Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake - What to do with him?

Re: Mike Leake - What to do with him?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think the need is for at least one more good hitter that could hit 4-6, and a high OBP guy. Getting one of those would spark the offense, getting both of them probably puts the offense back to one of the best in the league. Of course, the in house options could become those people as time goes on during the season through normalization. I think getting at least one more above average hitter would do wonders for the offense. Where he hits in the order is trivial.
    Agreed. They especially need to be guys who can hit against RHP. It's why the easiest upgrade may be to deal some of the midding propsects (who are top 10 guys in this organization as it stands now) for some platoon types who upgrade on the days the big split guys (Stubbs, Frazier, Cozart, etc) would be facing their bad side. For example, a lefty who could OPS .775 or so against RHP while sharing time with Frazier would make that spot a very solid spot in the line-up while Frazier by himself is a near auto out against RHP. They shoud be able to get those types without dealing Leake or Bailey.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chapman's spot in the rotation for next year, IMO, is the Arroyo spot. Bronson will have one year left on his deal after 2012, should be tradeable if he accepts the deal. No need to trade a Leake or a Bailey to open a spot.

The Reds right now really have one MUST upgrade situation and that is LF. Stubbs has value in CF. They will cobble together 3B for this year, not the easiest position to fill.

But LF is a nightmare for this team. There should be some left fielder who can hit righty handed pitching for a decent OBP (even without a lot of power) who can be obtained for an outfielder, either Heisey, Ludwick, Frazier, and a good but not great prospect.

I don't see the Reds re-making the team in season. Just let's get LF improved and go to war with a solid rotation, which the team has, and its very fine bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed. They especially need to be guys who can hit against RHP. It's why the easiest upgrade may be to deal some of the midding propsects (who are top 10 guys in this organization as it stands now) for some platoon types who upgrade on the days the big split guys (Stubbs, Frazier, Cozart, etc) would be facing their bad side. For example, a lefty who could OPS .775 or so against RHP while sharing time with Frazier would make that spot a very solid spot in the line-up while Frazier by himself is a near auto out against RHP. They shoud be able to get those types without dealing Leake or Bailey.
    I don't think this team needs OPS as much as it needs OBP. Kinda sounds odd but with the likes Bruce, Votto, Stubbs, Cozart, and Phillips they all can have above average power for their position. I think the more important thing would be to get someone in front of Votto who has a high OBP that really will punish pitchers for pitching around Votto. That player may be Phillips if you get him out of the cleanup spot. I really think he is the type of player who tries to mold himself for the spot he is hitting in.

The issue is with the exception of Youk, you don't really know who is available or will be available up until the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Well, I don't know what the heck happened but Leake went from having absolutely nothing to now having the best stuff I've seen him have since he entered the majors in 2010. Has anyone else noticed his increase in velocity in his last two starts?.
    They mentioned about a week ago that Leake was working in the bullpen with Price on some adjustments. Apparently, something has clicked.

I'm glad the Reds showed patience with Leake.
    We all want a young pitching staff.. we have to remember that they will have some rough spots.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Chapman's spot in the rotation for next year, IMO, is the Arroyo spot. Bronson will have one year left on his deal after 2012, should be tradeable if he accepts the deal. No need to trade a Leake or a Bailey to open a spot.
    Not happening. He gets the full $18 million right away if traded. He's in the rotation next year.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Not happening. He gets the full $18 million right away if traded. He's in the rotation next year.
    I get that and think its an issue as well, but I wonder how much of Arroyo's deferred money is being funded now. If the Reds have say, $10 Million set aside in an annuity at the end of 2012, they may be open to dealing him, handing him his parting gift and using the savings on his 2013 salary to make-up most the difference. If that would open a spot for Chapman and fill another hole with whatever they get back from dealing Arroyo, it may be worth doing. If a team is getting Arroyo for merely his $7 Million Salary in 2013, I'd think the Reds could get a pretty good and reasonably priced player back.

It all depends how much they already will have set aside by then.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Last night, Leake stopped trying to fool hitters and started attacking them. His pitches were sharp -- 92 MPH fastballs with movement, a good changeup, and a curveball that he threw infrequently but with great command. He throw the ball inside, changed levels, and kept the ball down in the zone.

I'm intrigued to see this Mike Leake way more often.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Last night, Leake stopped trying to fool hitters and started attacking them. His pitches were sharp -- 92 MPH fastballs with movement, a good changeup, and a curveball that he threw infrequently but with great command. He throw the ball inside, changed levels, and kept the ball down in the zone.

This.

Simply great pitching. If not for one pitch, he would have had a gem, as if what he did wasn't. I can still see him winning 20 someday. Remember, "he's young."
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Not to temper enthusiasm, but Leake had his stuff last night. Like Andy Pettite had his stuff Friday. I'm waiting for consistency from Mr. Leake, which will involve getting hitters out when he has less "stuff" than he did last night.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Good thing he turned it around when he did or Walt may have considered picking up another former Cardinal in the newly DFA'ed Jason Marquis.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    This.

Simply great pitching. If not for one pitch, he would have had a gem, as if what he did wasn't. I can still see him winning 20 someday. Remember, "he's young."
    And that "one pitch"...that was a good pitch too. Down and in with a ton of movement. Just gotta tip your hat to Juan for pulling out his pitching wedge on that one.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

9 hits in 3 IP?

Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    9 hits in 3 IP?

Yikes.
    I didn't see the game. Were they hits that were shots or several seeing eye hits.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I didn't see the game. Were they hits that were shots or several seeing eye hits.
    A little of both...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Rockies BABIP .600 vs. Leake last night (9/15).

His K/W was 4-1, with zero HR's allowed. He clearly controlled the things he could control.

It's hard to say exactly how bad he was, but he wasn't clearly as bad as the raw stats suggest.

Turn Off Ads?