Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran - questions

Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran - questions

Are these guys making progress? Should they be at Bakersfield now or should they have stayed at Dayton another year?

These were two highly touted guys, their numbers aren't great, but should fans still be hopeful they can be good major league players?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran - questions

Yeah, kind of a downer seeing them struggle so badly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still have a lot more faith in Yorman than in Duran, simply because his tools are better, he has had better production in the past and historically, he hasn't struck out at insane rates at every stop of the way. Both probably need to be back in Dayton though, they are in over their heads in Bakersfield at this point.

Right now both should go back to Dayton, wiser heads would have thought they should never have moved up. Still time for them as both would only be college sophmores right now.

Yorman should be a Freshman in college or in his first year of professional ball. Duran is just a year ahead of him.

It feels like these guys have been around forever, but they are both still very young.

That said, I assume they become Rule V eligible within the next few years and minor league FAs not long after that -- so they need to keep progressing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Right now both should go back to Dayton, wiser heads would have thought they should never have moved up. Still time for them as both would only be college sophmores right now.
    Pardon me for asking a stupid question, but I just don't know, but who are the wiser heads in the Reds org that make the decisions where the minor leaguers go to start the season and if/when they are to move up/down during the course of the season?

Yorman was sent down... but not to Dayton.
    Last edited by billy bob; 05-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Yorman should be a Freshman in college or in his first year of professional ball. Duran is just a year ahead of him.

It feels like these guys have been around forever, but they are both still very young.

That said, I assume they become Rule V eligible within the next few years and minor league FAs not long after that -- so they need to keep progressing.
    Both Duran and Rodriguez are eligible for the rule five draft this year, which is why they're being rushed through the system--to find out whether they should be protected or not.

edit:
    Other than Junior Arias, they look like the only legitimate positional prospects the Reds have eligible for the rule five draft this year. However, the pitching is a completely different story. There are about a dozen relief prospects who are going to be considered for the draft, and I'd be shocked if the Reds retained all of them.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 05-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Pardon me for asking a stupid question, but I just don't know, but who are the wiser heads in the Reds org that make the decisions where the minor leaguers go to start the season and if/when they are to move up/down during the course of the season?
    Terry Reynolds gets the final say but gets a lot of feedback from the coordinators and coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Maybe they should have went to college; or at least saved some of their bonus money for school. It's not looking like those Pro paychecks will be around much longer if they don't figure it out.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Both Duran and Rodriguez are eligible for the rule five draft this year, which is why they're being rushed through the system--to find out whether they should be protected or not.

edit:
    Other than Junior Arias, they look like the only legitimate positional prospects the Reds have eligible for the rule five draft this year. However, the pitching is a completely different story. There are about a dozen relief prospects who are going to be considered for the draft, and I'd be shocked if the Reds retained all of them.
    Time to thin the herd a bit and use a few in deals or as sweeteners in larger trades.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Maybe they should have went to college; or at least saved some of their bonus money for school. It's not looking like those Pro paychecks will be around much longer if they don't figure it out.
    Dude, they never had a college option.....Yorman came from Venezuela, and Juan from the Dominican. It's not like they had Texas and other colleges following them around from the time they were 15.

Time accrual shouldn't start for international players until they are 19 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Dude, they never had a college option.....Yorman came from Venezuela, and Juan from the Dominican. It's not like they had Texas and other colleges following them around from the time they were 15.

Time accrual shouldn't start for international players until they are 19 btw.
    Is there a rule against it? I'd think they shouldn't be excluded from scholarships and student visas. Maybe it's just budgeting issues with recruitment travel?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Is there a rule against it? I'd think they shouldn't be excluded from scholarships and student visas. Maybe it's just budgeting issues with recruitment travel?
    Well, there is nothing against it.... but the issue is and always will be, these guys can sign long before they can go to college. Top it off with poor educational systems and well, college simply isn't going to be much of an option for a long time in these scenarios.

I'd send both of these guys back to Dayton.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?