Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran - questions

Re: Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran - questions

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't know who else needs to be protected, but we have a lot of chaff on the 40 man roster right now

Rolen, Cairo, Valdez, Wilson, Brackman, Constanzo, Negron, Phipps, Smith, Valaika.
    Exactly what I was going to respond. None of those you list would be on the roster come ST, If I were GM, at least one of Heisey and Stubbs would be gone too and probably a reliever or two (Massett, Ondrusek and/or Bray). You also don't know who (if anyone) might go in multi-player deals by the 1st of August. . Although not likely, it would shock me to see the Reds make a multi-player deal or two where they ship out more number than they receive. Anyone know who needs to be added to the 40-man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know who else needs to be protected, but we have a lot of chaff on the 40 man roster right now

Rolen, Cairo, Valdez, Wilson, Brackman, Constanzo, Negron, Phipps, Smith, Valaika.
    Stubbs
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

When considering these kinds of decisions, follow the money. $2.5 million in this case. He will be protected. Duran probably will too. But Rodriguez for sure.

Rolen, Cairo, Valdez, .
    While I agree with the other names, these three guys aren't chaff.
    No one better to take over their jobs at this point. Can't see how it would be argued that they aren't in the top 25 players the Reds have.

Especialy Vadlez. Every team needs an inexpensive backup SS. Obviously if he could hit better, he'd be a starter for another team, instead of our backup.

I guess my point from the other post was this: It's highly unlikely a team would take Duran or Rodriguez in the rule V draft this winter. They are years away from being ready for the majors (if ever). 25 man roster spots are too precious to waste on prospects like them who are going to contribute zero production for an entire year (other than maybe pinch running).

Back in the 80's with a 25 man staff, you could afford to rule V a position player (as the Padres did with Bip Roberts) and carry him all year. Now with 12 man pitching staffs, there's just no room to carry someone that will give you nothing the entire year.

I will say though, that it looks like it makes sense to add them to the 40 man roster.
    It's not as if the 40 man roster can't accomodate them.. I agree with your point there.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I dunno. Someone might grab Yorman just because he's showing flashes of what might be. I have less qualms about leaving Duran exposed. As redread points out its less likely anymore, especially for a position player, but you never know - a team with a 2 or 3 year window before competing might think what the heck and grab a guy. I'd think it would be a guy more advanced but I've seen some strange examples grabbed - sometimes returned later but it still messes with the player's development. I'd put YR on the 40 man but not JD.

Yorman made the team photo on BA's Hot Prospect List today.

Turn Off Ads?