Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick vs Heisey in Dusty Baker's distorted mind

Ludwick vs Heisey in Dusty Baker's distorted mind

Why does Ludwick get nearly 3 times as many plate appearances vs Left-handed pitching (28 vs 11) than Heisey?

Is Dusty trying to sabotage the stats by giving Ludwick all of the easy matchups?

Is he trying to justify why Veterans, such as Rolen and Harris and Ludwick should get more playing time over the likes of Frazier, Heisey, etc., by intentionally giving the better opportunities to the Veterans, veterans who can't hit worth a didly, anyway?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ludwick vs Heisey in Dusty Baker's distorted mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Why does Ludwick get nearly 3 times as many plate appearances vs Left-handed pitching (28 vs 11) than Heisey?

Is Dusty trying to sabotage the stats by giving Ludwick all of the easy matchups?

Is he trying to justify why Veterans, such as Rolen and Harris and Ludwick should get more playing time over the likes of Frazier, Heisey, etc., by intentionally giving the better opportunities to the Veterans, veterans who can't hit worth a didly, anyway?
    Could be, but you already know that Dusty is nutzsy.

Too in depth for Dusty.

I agree with Dusty playing Ludwick vs lhp because even though in a small sample size Heisey is batting .188 with 88 plate apperances but of those 88 at bats hes struck out 49 times in his career. Im ok with Heisey only playing against Rhp for now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    I agree with Dusty playing Ludwick vs lhp because even though in a small sample size Heisey is batting .188 with 88 plate apperances but of those 88 at bats hes struck out 49 times in his career. Im ok with Heisey only playing against Rhp for now.
    And for his career, Heisey hits righties at a .275 clip and his OPS is almost .300 higher. Ludwick doesn't hit lefties as bad, but he still doesn't hit them well - .237 average.

I'll defend the skipper on this one for once.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    My only problem is that when Heisey was coming up in the minors, he was talked about as a possible platoon player only against lefties. The last two years his stats were heavily scewed towards hitting righties better. His minor league numbers are about even.

My problem is that Heisey lost a lot of weight over the summer and I think he is trying to adjust his swing accordingly - my suspicion is that if Heisey played against more lefties that you would see an improvement in his numbers. In 2009 when he was the Reds minor league player of the year he was at a similar size as this year.

I don't have a problem with them splitting time as neither of them have emerged, but I do have a problem with the overemphasis on match-ups with two guys that can hit both righties and lefties.

Neither one of them is hitting period. Frazier should be getting some starts in left field, whenever he's not giving Rolen a rest.

It's time to play the hot bat while it's hot!!!!

I didn't want to start a new thread just to say this, but I'm glad thhat Dusty took .183 hitting Ryan Ludwick and batted him 6th.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

...and bats Hanigan 8th.

Ludwick

SPLIT TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    vs Left - 30 3 7 2 0 2 6 4 1 7 0 0 .233 .343 .500 .843
    vs Right - 57 4 11 2 0 2 9 5 0 19 0 0 .193 .270 .333 .603

Heisey

SPLIT TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    vs Left - 20 1 5 2 1 0 1 2 0 3 0 0 .250 .318 .450 .768
    vs Right - 74 4 19 4 1 0 6 3 0 18 1 1 .257 .295 .338 .633

If Ludwick begins to hit with any consistency at what point do we begin questioning Drew Stubbs playing every day? Sadly, even before today's game Ludwick had higher OBP and slugging than Stubbs. If Stubbs continues his K rate and can't hit better than .230, do we start thinking about a 3/2 platoon where Ludwick, Heisey, & Stubbs platoon LF/CF depending on matchups? Or, alternatively, does Stubbs become expendable in a trade for a pitcher or 3B?

stubbs should be a pinch runner only

The three spots (3B, LF, CF) should be a 5 man rotation. The only thing certain is that Costanzo should be starting vs. RHP and Frazier vs LHP. For the second and third spot in the triumverate vs RHP, it's a tossup between Heisey, Frazier and Stubbs so I'd lean Heisey - Stubbs for the D.

vs RHP
    Costanzo minor league stats .365 - .450 - .558 - 1.008
    Heisey .257 - .295 - .338 - .633
    Frazier .220 - .289 - .463 - .752
    Stubbs .225 - .285 - .350 - .635
    Ludwick .193 - .270 - .333 - .603

Against lefties Frazier should start and any of the group of Heisey, Ludwick and Stubbs should/could start at the other two spots.

vs LHP
    Frazier .400 - .400 - .800 - 1.200
    Heisey .233 - .343 - .500 - .843
    Ludwick .233 - .343 - .500 - .843
    Stubbs .270 - .289 - .270 - .560

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    If Ludwick begins to hit with any consistency at what point do we begin questioning Drew Stubbs playing every day?
    Well, this is becoming an obsession for me, but I don't see how it should even require Ludwick proving anything. Stubbs has never proven he can hit... or be willing to change his ways in order to be a better hitter. Next guy up!
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Heya RV! #GBB
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?