Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Great Article on College Playoff by Dan Wetzel

Great Article on College Playoff by Dan Wetzel

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great Article on College Playoff by Dan Wetzel

I simply don't understand why a 1-AA (sorry, FCS) style playoff can't be adopted. The conference champs from leagues perceived to be inferior would get a chance to prove otherwise, the best second place teams from strong leagues would still get in and the bowl system could be maintained to reward everyone else. I know the money arguments are made, but don't you think a first round game between, say, Ohio State and UC in Ohio Stadium would be an absolute bonanza?

I like a final four type deal, anything more and you begin to make the regular season pointless, much like 70 percent of college basketball before January.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I simply don't understand why a 1-AA (sorry, FCS) style playoff can't be adopted. The conference champs from leagues perceived to be inferior would get a chance to prove otherwise, the best second place teams from strong leagues would still get in and the bowl system could be maintained to reward everyone else. I know the money arguments are made, but don't you think a first round game between, say, Ohio State and UC in Ohio Stadium would be an absolute bonanza?
    It's the bowls and resistance to change. The bowls have been around for so long that hey are hard to get rid of. And, as Wetzel wrote, if ADs are getting perks from these bowls, they aren't going to be very likely to want to change any system that stops the gravy train(s).

FCS has only been around for about 30 years. Since the NCAA had playoffs for Divisions II and III, and few people were crying for playoffs for the Division I-A teams, a playoff for I-AA seemed to be logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I totally agree.
    My alma mater, Marshall University, was in 1-AA in the 1980s through 1996. The playoffs were terrific. A 16 team playoff resulted in a champion being selected on the field not in the polls before Christmas. With an 11 game regular season, no team played more than 15 games.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Higher seed should host until the championship game. The championship game should be rotated throughout the country, not just current bowl sites.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I totally agree.
    My alma mater, Marshall University, was in 1-AA in the 1980s through 1996. The playoffs were terrific. A 16 team playoff resulted in a champion being selected on the field not in the polls before Christmas. With an 11 game regular season, no team played more than 15 games.
    Had it not been for Marshall's unexpected run in '87 they may never have got a chance at the 1-AA title in future years. The playoffs were a blast and certainly let teams earn it on the field rather than on the rankings sheet. The university also made out very well financially in the process.

Turn Off Ads?