Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Adam Yauch, AKA MCA from the Beastie Boys

RIP Adam Yauch, AKA MCA from the Beastie Boys

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-48-20120504

Shame.. One of my favorite albums of theirs, Check Your Head, got so many plays in my CD Player growing up, that I've had to buy the album at least 4 times. Too soon.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Adam Yauch, AKA MCA from the Beastie Boys

I almost can't reconcile myself to being in a world where a Beastie Boy can die.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Wow I thought I remembered reading sometime recently that his cancer was in remission and he was doing okay.

They were just so instrumental in introducing a lot of us to hip hop. Sure they weren't conventional, they were slammed by both sides early on as being fake, but in the end they just loved music and it showed in all they did. Paul's Boutique, Licensed to Ill, Check your Head....there was just something about those albums and songs that was rebellious, fun, and at the same time familiar.

They were not 'street' at all. A few jewish kids shouldn't, by all rights, know a thing about hip hop music, but they melded it with rock beats and metal guitars from time to time and it felt good, it felt right, it was something new [all due respect to Run DMC/Aerosmith]. Through them I was introduced to other music. My shell was broken and I listened to a lot of other good music that I otherwise might have initially turned my nose up at.

Adam will be missed thats for sure. I hope their new album still sees the light of day, but you can't help but think this is the end of the Beasties as well.

My name is MCA I've got a license to kill.
    I think you know what time it is, its time to get ill.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

A part of my adolescences died today. RIP MCA

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    They were just so instrumental in introducing a lot of us to hip hop. Sure they weren't conventional, they were slammed by both sides early on as being fake, but in the end they just loved music and it showed in all they did. Paul's Boutique, Licensed to Ill, Check your Head....there was just something about those albums and songs that was rebellious, fun, and at the same time familiar.

They were not 'street' at all. A few jewish kids shouldn't, by all rights, know a thing about hip hop music, but they melded it with rock beats and metal guitars from time to time and it felt good, it felt right, it was something new [all due respect to Run DMC/Aerosmith]. Through them I was introduced to other music. My shell was broken and I listened to a lot of other good music that I otherwise might have initially turned my nose up at.

Adam will be missed thats for sure. I hope their new album still sees the light of day, but you can't help but think this is the end of the Beasties as well.

My name is MCA I've got a license to kill.
    I think you know what time it is, its time to get ill.
    Nice summation. What made them unique and appealing was that as white rappers, they embraced their dorky whiteness instead of acting like cool black rappers. Their lyrics and antics were exactly what you'd expect from some Jewish boys from Manhattan.

RIP - Rap In Peace
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I'm glad MCA at least lived long enough to see the band inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Joseph hit the nail right on the head. The Beasties, with a mixture of Rock/Metal/Hip-Hop were truly a groundbreaking band. And this coming from somebody who 95% of the time hated/hates anything remotely similar to Rap/Hip-Hop.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

MCA authored one of my all time favorite rap lines: "Like a lemon to a lime, a lime to a lemon, I'm super def ill with all the fly women."

He made that work.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

IMO, Paul's Boutique is the greatest hip-hop album ever.

RIP MCA

Huge Huge loss.

The Beastie's were one of the great unifying forces of the universe.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?