Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vin Scully Play By Play

Vin Scully Play By Play

I've posted this before, thought I'd post it again for those members who never had a chance to hear it. Great PBP in my opinion.

Vin Scully calling the 9TH inning of Sandy Koufax perfect game in 1965.

http://archive.org/details/VinScully...axsPerfectGame

Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vin Scully Play By Play

In the offseason, when I have the blues, I listen to this to cheer me up. It always works.

I could listen to Vin Scully everyday, and never get bored. A once in a lifetime voice and personality.

Thanks
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In the offseason, when I have the blues, I listen to this to cheer me up. It always works.

I could listen to Vin Scully everyday, and never get bored. A once in a lifetime voice and personality.

Thanks

I've done the same thing while missing baseball on cold winter nights.

Wish I could find some old Waite Hoyt during rain delays telling his stories like he used to in the 60s during Reds games...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Last year when MLB Network was doing their 20 Greatest Games thing, game 6 from 1986 was #3. The broadcasters were Scully and Garagiola (a HOF broadcaster in his own right). Garagiola did the best thing he could do during the historic Mets rally, and just shut up and let Scully do his thing. I think Garagiola said about 5 words during that inning.

To me, it's like The Three Tenors...yeah, you could tell Domingo and Carreras were world-class opera voices, and then Pavoratti comes on and blows them away. Scully is the greatest.

So who are the top-5 greatest broadcasters?

My list:
    1. Scully
    2. Mel Allen
    3. Jon Miller
    4. Ernie Harwell
    5. Red Barber
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Wish I could find some old Waite Hoyt during rain delays telling his stories like he used to in the 60s during Reds games...
    If you ever find any let me know. I didn't get a chance to hear Hoyt as he was just before my time as a Reds fan. I would love to hear his stories.

Scully's the best I have ever heard. My top three:

Scully
    Harwell
    Garagiola

I just got a 4 volume CD set of Ernie Harwell from MLB.com. I haven't had a chance to listen to much of it yet but I'm sure it will be terrific.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Scully told a story last night about ice skating with Jackie Robinson.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Vin Scully is the best and I'm thrilled that he's still broadcasting, treating us to another year. This thread reminds me that I need to get my Extra Innings package for this year...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard that before. That was a thing of beauty. The only part about that call that I was disappointed with (mildly) was that after he struck out the last guy, Scully just went quiet for quite a while so we could hear the crowd I'm assuming. A bit of description on what the team was doing to Koufax would've been nice there.

I know many here don't care for Marty, but when he's actually doing PBP...I love listening to him too. And there aren't many guys who make better homerun calls than Marty.

My uncle gave me a cassette about ten years ago with a bunch of games where Waite Hoyt was announcing. I still have them and haven't even had the time to listen to them yet.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If you ever find any let me know. I didn't get a chance to hear Hoyt as he was just before my time as a Reds fan. I would love to hear his stories.
    I think I can help you guys out. I checked out The Best of Waite Hoyt In the Rain tape from the library and burned it onto CDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You can catch history right now on MLB Network. Scully announcing a live game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard that before. That was a thing of beauty. The only part about that call that I was disappointed with (mildly) was that after he struck out the last guy, Scully just went quiet for quite a while so we could hear the crowd I'm assuming. A bit of description on what the team was doing to Koufax would've been nice there.

I know many here don't care for Marty, but when he's actually doing PBP...I love listening to him too. And there aren't many guys who make better homerun calls than Marty.
    I think I'll respectfully disagree. It's a trait that Scully learned from Red Barber. It was Barber's belief that some times required the listener to just take in the crowd and their noise. I think too often anymore we're used to sound filling voids (and my wife chastises me on this regularly, my lack of empty sound space).

I know I've shared this about this broadcast, but it's featured in various printed baseball anthologies, and it just reads beautifully. When I searched the web for the transcript, I didn't readily find it, but here's what someone wrote about Scully's own Perfect Announcing:

Scully's call was, and still is, the best piece of baseball writing I've ever seen.

It's like a short story. with tension, rising and falling drama, great turns of phrase. AND IT CAME OFF THE TOP OF HIS HEAD,, at a moment when, like the man whose feat he was describing, he knew he had to be at the top of his game.

There's not a single misstep. Scully never once fumbles for a word, makes a false start or trips over himself. And unlike today's announcers, he knows exactly when not to speak. His 38 seconds of silence after the last strike to Kuenn -- his restraint in letting the crowd noise punctuate the event -- is broadcasting brilliance.

It's a masterpiece.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I agree with redsmetz, Vin did a perfect job calling a perfect game.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree that there's a time and place for silence and letting the event describe itself. And that was certainly a good place for it, but without pictures either the listener has to fill in all the voids himself. Just a small "and the team mobs Koufax on the mound as the crowd goes nuts" and THEN silence. I don't see anything wrong with constructive criticism. It was great, but not perfect IMO.

Turn Off Ads?