Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peavy anyone?

Peavy anyone?

Talk the ChiSox may put him on the block.

3-1 in 6 starts 45.1 IP 39 K 6 BB 2 HR with a 1.99 ERA 0.75 WHIP 5.6 K/9 1.2 BB/9 211 ERA+ Owed $17M this year with a $22M Option and a $4M buyout.

Would you want him? What kind of a package could the reds put together that might land him? How much would Chicago have to kick in?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peavy anyone?

Too risky for me unless he comes super cheap.

NL Central champs

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Our SP's are doing just fine and if one of them struggles we can try Chapman as a starter. There is no need for the Reds to look at Peavy with the size of his contract and the way our pitching is performing right now.

I'd trade one of Bailey or Leake for him plus a prospect if Chicago sent along $7 million and the buyout money to use either way the Reds want (buyout or defray next year's salary). I doubt the Chisox would do that. Then I'd put Chappy in the rotation. Cueto-Latos-Peavey-Arroyo-Chappy with Leake or Bailey in long relief and starting insurance. What a rotation that would be. Chappy could double up with the guy who stayed for his first few games ie Leake starts goes 4 then Chappy goes the rest of the way or at least through the 8th. Rinse and repeat. Then Chapman starts goes 5 and Leake finishes off. Rinse and repeat. Then let Chapman go as far as he can after that. You've eased him into the rotation. You've added Peavey and given the Reds a terrific deep 5 man rotation. You have Leake or Bailey for next year's 5th man if you let Peavey go and the year after you have Cingrani and Corcino close to ready to go. It works.

As good as he looks, that's just too much money.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

About what I expected and I agree. The only two moves I'd like to see would be another solid bat in LF (or even 3B) and another top bullpen arm that would make it easier to move Chapman to the rotation (and I'm not even sure the last one is necessary). I do want them to add another very solid bat though.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Peavy makes $17M this year with a $4M buyout for 2013.
    Dunn is signed through 2014 - $14M/2012, $15M/2013, $15M/2014.

White Sox send $20M and trade Peavy and Dunn to the Reds for Heisey, their choice of Bailey or Leake, Soto, and Gregorius.

It will never happen though. Too much money that the Reds cannot afford to absorb.

But Dunn has hit 5 HR's in his last 10 games. His batting average this year is at .243, which is his career batting average. He's also walked 25 times. His OBP is at .384. If he batted cleanup, he'd more than likely be on base for Bruce and give some protection to Votto. You'd have 3 lefty bats in a row, but who cares.

Peavy's numbers look really impressive. Sub-2.00 e.r.a., 44 K's in 52 IP, and only 35 hits allowed. 0.80 WHIP which shows good command and very few walks (7 in 52 IP). Plus his strength is back because he's pitched 2 complete games in 7 starts. He's averaging 7.4 IP per start. Impressive.

I'd actually be interested in this trade if they could get creative on the $$$$. Reds would have to throw in some additional prospects to get the ChiSox to pony up more cash.

But again, it won't happen because of the amount of money and the length of Dunn's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

White Sox send $20M and trade Peavy and Dunn to the Reds for Heisey, their choice of Bailey or Leake, Soto, and Gregorius.

It will never happen though. Too much money that the Reds cannot afford to absorb.

But Dunn has hit 5 HR's in his last 10 games. His batting average this year is at .243, which is his career batting average. He's also walked 25 times. His OBP is at .384. If he batted cleanup, he'd more than likely be on base for Bruce and give some protection to Votto. You'd have 3 lefty bats in a row, but who cares.

Peavy's numbers look really impressive. Sub-2.00 e.r.a., 44 K's in 52 IP, and only 35 hits allowed. 0.80 WHIP which shows good command and very few walks (7 in 52 IP). Plus his strength is back because he's pitched 2 complete games in 7 starts. He's averaging 7.4 IP per start. Impressive.

I'd actually be interested in this trade if they could get creative on the $$$$. Reds would have to throw in some additional prospects to get the ChiSox to pony up more cash.

But again, it won't happen because of the amount of money and the length of Dunn's contract.
    Peavy for Leake would lock up the central for the Reds. Imagine running Cueto, Peavy, and Latos, with Bronson on a bounce back year...

Interesting, but I don't want Dunn for the next three years at those prices.
    I agree that he's bounced back, but last season he practically admited to "letting things slide". He'd probably be motivated by a trade back to Cincy, but what about the next 2 years? Would he get too comfortable again and become 2011 Dunn? What if the Reds got off to another slow start? It's a tough fit because the Reds can't put him at 1b too. (I'm not moving Votto to LF )

I'm not even sure I would trade Homer or Leake (and prospects) for a one year rental of Peavy. It would hurt the team in 2013.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Interesting, but I don't want Dunn for the next three years at those prices.
    I agree that he's bounced back, but last season he practically admited to "letting things slide". He'd probably be motivated by a trade back to Cincy, but what about the next 2 years? Would he get too comfortable again and become 2011 Dunn? What if the Reds got off to another slow start? It's a tough fit because the Reds can't put him at 1b too. (I'm not moving Votto to LF )

I'm not even sure I would trade Homer or Leake (and prospects) for a one year rental of Peavy. It would hurt the team in 2013.
    I dunno.

Chapman could always start. Hoover spent most of the time in the minors starting with an e.r.a. hovering a little over 3.00. Francis is still in triple AAA. We have Bronson another year (2013). Corcino and Cingrani will probably be in double AA some time this year and continue moving up, hopefully.

I never thought I'd say this, but the Reds have a logjam of pitching with different ways they could go. If you obtained Peavy for either Bailey or Leake (and some prospects), the rotation is very strong this year. If and when Masset and Bray return to the bullpen, who goes? Talk about depth.

If you obtained Dunn, you finally have that legit cleanup hitter the Reds have been lacking since Dunn left. And GABP is suited for Dunn. 2 more years of his contract is the big problem.

Then you trade for Youkilis to play 3B..............just kidding.

Too much money, but it's very intriguing. Peavy would make the rotation one of the strongest in baseball. Dunn at cleanup would solve even more problems.

Too much money, but it's very intriguing. Peavy would make the rotation one of the strongest in baseball. Dunn at cleanup would solve even more problems.
    But you know Dusty likes to break up the lefties! The world's going to end if Dunn were brought back as Dusty may try and find any reason to not bat two lefties back to back.

I like the idea it's a creative idea but like others have said way too much money would have to come back to offset the books. Unless you think Rolen's willing to go to AL where he could DH more and be healthier and you think Frazier is worth an everyday look at 3b?

Lineup:
    Phillips 2b
    Cozart ss
    Votto 1b
    Dunn LF
    Mesoraco CA
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3b
    Stubbs CF
    Pitcher?

Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

If you obtained Dunn, you finally have that legit cleanup hitter the Reds have been lacking since Dunn left. And GABP is suited for Dunn. 2 more years of his contract is the big problem.

Then you trade for Youkilis to play 3B..............just kidding.
    Cozart
    Philiphs
    Votto
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Youkilis
    Stubbs
    Mes or Hanigan..

That lineup scores a lot of runs over the next few years...They would send 80% of NL starters packing after 5 because of pitch counts.

Also remember Mes projects in two to three years as a #4 hitter.

Haven't really kept up with Dunn much. Is he even capable of playing the OF anymore?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 05-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.

We needs Runs Scored, not Runs Prevented...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We needs Runs Scored, not Runs Prevented...
    They both have a positive effect on run differential, I don't see a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?