Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Birthdays: 5/11

  1. #1
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,716

    Birthdays: 5/11

    Reds:

    Francisco Cordero (37) -He's had a fine career, but he's been walking a thin line the last few seasons, and this year, well...

    Milt Pappas (73) -First pitcher to win 200+ games without ever having a 20-win season. Was put into a difficult situation after the Robinson trade, and didn't make it any easier due to his somewhat acerbic personality...In 1982, Pappas's wife disappeared from their home and was missing for five years. There were even rumors that she'd been murdered by a satanic cult. Her body was finally recovered in 1987 when workers draining a pond found her in her car. The theory is that she may have made a wrong turn at night, possibly under the influence (she was a recovering alcoholic).

    Others:

    Bobby Witt (48) -In June of 1997, Bobby become the first American League pitcher in 25 years to hit a home run.

    Floyd Youmans (48) -He was a childhood friend of Dwight Gooden, and the Mets ended up drafting Gooden in the first round and Youmans in the second. Floyd had a few good years with the Mets and Expos (after being traded for Gary Carter), but like Dwight he struggled with substance abuse issues.

    Rip Sewell -Full name Truett Banks Sewell... Inventor of the "Eephus" pitch, a high lob with backspin, after a toe injury forced him to change his delivery. He never gave up a homer with it in the regular season, but Ted Williams famously jacked one in the All-Star Game. By the way, the "Eephus" was named by outfielder Maurice Van Robays, who said "Eephus means nothin', and that pitch ain't nothin'"...

    Charlie Gehringer -Nicknamed the "Mechanical Man" for the relentlessly consistent high level of his play. in the first six All-Star Games, no one else played an inning at second base for the American League...Even when he was one of the biggest stars in baseball, he lived at home with his mother and worked off-seasons as a sales clerk at Hudson's Department Store in Detroit. He finally married at age 49, and he took it seriously- he skipped his own HOF induction ceremony because it was five days before his wedding and he wanted to focus on that...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,725

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Bobby Witt (48) -In June of 1997, Bobby become the first American League pitcher in 25 years to hit a home run.
    When I see/hear Witt's name the first thing that comes to mind is "the guy with a lot of near no-hitters". Not sure how many he had or why I think that.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  4. #3
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,326

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    When I see/hear Witt's name the first thing that comes to mind is "the guy with a lot of near no-hitters". Not sure how many he had or why I think that.
    There were two instances I believe.... One where he had a one hitter and the hot came on a controversial safe at first call and another game where he hadn't yielded a hit through five innings, but was yanked because of his pitch count... 10 K's and 8 BB's through five. Wow

  5. #4
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,149

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    One of the many colleges I attended was a small school in OKC that played a game against OU with Witt pitching. Everybody knew he was a future major leaguer and was excited about facing him. Several of the players were sure they vould hit him.

    Iirc, they got one hit.

  6. #5
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,326

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    One of the many colleges I attended was a small school in OKC that played a game against OU with Witt pitching. Everybody knew he was a future major leaguer and was excited about facing him. Several of the players were sure they vould hit him.

    Iirc, they got one hit.
    Out of curiosity, which school?

  7. #6
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,149

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Out of curiosity, which school?
    Oklahoma Christian. College at the time, but every post-kindergarten school in the county is a university now. Only spent one year there, but almost got beat up by Dennis Rodman at a basketball game.

  8. #7
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,326

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    There is Oklahoma Christian, University of Central Oklahoma, and Oklahoma City University all within about a 20 mile radius here and I get them all confused all the time. OCU, UCO.... Yep, Rodman played his college ball down here... Glad you made it out alive....

  9. #8
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,047

    Re: Birthdays: 5/11

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

    Milt Pappas (73) -First pitcher to win 200+ games without ever having a 20-win season. Was put into a difficult situation after the Robinson trade, and didn't make it any easier due to his somewhat acerbic personality...In 1982, Pappas's wife disappeared from their home and was missing for five years. There were even rumors that she'd been murdered by a satanic cult. Her body was finally recovered in 1987 when workers draining a pond found her in her car. The theory is that she may have made a wrong turn at night, possibly under the influence (she was a recovering alcoholic).
    His full name is: Miltiades Stergios Pappastediodis


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25