Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who has had the most impressive start to the season?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Bruce

9 13.04%
  • Aroldis Chapman

32 46.38%
  • Johnny Cueto

28 40.58%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most impressive start to season?

Most impressive start to season?

Here are your contenders

Jay Bruce
    .304 BA 8 HR 18 RBI .988 OPS 3 SB

Aroldis Chapman
    0.00 ERA 0.68 WHIP .111 BAA 10 games 2-0 13.1 innings 23K 4BB

Johnny Cueto
    1.31 ERA 0.99 WHIP .225 BAA 6 games 3-0 41.1 innings 26K 7BB

BTW, completely unrelated, has anyone noticed that Joey Votto has struck out more times than Jay Bruce and the same number as Drew Stubbs in fewer ABs?
    Last edited by buckeyenut; 05-05-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most impressive start to season?

My vote is for Chapman.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

All of them have been good, but Chapman has been stunning.

Would say Bruce if it wasn't for a 25 AB slump but gotta go with Cueto. I thought he's be good but didn't expect this good.

Chapman, hands down.. His numbers look like they are off MLB 2K
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    My vote is for Chapman.
    It's much more impressive to do what Cueto has done in 41 innings than a middle reliever throwing 13 shutout innings. I don't understand how so many people think it's more impressive to throw 3 shutout innings a week than be a dominant stopper in the rotation.

Chapman's krate is approaching 16 per 9 and he's racked up nearly the same WAR as Ceuto in a third of the innings. That's dominant by any definition.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Cueto is looking like an ace.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I expected Cueto to take at least a small step back from last season. So far he looks like he's taking steps forward.

The most impressive start is a no doubter to Chapman. I think, however, when we look back in October, Cueto will have had the better season.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

I went with Bruce, because unlike the other two, he does it every day. Seems like I am the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's much more impressive to do what Cueto has done in 41 innings than a middle reliever throwing 13 shutout innings. I don't understand how so many people think it's more impressive to throw 3 shutout innings a week than be a dominant stopper in the rotation.
    Agreed.

I also agree that Bruce has been very impressive but he has not been dominant like Cueto.

Why Chapman is in the poll and Ondrusek isn't, is beyond me (I guess it's the strikeouts). Logan has been just as good and important in the bullpen.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    Agreed.

I also agree that Bruce has been very impressive but he has not been dominant like Cueto.
    Bruce ranks 6th in the NL in OPS, 2nd in home runs and 9th in doubles.

Cueto ranks 3rd in ERA and 2nd in IP.

Pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Chapman's krate is approaching 16 per 9 and he's racked up nearly the same WAR as Ceuto in a third of the innings. That's dominant by any definition.
    The problem with using stats like WAR to make a point is that it varies from site to site. For example this site shows Johnny as leading the league in WAR with Chapman nowhere to be seen:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-leaders.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    From my perspective I'm more impressed with Chapman because I'm more surprised by Chapman. I expected Cueto to be extremely effective, whereas I simply hoped Chapman would be.

Turn Off Ads?