparison between NFL football, head trauma, and Seau's death.

He also compared it to the cigarette litigation. He said there were whistle blowers in that litigation that said the cigarette companies had documents about the adverse health effects that they squashed. If the NFL doesn't have such documents then Seau doesn't have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What do you mean by "odds"? I'm not an attorney but it would seem that it either is or isn't preempted by Federal labor law and that would be a pretty easy call by a judge.
    Yeah, it should be a pretty easy call, but the problem is that reasonable judges can come to different conclusions even when interpreting the same contract and same complaint.

The whole purpose of the preemption of claims that require interpreting a collective bargaining agreement, for instance, is to prevent judges in different jurisdictions from giving the contract different meanings. So, even if most judges would find that a contract says X (or that claim X is preempted), another judge might decide the contract says Y (or that claim X is not preempted).

If the NFL willfully obstructed/hid their true knowledge of head injuries/concussions etc., I don't see the CBA argument saving them.

Hell, there's probably provisions that negate CBA interpretations in cases of fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It will never come up, but if it did I would not allow my son to play football. It's a great sport and I do like to watch it, but this concussion thing is becoming a line over which I don't think responsible parents should cross.

My late father in law played football in college back in the mid fifties. I remember very clearly a discussion I had with him over twenty years ago in which he decried the modern game because the equipment had turned athletes into (his phrase) "human missiles". He said back in his day you couldn't afford to launch yourself at an opposing player, nor could you use a leather helmet as a projectile because you would knock yourself out of the game. You had to drag a guy down or hit them with your chest and wrap them up. I have heard for years of the value of putting your head down when you are about to get hit, but I never asked him about this, and I'm sure plenty of guys in leather helmets got their bells rung pretty good, but it's always struck me that a guy from an earlier era of the game made this observation a generation ago. I wonder how accurate he really was now.
    this makes me wonder what the ratio of head injuries is in a sport like rugby.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This is a fascinating thing to ponder. The NFL has blown by every other domestic sport in popularity, revenue, enthusiasm, culture, etc..... There's never been anything like what we see with the NFL right now. But I don't think it's that far-fetched to think the sport is going to look completely different in 20 years. The impact of brain research and knowledge is already impacting participation in the sport for youth, but the spotlight something like this will put on the risks of playing football could be crippling to the long run sustainability of the sport that's so popular now.
    I think you're right. It will happen gradually, but I've had discussions with other parents about our kids playing football (usually with guys like myself who played football) and the overwhelming response is "No way am I letting my son play that sport." There's a question as to whether my town (pop. 60,000) is going to be able to maintain a football program. They don't have the numbers for a freshman team and half of the JV team is needed to fill out the varsity roster.

And I live in the same town as Tom Brady and Bob Kraft. In fact Jonathan Kraft's 11 year-old son is playing soccer, not football (though I think he's got an older son who plays football). Obviously football's more deeply ingrained in places like Ohio/western PA and Texas, but the argument that "I did xyz and I turned out fine" doesn't seem to gain much traction in other facets of society (wearing a seatbelt, drunk driving, smoking, wearing a helmet when you ride a bike). I doubt football will prove to be an exception long-term. You can play sports which don't damage your brain.

The model for where football might go is boxing. It used to be massive, the only sport which could challenge baseball's supremacy during the Golden Era. It still does good business and is a popular gambling sport. Yet people are less interested in the average boxing card and mostly get worked up over megafights. Olympic boxing has gone way downhill (at least in the U.S.) and nowhere near as many kids get involved with Golden Gloves as they did 50 years ago. Most parents certainly don't want their kids getting their brains knocked around inside a boxing ring. I can see that kind of future for football - big events, less youth participation, generally older fan base, increasingly taking a back seat to other sports. Might be more like a 40-year process than 20.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?