Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Re: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't think football is about beauty or grace, it's about violence and power.
    Sure it is. So's rugby. But rugby looks like a "purer" sport. Maybe the equipment introduced into American football has spoiled the game.

I think the NFL plays on both sides. They want to prevent injuries while trying preserve some of the spectacular violence. I can't think of anything more violent, outside of NASCAR car wreck, than a quartback sack. The NFL has come up with these parsy rules about it. But if they want truly to prevent them, they could add another player on offense, or something.
    Last edited by Rojo; 05-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. But I think it's rather embarrassing people are defending suicide.
    Who is defending it?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Who is defending it?
    Nobody. But you see there's this thing call "black" and this thing called "white".

Talk about embarrassing, this thread is an embarrassment to Redszone. These are the times I wish those in charge here were more willing to cull the herd.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Sure it is. So's rugby. But rugby looks like a "purer" sport. Maybe the equipment introduced into American football has spoiled the game.

I think the NFL plays on both sides. They want to prevent injuries while trying preserve some of the spectacular violence. I can't think of anything more violent, outside of NASCAR car wreck, than a quartback sack. The NFL has come up with these parsy rules about it. But if they want truly to prevent them, they could add another player on offense, or something.
    I recall reading somewhere a few months ago a column on concussions and head injuries in the NFL which raised the question as to whether the NFL should move to a soft helmet, like those worn by rugby players or Peter Cech, the goalkeeper for Chelsea. I think the reasoning is that the softer material actually works two-fold, 1) by transferring less force from the helmet-to-helmet impact to the skull and brain, and 2) by removing the false sense of security players have with hard helmets. Players with hard helmets often lower their heads when going in for the big hit, thinking they're protected from the impact. The soft helmet would encourage players to keep their heads up when tackling, and wrap the ball carrier up for the tackle as opposed to launching themselves at other players.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Of course, it's naive and simplistic to say Seau was a great guy all the time, but I don't think committing suicide for reasons we don't understand (yet) should automatically cancel out the good he did while living.
    I wouldn't word it that way. I'd say suicide should be taken into consideration when evaluating whether someone is a stellar human being. I won't go so far as to say it makes him a creep but it does lessen him as a person in my mind as does the stories of him assaulting women.

The woman had told authorities that Seau assaulted her during an argument.

http://arizonasports.com/75/1536068/...alifornia-home

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Who is defending it?
    Well, I certainly have people on my back for saying he's selfish. I would certainly call that defending his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Nobody. But you see there's this thing call "black" and this thing called "white".
    You forgot "Red" too.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Talk about embarrassing, this thread is an embarrassment to Redszone. These are the times I wish those in charge here were more willing to cull the herd.
    +1.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I recall reading somewhere a few months ago a column on concussions and head injuries in the NFL which raised the question as to whether the NFL should move to a soft helmet, like those worn by rugby players or Peter Cech, the goalkeeper for Chelsea. I think the reasoning is that the softer material actually works two-fold, 1) by transferring less force from the helmet-to-helmet impact to the skull and brain, and 2) by removing the false sense of security players have with hard helmets. Players with hard helmets often lower their heads when going in for the big hit, thinking they're protected from the impact. The soft helmet would encourage players to keep their heads up when tackling, and wrap the ball carrier up for the tackle as opposed to launching themselves at other players.
    I think if they do that, they either have to eliminate shoulder pads or design them somewhat differently so you don't have some 250 lb. linebacker leveling a ballcarrier who has a soft helmet or none at all. You think there are concussions now? If a ballcarrier - usually a QB - hits his head against the ground while being tackled, he's going to get his bell rung if he's wearing a soft helmet or none at all.

The NFL is a quarterback league. They are the big stars. More and more over the past decade the NFL has moved to protect the QB better. There are fans and others who complain about this. However, the NFL knows where their bread is buttered. The fewer star QBs there are, the worse it is for the NFL. Maybe they should go overboard to protect QBs. But let's say you eliminate he;mets or go to the soft ones except for the QBs. Let them wear the current type of helmets with one caveat: The QB cannot run beyond the line of scrimmage. That evens things up somehow for the defense and protects the QB from some of those hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It sounds good if the goal is to reduce concussions. But that might fall into the "those who forget history" bin -- the reason today's helmets exist is because scores of kids were dying every year from skull fractures playing football.

In all honesty, I'm not sure there's a good answer here. Just a question of figuring out which risks are least bad.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

In the case of Petr Cech, he suffered a depressed skull fracture. His wiki article makes no mention of if there was an associated concussion (he undoubtedly suffered brain trauma). I also don't know if FIFA allows for any hard objects on players like a hard-shelled helmet.

That said, I think it's hard to ignore the evidence that modern football equipment has allowed players to be more risky and hasn't made the game any safer. I expect the Seau autopsy to show there to be substantial brain damage. He was in the trenches far more than Chris Henry and had a much longer career.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-05-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think if they do that, they either have to eliminate shoulder pads or design them somewhat differently so you don't have some 250 lb. linebacker leveling a ballcarrier who has a soft helmet or none at all. You think there are concussions now? If a ballcarrier - usually a QB - hits his head against the ground while being tackled, he's going to get his bell rung if he's wearing a soft helmet or none at all.

The NFL is a quarterback league. They are the big stars. More and more over the past decade the NFL has moved to protect the QB better. There are fans and others who complain about this. However, the NFL knows where their bread is buttered. The fewer star QBs there are, the worse it is for the NFL. Maybe they should go overboard to protect QBs. But let's say you eliminate he;mets or go to the soft ones except for the QBs. Let them wear the current type of helmets with one caveat: The QB cannot run beyond the line of scrimmage. That evens things up somehow for the defense and protects the QB from some of those hits.
    If that happens, I'm done with the NFL and I'll stick with College Football.

QBs reduced to robotic dropback passers = sheer boredom to me.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    If that happens, I'm done with the NFL and I'll stick with College Football.

QBs reduced to robotic dropback passers = sheer boredom to me.
    Any changes the NFL decides to make will trickle down all the way to high school. And eventually there are going to be rule changes. Once they lose a couple of huge lawsuits they're going to have trouble getting insurance, and at that point it's hard to see how they continue with the status quo.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm guessing when the study of his brain is completed, it will be revealed that he was living with significant brain damage from possibly hundreds of concussions over several decades of using his body like a missile. If this comes to pass, will those who have condemned him apologize or feel a little bit bad for saying what they said about him?

Turn Off Ads?