Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs. Brewers Wednesday 5/9

Re: Reds vs. Brewers Wednesday 5/9

Had 'em all the way!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am shocked..did someone replace the old Dusty with a new one? He starts Fraizer in LF, uses Chapman like he should and then pulls the closer? When was the last time with the game still in doubt has Dusty EVER pulled the closer?
    I remember a game last year in Chicago where Dusty pulled Coco and Masset came in and got a big strikeout to end it.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Chapman with 3 wins...probably most on the team or at least tied?
    JC has 4 I believe
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Bakers Dozen

Can a reliever win a CY Young? Seriously Chapman has been that good this year, but damn so has Cueto. He reminds me a lot of Maddux. On some days he won't blow you away but his stuff moves, and he places it well. He's turned into an actual pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Dusty is an enigma. If you're going to have that kind of a hook for your closer, why not just let Chapman stay in, considering he has the best stuff on the whole staff? Baffling.
    Actually don't have a problem with Chapman coming out. If Cairo gets a hit, it's 3-0 or if he jacks one it's 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Actually don't have a problem with Chapman coming out. If Cairo gets a hit, it's 3-0 or if he jacks one it's 4-0.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Gotta be honest. I'd rather have Chapman out there with a 2-0 lead than Marshall with a 3-0 lead.

I would have left Chapman in. But it worked out. So it is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Can a reliever win a CY Young? Seriously Chapman has been that good this year, but damn so has Cueto. He reminds me a lot of Maddux. On some days he won't blow you away but his stuff moves, and he places it well. He's turned into an actual pitcher.
    Exactly. When Cueto was coming up through the minors, even when he made his major league debut, he was a thrower. Now he's a pitcher. I think I heard on the post-game show today that Cueto has a 2.00 ERA since the start of the 2011 season. That's bigtime, and of course right now he has an ERA of 1.10 for the 2012 season. He's a horse too. With some starters, you're thinking about pitch count from the first inning on. With Cueto, it's an afterthought. When he gets in the 85-95 range, he's just getting in rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Can a reliever win a CY Young?
    Sparky Lyle won a cy young. Then the next year the Yankees picked up Goose and Sparky was traded. Nettles said: "From Cy Young to sayonara".

If the season ended today the Reds would be on the outside looking in.

The Cardinals are a ridiculous +75 runs scored already. They are 2.4 runs per game better than their opponents. The second best team, Atlanta, is 0.8 runs per game better than their opponents. St. Louis' record is 20-11. Pythag has them at 23-8.

The top five teams in strength of schedule are all from the NL Central division by virtue of having played the Cardinals.

The Cardinals are scoring 5.61 runs per game. At that pace they will score 908 runs. Second-place Atlanta is almost a half a run a game behind that pace.

The Cardinals are allowing just 3.19 runs per game. At that pace they will allow just 517 runs. Washington is even better at 3.03 runs per game allowed.

If they maintain their current pace they will score 391 more runs than they allow. Pythag would work that out to be 120 wins.

To put that 391 into perspective let's look at the Big Red Machine. In 1975 and 1976 the Reds were +254 and +224 respectively. Not even in the same ballpark as 391. The 1927 Yankees were +2.4, same as St. Louis. The 2000 Mariners were only +300.

St. Louis' start is ill.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

The Cardinals are a ridiculous +75 runs scored already. They are 2.4 runs per game better than their opponents. The second best team, Atlanta, is 0.8 runs per game better than their opponents. St. Louis' record is 20-11. Pythag has them at 23-8.

The top five teams in strength of schedule are all from the NL Central division by virtue of having played the Cardinals.

The Cardinals are scoring 5.61 runs per game. At that pace they will score 908 runs. Second-place Atlanta is almost a half a run a game behind that pace.

The Cardinals are allowing just 3.19 runs per game. At that pace they will allow just 517 runs. Washington is even better at 3.03 runs per game allowed.

If they maintain their current pace they will score 391 more runs than they allow. Pythag would work that out to be 120 wins.

To put that 391 into perspective let's look at the Big Red Machine. In 1975 and 1976 the Reds were +254 and +224 respectively. Not even in the same ballpark as 391. The 1927 Yankees were +2.4, same as St. Louis. The 2000 Mariners were only +300.

St. Louis' start is ill.
    All of that....and we're just 3.5 out.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

St. Louis' start is ill.
    All that being said, those teams you listed at the end are all time great teams. This years Cardinals most believe will not keep up this pace, and the Reds are still only 3.5 out. I would be willing to bet that the Cardinal don't break 100 wins, won't happen.

Just to be clear, I don't think the Cardinals can keep it up either. But, you have to admit, those numbers are pretty staggering at this point in the season. As to only being 3.5 games out? If both teams continue playing at their current pace you can figure the Reds will be eliminated right around Labor Day, maybe a little after.

My post was only to offer a little perspective.

NOTE: Houston has played 25 games against teams above .500 and only 6 games against teams below. Now that is a rough schedule.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-10-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Just to be clear, I don't think the Cardinals can keep it up either. But, you have to admit, those numbers are pretty staggering at this point in the season. As to only being 3.5 games out? If both teams continue playing at their current pace you can figure the Reds will be eliminated right around Labor Day, maybe a little after.

My post was only to offer a little perspective.

NOTE: Houston has played 25 games against teams above .500 and only 6 games against teams below. Now that is a rough schedule.
    They seem to be cooling off a tad already. It is their pitching that is the real shocker. Westbook, Lohse, and especially Lynn, are pitching over their heads.

Check out Lynn's "luck stats":

BABIP: .209 (avg .270-.290 is average)

LOB: 93.8 % (77% or so is average)

Lynn's numbers are not even remotely sustainable.

Turn Off Ads?