Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning 1st-and-3rd Pickoff trick?

Re: Banning 1st-and-3rd Pickoff trick?

I think its not necessary to ban it. Its not used all that often.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    The strike zone has been interesting here in Indiana High School Baseball. Pretty consistent for 5 innings and then it magically shrinks.
    They are obviously doing it wrong.

The later the game goes, the sooner I want to go home, so the bigger the zone gets.

Give me names and I will straighten them out.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

The later the game goes, the sooner I want to go home, so the bigger the zone gets.

TEAM!

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Yeah, that's what we are usually used to, George. Been kinda crazy of late. Lot of younger guys.

Yeah, that's what we are usually used to, George. Been kinda crazy of late. Lot of younger guys.
    It will get better as he advances. Brownsburg as a rule usually gets good umps but even at the freshman level, your gonna get newbies.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Its worth keeping it just so I can have a good laugh once a year at the guy who falls for it.

For a Level Playing Field

This is so important... unlike a DH in one league and not the other, the AS Game winner allows the team that represents their league getting homefield advantage in the WS (and the DH used part time in the WS), a strike zone the size of a soup can, etc. Take care of this before anything else! The game depends on it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    This is so important... unlike a DH in one league and not the other, the AS Game winner allows the team that represents their league getting homefield advantage in the WS (and the DH used part time in the WS), a strike zone the size of a soup can, etc. Take care of this before anything else! The game depends on it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The strike zone has been interesting here in Indiana High School Baseball. Pretty consistent for 5 innings and then it magically shrinks.
    When my son was playing Little League, we had a new kid umping and he was calling all sorts of things strikes, most out of the zone. The young umpire said to me, when I questioned them, they should be swinging at those. I asked how my kids were supposed to learn the strike zone when he was making calls like that. Then he called the shortest kid on the team out on a third strike that easily was 4-5 inches over his head. I just laughed and said something akin to, "Son, that won't be a strike on him for another five years."
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Plus it gives Marty something to get worked up about.
    That doesn't take much.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Check out this fake pickoff throw that worked in a HS game. I've never seen anything quite like it. Just about every position player on the field sold the fake perfectly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...104518770.html

What is it in the water out there in Browsburg...that plays seems like a baseball gold mine over the years!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Check out this fake pickoff throw that worked in a HS game. I've never seen anything quite like it. Just about every position player on the field sold the fake perfectly.

I've seen that one several times over the years and have never seen it work. Matter of fact, we've seen it so much that we always warn our kids about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

Someone needs to teach the catcher how to make a tag. The head tag can start a brawl.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Someone needs to teach the catcher how to make a tag. The head tag can start a brawl.
    So can the late slide, which induced the head tag. Maybe teach that kid how to slide first...

Turn Off Ads?