Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667 LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

part of BBN

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Hopefully Wiltjer/Poythress/WCS provide the Lamb/Jones/Miller leadership compliment to a super freshman class !

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

I found this one line floating around and had to share on the possibility "if" we get Wiggins :

Add Wiggins and we could field two top-5 teams

Team 1
    Andrew Harrison
    James Young
    Julius Randle
    Kyle Wiltjer
    Willie Cauley Stein

Team 2
    Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Wiggins
    Alex Poythress
    Marcus Lee
    Dakari Johnson

PG Andrew Harrison
    PG Jarrod Polson
    SG/ SF Aaron Harrison
    SG/ SF James Young
    SG/ SF Jon Hood
    SF/ PF Alex Poythress
    PF Julius Randle
    PF/ C Marcus Lee
    PF/ C Kyle Wiltjer
    C Willie Cauley-Stein
    PF Derek Willis
    C Dakari Johnson

Woof.

Six questions spring to mind:
    1) Will this negatively impact Wiggins' decision? Poythress' minutes could very well cut into his, were he to commit.
    2) Does this make Kyle Wiltjer, the SEC Sixth Man of the Year in 2013, the third-string power forward playing basically the same minutes as, say, a Jon Hood?
    3) Does Calipari allow practices to be taped? Are NBA guys allowed to watch practices? There are nine legitimate possible pros on that team-- ten if Wiggins decides to pull the trigger. How will Calipari split minutes without angering someone?
    4) Could this become another Season Without Joy, similar to the pressure on the 1978 squad that was expected to win it all? How does Calipari combat that pressure?
    5) Is 40-0 possible? Would it take Wiggins to make it so? Another year of seasoning, perhaps?
    6) To those that are convinced he's cheating, is this going to be the year where we find out? [Hater] It's likely impossible to have this many talented kids happy all at once with playing time and shots hoisted-- is it only a matter of time before one of them transfers and tells the world that World Wide Wes is really paying tens of thousands under the table? [/Hater]

Bonus questions:
    Would it be the biggest case of collective schadenfreude ever if UK doesn't win next season and it all falls apart, much like this season? Will Mark Emmert spontaneously combust before he hands yet another trophy to Calipari at Kentucky? Will Kentucky fans actually enjoy themselves next season, or will they allow the worry of a loss cloud what could be a historic season?

5. Likes:

WMR (04-02-2013)

PG Andrew Harrison
    PG Jarrod Polson
    SG/ SF Aaron Harrison
    SG/ SF James Young
    SG/ SF Jon Hood
    SF/ PF Alex Poythress
    PF Julius Randle
    PF/ C Marcus Lee
    PF/ C Kyle Wiltjer
    C Willie Cauley-Stein
    PF Derek Willis
    C Dakari Johnson

Woof.

1) Will this negatively impact Wiggins' decision? Poythress' minutes could very well cut into his, were he to commit.
    2) Does this make Kyle Wiltjer, the SEC Sixth Man of the Year in 2013, the third-string power forward playing basically the same minutes as, say, a Jon Hood?
    3) Does Calipari allow practices to be taped? Are NBA guys allowed to watch practices? There are nine legitimate possible pros on that team-- ten if Wiggins decides to pull the trigger. How will Calipari split minutes without angering someone?
    4) Could this become another Season Without Joy, similar to the pressure on the 1978 squad that was expected to win it all? How does Calipari combat that pressure?
    5) Is 40-0 possible? Would it take Wiggins to make it so? Another year of seasoning, perhaps?
    6) To those that are convinced he's cheating, is this going to be the year where we find out? [Hater] It's likely impossible to have this many talented kids happy all at once with playing time and shots hoisted-- is it only a matter of time before one of them transfers and tells the world that World Wide Wes is really paying tens of thousands under the table? [/Hater]

Bonus questions:
    Would it be the biggest case of collective schadenfreude ever if UK doesn't win next season and it all falls apart, much like this season? Will Mark Emmert spontaneously combust before he hands yet another trophy to Calipari at Kentucky? Will Kentucky fans actually enjoy themselves next season, or will they allow the worry of a loss cloud what could be a historic season?

7. Likes:

WMR (04-02-2013)

part of BBN

As far as your number 1 Scrap,.....if Wiggins is half as good as expected, I dont think anyone will cut into his minutes.

9. Likes:

WMR (04-02-2013)

part of BBN

This quote shows (I enlarged the main part) incredible maturity for Aaron Harrison :

Next year’s goal: “To win a national championship of course. 40-0 is not a goal- just to win our last game. It’d be nice to do it, but it’s not our goal.”

11. Likes:

WMR (04-02-2013)

I don't think any pressure will effect anything. UK fans as a whole typically put a ton of pressure on their teams with their love and expectations.

Poythress isn't taking anyones minutes if he plays without effort like this past season.

