Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 34*

Re: 34*

Imagine if this franchise had valued pitching at least 75% as they have valued hitting for the past fifty years, now that's something I could get behind
    Last edited by westofyou; 05-10-2012 at 09:57 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Once players leave the Reds, I could care less what they do. Unless they play against us that day, anyways. I'm not judging anyone who thinks otherwise, I get it, I guess I just don't really see the point of it personally.

As they say...

"It is what it is".
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

One thing that people are forgetting about keeping Hamilton here is that if he had not been traded and he put up the same numbers he has been putting up in TEX, he would have to be paid like he is in TEX i.e. $13.75M this season and eligible for free agency. So that's Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Arroyo and Cueto either making or due to be making a lot of money. Could they afford those players and Hamilton too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    One thing that people are forgetting about keeping Hamilton here is that if he had not been traded and he put up the same numbers he has been putting up in TEX, he would have to be paid like he is in TEX i.e. $13.75M this season and eligible for free agency. So that's Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Arroyo and Cueto either making or due to be making a lot of money. Could they afford those players and Hamilton too?
    Honestly if the Reds still had Hamilton on the field along with Bruce and Votto I'm not sure they couldn't easily pay those salaries. The amount of wins that would have been added would have been more than 3 or 4...(no idea what WAR says about Hamilton) I think playoffs would have happened more than once. I think a player like Hamilton brings three things...wins,fans and money.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    EE plays 3rd?
    Yes, 37 times in the last 1.2 seasons. Plays and plays well are different. A lot of mean responses to this thread. I'll be more careful not to hit your all's sensitive spots in the future.

Geesh.
    Last edited by powersackers; 05-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Yes, 37 times in the last 1.2 seasons. Plays and plays well are different. A lot of mean responses to this thread. I'll be more careful not to hit your all's sensitive spots in the future.

Geesh.
    I found your thread interesting and thought provoking and I think most other Redszoners did too. Good job.

Some people enjoy bashing other people's posts rather than actually adding something interesting to the conversation themselves. It is much easier to pooh-pooh someone else's idea than to come up with an original idea yourself. There are always going to be nitpickers and contrarians here. That is to be expected on the anonymous Internet where people mouth off in ways they would not in a face-to-face conversation. Just ignore them. I know I have a few of them on my block list.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Welcome to the new Redszone where members are passive aggressively made fun of for having an observation and sharing it.

Powersackers...yeah, it would have been awesome to have still had EE when he realized all the potential that a lot of us saw in him. Same with Josh.

Problem with a thread like this is certain members don't like being reminded how dead wrong they were about EE, for instance, or the EV for Josh trade, and come out with knives ready. It's a played and boring response, and this board used to be better than that.

I have no problem admitting that I was all for the EV for Josh trade, and that it has worked out I was dead wrong. Dead. wrong. I don't care how good the thinking was behind it, it ended up being just a supremely awful trade because Josh has kept his demons at bay and is the best offensive player in baseball at this point with one MVP under his belt and another maybe on the way. And it turned out EV had his own demons to deal with.

As for EE, him in LF at this point would have been awesome.
    Let me extend my apologies to powersackers if my posts came across as snide. You are perfectly welcome to post whatever you want.

For the record, though, my response had nothing to do with whether I was right or wrong about those moves in the past. I supported the Hamilton trade, more or less, and I think the EE deal was probably the right move at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

My tone -- which I regret -- probably had more to do with the fact that this kind of hypothetical thinking, about doing things over differently, in my opinion, doesn't really get us anywhere in a conversation other than a constant string of "What if" questions.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post

Geesh.
    Sorry if you thought my post was mean. It wasn't. But EE doesn't play 3rd. He is now a DH. Im not sure that you can consider him to be a potential third baseman for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sorry if you thought my post was mean. It wasn't. But EE doesn't play 3rd. He is now a DH. Im not sure that you can consider him to be a potential third baseman for this team.
    Powersackers was saying that if the Reds had not traded Encarnacion he could still be playing 3rd for the Reds and hitting all those home runs.

EE does still play quite a bit of third base. The main reason he does not play every day at third base is because the Blue Jays have one of the best young players in baseball and he plays third base (Brett Lawrie), so Edwin got moved. It wasn't because he can't play third base. Nobody will tell you that EE is a good third baseman defensively (his nickname is E5), but he can and does play there.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 05-10-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Imagine if this franchise had valued pitching at least 75% as they have valued hitting for the past fifty years, now that's something I could get behind
    Reds fans dig the long ball.

There are a lot of things that if I knew then what I know now, I would have done things differently. But rarely do you get take-backs in real life.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Powersackers was saying that if the Reds had not traded Encarnacion he could still be playing 3rd for the Reds and hitting all those home runs.
    That may be, but I never, ever want to see him play 3B defense in a Reds uniform ever again. He was terrible.

His WAR would look a lot different if he were playing 3B for the Reds, even if he was performing the exact same offensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Hamilton has averaged 125 games per year since the trade. That is a lot of missed games for an OF.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

The hypothetical situations are one thing if it's something that can happen going forward. But to borrow a line from LOST; "whatever happened, happened."

For starters, even accepting the hypothetical, the Reds lineup wouldn't have the same number of home runs with those players because of the dynamics of them being in a different environment with different teammates against different pitchers in different pitchers. There's no guarantee the Reds would even be any better at this juncture. But even if we could conclude they would be, I don't see why it matters. These players don't play for the Reds this year and they're not in the lineup. I'd think people would rather concentrate on the what is rather than the what if.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    You could just leave Dunn on the bench for ninth inning walk offs.
    With a man on third and a deep sac fly is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That may be, but I never, ever want to see him play 3B defense in a Reds uniform ever again. He was terrible.

His WAR would look a lot different if he were playing 3B for the Reds, even if he was performing the exact same offensively.
    Outside of the statistics the trade that ushered EE out if town was never about anything but getting Rolen on the team

It was a culture move and a dice roll on Scott's numbers

Jocketty (and likely Baker) wanted Rolen for a LOT of reasons, and seeing the sponges of young players in the organization was something that drove that trade.

In short EE could whack 30 HRs this year and the Reds still win this deal IMO, because intangibles.

And there's no price on those until they vanish, then you will see what they gave you

I think it's pretty clear that the post Larkin years were at best bedouin baseball playing and the brass was looking for a role model

Turn Off Ads?