Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood called up

Travis Wood called up

to make the start for an ill Garza tomorrow. I wish for him the best, as I always liked him.

Okay, maybe not the best...I hope he does well, especially when pitching against the Cards, Brewers, Astros and Pirates. Reds? Not so much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Travis Wood called up

Wood reminds me of Ted Lilly. I hope he pitches good also. I didn't mind him all that much

Wish him the best. I actually like when traded Reds prospects do well. It reflects well on the organization. The more solid major leaguers the Reds produce, the better.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wish him the best. I actually like when traded Reds prospects do well. It reflects well on the organization. The more solid major leaguers the Reds produce, the better.
    Agreed...hated seeing him go, but you've got to give something to get something. I just had a funny feeling he would do very well and was surprised he had such a rough spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

He's 1-3 with an ERA over 5 in AAA. He clearly hasn't won the callup. He's not the pitcher he was a few yrs ago when he was 4-2 with an ERA of about 3 for our AAA club. That's not the sort of progression you want to see in a pitcher his age. I really had high hopes for him to be the junk balling lefty in our rotation but he's lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He's 1-3 with an ERA over 5 in AAA. He clearly hasn't won the callup. He's not the pitcher he was a few yrs ago when he was 4-2 with an ERA of about 3 for our AAA club. That's not the sort of progression you want to see in a pitcher his age. I really had high hopes for him to be the junk balling lefty in our rotation but he's lost it.
    I wouldn't write him off just yet. Cliff Lee put up around a 6.00 ERA and was sent to the minors in Cleveland a few years back, then went 22-3 and won the Cy Young a year later.

Left-handers develop different than righties do for some reason. Obviously Wood is no Cliff Lee, but I could see him having a decent career for somebody. It just may take a few years for him to get it figured out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    ERA's in the PCL should be taken with a grain of salt. He is limiting the walks. He is striking out lots of guys. That is what you want to see. If he can carry those skills to the majors, he will be fine.

He works out with Cliff Lee in the off season. I am sure he has learned a few things.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

I don't want to see him pitch against the Reds
    Most Vottomatic Player

Reportedly he is going back down after the start no matter how he does. Will be interesting to see what they would do if he goes out and repeats that Philly game....

I think Wood's ultimate fate will be the bullpen, but I think he can be very good there.

NL Central champs

The Dodgers vs Cubs game is being delayed. The pitching matchup is Harang vs Wood.

Game is finally underway, and it's on WGN.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Good first inning for Wood, although he does get the luxury of facing a Dodger lineup without Kemp.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?