Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Didi Gregorius vs. Zack Cozart...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Didi Gregorius vs. Zack Cozart...

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Didi better have a great glove because I don't see much in his stat lines to get excited about.
    Walks nearly as much as he strikes out. That is a solid base to work from. He has a lot more power than he has shown in his career, again though, that is seemingly by his design rather than by his ability. I would like to see him go out there and try to hit for power some time though, for a month straight or so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I would consider Didi a candidate for backup 2b-SS-3b guy like Valdez, but Cozart has a nice amount of pop for a SS with a good glove. He'll be 28 in 2014 and could potentially hit 25 hr. Unless the Reds have a better offense in 2014, I don't see trading Cozart. Hamilton could change all that. Stubbs could get a bit expensive around then, if Hamilton ends up in CF that would cement Cozart at SS. I do like him at 3b if Hamilton sticks at SS, though.
    I understand what you're saying, and as I indicated above I really like Cozart a lot too. But, I still think that if you're not going to play Cozart or Gregorious (assuming he develops to the point of being starting SS material) at SS, then you're better off trading them. Their hitting potential looks really nice at SS given their defensive abilities (i.e., these are real Shortstops who can hit). That doesn't seem to be all that common of a commodity. Therefore, those guys should really have value in a trade. If you move one of them to another position, I think it would be a bit of a waste of talent and they would lose a lot of that value. As has been said, we have some pretty good looking future options for 3rd and I'm skeptical of Cozart being a 25 HR guy.

I see no problem with letting them compete for the job with the "loser" still getting their share of starts even if there isn't an out right platoon. Our bench has been a little enemic lately. The guy who isn't startinhg would probably be an offensive upgrade to the likes of Janish and Valdez off the bench. Both will be cheap for several years and I like having that kind of depth. It could alsoallow the Reds to move Hamilton to CF if that will help.

Doug,

Where do you see Didi's defense in 5 years...

All-star top 3 in the game?
    Good top 15 in the game?
    Average...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Maybe not Top 3 in the game, but I would say Top 10 in the Majors in terms of defense isn't out of the question at all.

Didi's defensive game is good at this point... Nothing to worry about... But its his offensive aproach that is not on track right now. I wonder what the problem is. On video i dont see the 2 strike approach anymore from the angle that they are shooting! Like somebody said in a earlier post... I sure hope he changes it to a more swing for the fence type aproach in the second half of the season!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Cozart is getting short shrift here, IMO. Very solid all-around game. Baseball instincts are sharp. Sometimes people get fooled by the lack of flash.

I'll guess he's the starter at SS for the next several years. Hamilton will move to a different position, and maybe Didi too. If one of them is traded, it'll be Gregorius. That's my speculative 2 cents.
    I agree with this.

I'd speculate Hamilton in CF and Gregorius either traded or future utility infielder. Cozart will very likely be the Reds' SS for the next 5+ years.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm thinking Hamilton in CF, Hrod or Vidal at 3d, BP at 2d as long as possible, Cozart and Didi splitting time at SS, with some time too at 2b or 3b.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm thinking Hamilton in CF, Hrod or Vidal at 3d, BP at 2d as long as possible, Cozart and Didi splitting time at SS, with some time too at 2b or 3b.
    H-Rod, Vidal, Frazier, or a newcomer (Kevin Youkilis or perhaps Clemson 3B Richie Shaffer) are all good candidates to man the hot corner for the next few years.

Gabriel Rosa is a guy to keep an eye on in the lower minors, although he's obviously several years away at this point.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?