Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Do Thom Brennaman and Chris Welch dislike each other?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do Thom Brennaman and Chris Welch dislike each other?

I've actually suspected this for a couple years now. Very often it seems like there is some on-air tension between Thom and Chris.

I always imagine the two of them arguing off-air and the hurt feelings still there when they go on-air.

Is it maybe because Thom acts like he knows everything about baseball and Chris resents that?

Is it issues unrelated to baseball that they argue about, like politics (I know Thom is a hardcore conservative like his dad, but I don't know Chris' politics)?

I also thought I remembered hearing something like when Thom was brought in by Foxsports for Reds games (I believe in 2008 but someone else here probably knows) he was something like the program director.

Did he have anything to do with George Grande leaving? I know it was said that Grande semi-retired to spend more time with his family but I've always suspected he didn't want Thom Brennaman as his boss.

And just the other day Thom and Jeff were doing a game together and Thom said something close to this to Jeff: "You know I'm not trying to start anything with you and I certainly wasn't trying to start anything with Chris".

To which Brantley replied, "Oh you two guys..."

Again I don't think that was the exact words used by them but it was pretty close to that.

And I will just say it I really enjoy listening to Chris Welch as I think he is by far the most insightful broadcaster the Reds have. And I also enjoyed George Grande as I thought he seemed like a nice guy and it was obvious George and Thom were good friends and got along very well. I was sad to see him go (I know people on here seem to hate Grande and I don't understand why but to each his own).

And I'm not a big fan of Thom but I love his dad Marty, so maybe I am reading way to much into all of this.

But I've mentioned this to my friends and fellow Reds fans and some of them have told me they too have noticed some on-air tension between the two of them.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 05-09-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Turn Off Ads?