Now for the announcement we have all been waiting on:

Jon Hood is returning next season per Kyle Tucker of the CJ.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Any of you guys gonna watch the UK game tonight (ESPN, 9:30 EST)?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Any of you guys gonna watch the UK game tonight (ESPN, 9:30 EST)?
    I DVR'd it. Hopefully watch tonight.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

So, if Wiggins commits, does that mean we are down to two scholarships left to be distributed between:

Jarrod Polson
    Dominique Hawkins
    Andrew Wiggins

Or did I miss an announcement that would clarify this?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    So, if Wiggins commits, does that mean we are down to two scholarships left to be distributed between:

Jarrod Polson
    Dominique Hawkins
    Andrew Wiggins

Or did I miss an announcement that would clarify this?
    Basically if Hawkins and Wiggins both come, Polson will return as a walk-on (if he in fact returns).
    If just one commits, Polson will still have the scholarship if he decides to return.

part of BBN

I watched the game and of course, you cant tell alot by allstar games like this. I will say this, it is my opinion after watching these kids in person, that the leaders of this team will be the Harrison Twins.
    Randel and Wiggins (if he signs) will more than likely lead team in scoring but as far as leaders....the Harrisons just showed quite an impressive presence last night.
    I had originally thought if Goodwin returned he would probably start at the 2 but I have no doubt even if he had, Aaron and Andrew will be at the 1 & 2 when the ball goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I had originally thought if Goodwin returned he would probably start at the 2 but I have no doubt even if he had, Aaron and Andrew will be at the 1 & 2 when the ball goes up.
    I'm really starting to think that a lot of the problems centered around Archie Goodwin. Despite Cal suggesting otherwise, a lot of his actions on and off the court have really shown a "me first" attitude. Whether its driving into the lane instead of taking an open jump shot/passing to an open teammate or telling people he's not ready for the NBA and declaring anyways.

I think Archie "could" be one of the best players to come out of UK though in the Cal era. When he realizes he should have bought into what Cal taught him instead of using Kentucky for a one year stopgap to the pro's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

If Andrew Wiggins is as good as advertised, he will get all of the minutes he wants and then some. Wiggins minutes will cut into Poythress', not the other way around, and even then, Poythress needs that motivation. It kinda sends a message when you have Julius Randle, Andrew Wiggins, and Marcus Lee ready to take your place in the lineup as opposed to Jon Hood.

Wiltjer is still valuable, but I think UK fans need to accept him for who he is. He provides little to no defense and for most of his career has been a solid three point shooter. He may lose minutes but I think Cal will find a way to work him in.

Two questions in one. I think the All Access last season did more harm than good toward last season, but it did help for recruiting for future teams. As for splitting minutes, I think Cal will go deeper than his past teams (something UK fans have been complaining about since after the first year), but still, I think this is a completely different group of players who are willing to sacrifice to win. (not to mention draft stock likely won't be affected anyways)

If you watched Bluegrass Kingdom, Ashley Judd made the comment how everybody would have been disappointed if the 96 team didn't win it all. I felt that way last year as well. It's UK, and when expectations are high, they are HIGH. Last year, expectations (at least mine) were low, just not NIT low.

Possible but not likely. Road trip to Chapel Hill, Michigan State in the Champions Classic, Louisville at Rupp, and two games against Florida who has some good freshmen coming in. I look for them to likely lose a game or two and maybe throw the SEC Tournament similar to two years ago.

I think if that were the case somebody would have already spilled the beans. Cal I'm sure has had transfers at Memphis and Stacey Poole and Ryan Harrow at Kentucky. You know that Pete Thamel (who I have lost all respect for as a human being after the Kevin Ware injury) and Pat Forde would have went Selena Roberts on it. (Too soon?)

Bonus questions:
    Would it be the biggest case of collective schadenfreude ever if UK doesn't win next season and it all falls apart, much like this season? Will Mark Emmert spontaneously combust before he hands yet another trophy to Calipari at Kentucky? Will Kentucky fans actually enjoy themselves next season, or will they allow the worry of a loss cloud what could be a historic season?[/QUOTE]

If this years team falls apart, I see the pressure mounting on Cal to where he leaves for the NBA, especially if Louisville regroups. I don't see that happening though. No comment on Emmert.

My goal is to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I think this season will be a remarkable improvement just based on the talent coming in and who is coming back. Even if we win it all or even if we don't, it's going to be fun.

This team might be the one team that can beat you so many different ways, they can go big or small. They have players who can slash as well as either kick back or post up for the three. I've even said I'd like to see a small lineup with Randle at center similar to Wichita State just for the mismatches. The only thing missing in this class is an eraser in the middle. Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, and even a second year of Willie Cauley-Stein isn't going to replace the defense of Nerlens Noel or Anthony Davis.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Cal leaving to the NBA because of pressure?

Are you trying to be a Tipton Jr? Or maybe a Thameltoe? Cal isn't leaving and any pressure he feels is of his own creation. He's already got the NC in his back pocket.

And to follow that up with the greatest recruiting class in collegiate history?

I cannot fathom anyone wanting Cal to leave but I would love to hear their idea for finding someone better.

That's why it's a ludicrous assertion.

Turn Off Ads?