Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 5/6/12 - Reds at Pirates

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: 5/6/12 - Reds at Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    When power pitchers like Latos can consistently throw breaking stuff for strikes (which Latos was able to do after the first inning), they are extremely difficult to hit. That was the biggest difference that I saw today- sliders pounding the strike zone in later innings.
    He actually never got a handle on his curve, but his sliders and his fastballs were hitting exactly where Hanigan was spotting him. He did a great job of mixing his speeds and locations, both elevation and inside/outside, but I don't think he calls his own game. I didn't see him shake off Hanigan even once. Also, he looked free and easy on his 107th pitch...if he doesn't come out for the 7th it'll be because the bullpen needs work, not because he's tired. All-in-all a great performance.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    He actually never got a handle on his curve, but his sliders and his fastballs were hitting exactly where Hanigan was spotting him. He did a great job of mixing his speeds and locations, both elevation and inside/outside, but I don't think he calls his own game. I didn't see him shake off Hanigan even once. Also, he looked free and easy on his 107th pitch...if he doesn't come out for the 7th it'll be because the bullpen needs work, not because he's tired. All-in-all a great performance.
    I agree about the curve, but I would say that the slider would be a big difference because, if I remember correctly, Latos has an elite slider according to any metric.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Might walk Bruce here to get to Heisey. Don't blame them
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

But Bruce gets antsy...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I agree about the curve, but I would say that the slider would be a big difference because, if I remember correctly, Latos has an elite slider according to any metric.
    Agreed. Also, I'm not sure he NEEDED to throw his curve for a strike. He got a couple big swing-and-misses on curves that dropped completely out of the zone. If we get more of this Latos throughout the season, we'll be happy Reds fans come October.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

President Hoover in to pitch.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dam.

Hope this doesn't signal a depression
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Hope he doesn't suck. <like a vacuum>

Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Latos lets the catcher call the game for him. Hanigan must call a better game than mes at this point
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

He may be the only Reds starter that does that. Cueto, and Arroyo I kno for sure call their own game

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    He may be the only Reds starter that does that. Cueto, and Arroyo I kno for sure call their own game
    Hanigan does better with Arroyo, who likes to call his own game, and Latos who likes to have the catcher call his game. That's odd. Why does Arroyo like Hanigan anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Hanigan does better with Arroyo, who likes to call his own game, and Latos who likes to have the catcher call his game. That's odd. Why does Arroyo like Hanigan anyways?
    that is odd. IDK, some guys prefer ceartain catchers. Arroyo used Hanigan last year also instead of Hernandez

That's the first hit Hoover's given up.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?