Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 736 to 750 of 999

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

  1. #736
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I see what you are saying AH, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it "flawed".

    I think the only reason people thought Kentucky would be in the mix this season is because of how down overall college basketball has been this season. This team lacks something the previous team lacked and that is balance.
    WV, your post sort of sumed up my "flawed" comment. Basically, UK's whole team is unproven. It aint just the freshmen, it also the guys on the bench. Dang hard to win with a team comprised like they are.

    IMHO, Kentucky got a lot of hype coming into the year because of what they achieved last year. I saw a few polls that had the 'Cats #1 preseason.

    You are dead on about the off-season for the 'Cats. It is going to be very interesting to see who jumps and who doesnt.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #737
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    WV, your post sort of sumed up my "flawed" comment. Basically, UK's whole team is unproven. It aint just the freshmen, it also the guys on the bench. Dang hard to win with a team comprised like they are.

    IMHO, Kentucky got a lot of hype coming into the year because of what they achieved last year. I saw a few polls that had the 'Cats #1 preseason.

    You are dead on about the off-season for the 'Cats. It is going to be very interesting to see who jumps and who doesnt.
    The only reason UK got those preseason rankings is because the level of talent nationally is the weakest it's ever been. I said it then and I'll say it again; the preseason top three was the worst I've ever seen. It's actually turned out to be much worse than expected.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  4. Likes:

    WMR (02-19-2013)

  5. #738
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    As a rival fan, I applaud what Cal has been able to do up 'til this point. However alot of me thinks that his formula is flawed and this year proves it. I dont mean it in a bad way, I just dont think you can throw a bunch of unproven players on the floor and compete for a title year in and year out.
    We've been serious contenders for a title three of four years. IU fans would kill for a four-year stretch like the one Cal's on at UK.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  6. Likes:

    WMR (02-19-2013)

  7. #739
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    I wonder how many NITs UL or IU fans would trade for locking up a guaranteed championship right now? 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  8. Likes:

    New York Red (02-19-2013)

  9. #740
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    I heard one fella talking of whether NN should come back. He was speaking of there being a big gap between being a #1 pick and even the # 2 pick.
    He didnt mention the numbers though. Does anyone know the dollar difference of say being a top pick as opposed to a second or third pick ?

    Also I couldnt believe it when I seen Eric Daniels is still active in the D-League. That got me to wondering what exactly players make if they basically end up being in the D-League. Any ideas ?

  10. #741
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Around $50,000 per year.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  11. #742
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,435

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Around $50,000 per year.
    It's actually a good bit less than that. A couple years ago the max salary was about 25k. 50 might be about the max now, but most guys are making less than that.

    I know Daniels was also playing in Europe. Probably making a good bit more than he is in the D-League if he's in a top league in a major country.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #743
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,435

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Also, according to what I could find, Davis signed for 3years/$16MM. Kidd-Gilchrist's contract is about $1MM less per year. I know the NBA has a pretty hard a fast pay scale for rookie contracts.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  13. #744
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Great comments fellas......check the ticker.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  14. #745
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I wonder how many NITs UL or IU fans would trade for locking up a guaranteed championship right now? 10?
    Your day of reckoning has arrived. Keep talking smack when you are sucking on a rotten egg. Enjoy the NIT, I am sure you will be tuned in seeing as you are Cal Jr.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  15. #746
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It's actually a good bit less than that. A couple years ago the max salary was about 25k. 50 might be about the max now, but most guys are making less than that.

    I know Daniels was also playing in Europe. Probably making a good bit more than he is in the D-League if he's in a top league in a major country.
    Thanks for info. I wasnt sure how rookie salaries was running now.

  16. #747
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    We've been serious contenders for a title three of four years. IU fans would kill for a four-year stretch like the one Cal's on at UK.
    Well evidently the party is over. Welcome back to reality.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  17. #748
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Your day of reckoning has arrived. Keep talking smack when you are sucking on a rotten egg. Enjoy the NIT, I am sure you will be tuned in seeing as you are Cal Jr.
    Our day of reckoning has arrived? I hope you were drunk when you made this post. It's a shame you can't handle posting in this thread without having these mini-meltdowns every few days.

    I would consider not winning a ring since 1987 more of a rotten egg than going to the NIT after hanging banner #8.

    I didn't talk any smack, I'm guessing most mature IU fans would trade 10 NITs for a guaranteed championship. If it doesn't happen this season, the diamond anniversary is right around the corner.

    I'm starting to hope your team can avoid succumbing to the expectations of being #1 in the Tournament maybe it will make you and SOME of your IU brethren a bit less bitter and less obsessed with UK.

    #1 in the country and still looking for validation from UK fans. Sort of sad.
    Last edited by WMR; 02-20-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  18. #749
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Noel is the classic case of someone who could use an extra year in college. He needs to get bigger, stronger, and develop more of an offensive game. IMO its much easier to do that at the college level than the Pro level. But when some NBA team is going to pay you millions to do that its hard to pass up.
    Biggest misconception out there.

    Practicing 20 hours a week while going to school =/= Basketball as a full-time job.

    He will get better going to the pros than staying in college.

  19. #750
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The only reason UK got those preseason rankings is because the level of talent nationally is the weakest it's ever been. I said it then and I'll say it again; the preseason top three was the worst I've ever seen. It's actually turned out to be much worse than expected.
    In the history of ever. Dont worry we all know this season doesnt really count, we'll get the asterisk in there.

  20. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-22-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25