Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

The "I have nothing left to prove" quote makes me think he's moving on after this season. It makes sense financially, academically, and even socially.

But, yeah, that'll likely put a crimp in Calipari's recruiting pitches. (Though I'm sure he'll find a way to make it better.)

Selfishly, I'd like to see Harrison and Mayes on the same court. I love shooters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Katz a blurb...

3. Kentucky doesn’t have a traditional upperclassmen who will be a legitimate rotation player. But that’s fine. Kentucky coach John Calipari said Wright State senior transfer Julius Mays will fill that void. Mays played one season at Wright State (14.1ppg, 2.5 apg and 42.4 percent on 3s) after transferring from NC State. Calipari attended a Monday workout of the Wildcats and remarked about Mays’ shooting and overall experience. He also was extremely pleased with NC State transfer guard Ryan Harrow. But Calipari said Harrow and Mays could be coming off the bench. He said he fully expects at least two freshmen -- guard Archie Goodwin and forward Alex Poythress -- to start. The question is does he start both freshmen centers -- Nerlens Noel and/or Willie Cauley -- if he wants to go big? I would be stunned if Noel isn’t in the starting lineup. The question will be Cauley. Kyle Wiltjer, Mays and Harrow will be in the rotation and likely at times starters during the long season.
    Let the Julius Mays legend begin!
    Last edited by WMR; 07-31-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The "I have nothing left to prove" quote makes me think he's moving on after this season. It makes sense financially, academically, and even socially.

But, yeah, that'll likely put a crimp in Calipari's recruiting pitches. (Though I'm sure he'll find a way to make it better.)

Selfishly, I'd like to see Harrison and Mayes on the same court. I love shooters.
    What I'm afraid it would do is take us out of the equation for James Young, who I really, really, really want. He has pretty much said he's a lock for UK.

Cal could easily make it work with Randle, Harrisons, and Wiggins/Young, but I'm not sure if he can get Wiggins AND Young.

Oh yea: I don't think UK is going to get Jabari Parker. I think he's going to Michigan State or DOOK.

One of my sportswriter friends insisted Duke is the favorite; then again, he's a Duke homer. (Having gone to school there.) No way Parker goes to MSU, as that offense is far too structured. He's said style of play is as important as almost anything.

We'll see. I'm guessing Duke, a pre-season All-American campaign, and pre-season POTY talk.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    What I'm afraid it would do is take us out of the equation for James Young, who I really, really, really want. He has pretty much said he's a lock for UK.

Cal could easily make it work with Randle, Harrisons, and Wiggins/Young, but I'm not sure if he can get Wiggins AND Young.
    I think Young would commit if he had an offer. If he doesn't get one, I trust Cal completely. Quincy Miller and Tony Wroten come to mind.

The Harrison twins and Wiggins are the only ones I am sold on to this point. I would like to see UK look at Mamadou N'Diaye. Not everyday you see a 7'5 320 lb center come along.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I've heard whispers that N'Diaye was less than impressive against bigger, stronger athletes. As in Tony Trocha bad.

I think a team like Western Kentucky might be the best spot for him. Give him three years to contribute, but learn, too. He'll need all of it, if those whispers are true.

2012-2013 Kentucky Wildcats Basketball Thread

Midnight Madness is 10 days away and the Harrison twins, an important piece for 2013-2014, will be announcing between Kentucky and Maryland on Thursday in what has been a pretty intense recruiting battle of late.

This is going to be a completely different team from last season. My expectations are lower, but then again Cal took a similar team two years ago to the Final Four.

Thoughts:

*UK will have something they haven't had since Cal has been here in two bigs that can be used at the same time. I wouldn't be shocked if Willie Cauley-Stein has a better season early on than Nerlens Noel, although Noel will have the higher upside.

*Cal has said he will be using Kyle Wiltjer in a pick and pop situation where he can follow behind the defense on fast breaks and spot up for open three's.

*Archie Goodwin I think will flourish the most if the Cats go with a dribble drive, especially if he runs the point. The guy has some Tyreke Evans in him, a combo guard who Cal groomed into a PG at the collegiate level and boosted his draft stock. That being said, Alex Poythress will be the most prolific scorer.

*Ryan Harrow and Julius Mays will likely give solid minutes, but their leadership will be the most important with Darius Miller gone. Darius saved UK in a lot of games by providing the "Cool Hand Luke" moments and stopping the bleeding, especially against Indiana in the Sweet 16.

Overall, my expectations are low. I'd be happy if this team goes to a Final Four, but a Sweet 16 or Elite Eight exit wouldn't surprise me either. I see this team as a building block for 2013-2014 with hopefully the Harrison Twins, Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, and James Young.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: 2012-2013 Kentucky Wildcats Basketball Thread

The other thread you started was better, should've bumped it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95403
    Last edited by WMR; 10-03-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Why are your expectations low?

I've seen UK ranked from 1-3 preseason. We have as good a chance as anyone and better than most to cut down nets. Cal will have this team ready to compete for another Championship by March.

UK should be really good again. How good is anyone's guess? I never know exactly what to expect with the yearly transition of players. I don't know if they will be able to win another championship. Always a lot of luck involved in that. Also don't underestimate the experience factor that Miller,Jones and Lamb brought to last years team. Miller especially was a steadying influence in some tough games. Wiltjer is the only experienced player back and at that he didn't play big minutes most of last season. It will be another fun season and it al gets started next Friday night with midnight madness.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Don't forget our point guard will essentially be a junior with a full year in Cal's system. I'm expecting Harrow to be very, very good right out of the gate and provide major leadership. Cal hasn't had a non-frosh pg in a long time.

Likely first guard off the bench will be a fifth year senior... Interested to see how much Mays can contribute. Leadership and a veteran steadying influence at the least.

I just don't think they're as talented as year's past. Harrow should be solid at point. Goodwin is a slasher but his jumper is suspect. Poythress is a man with, according to Cal, a low motor. (Terrence Jones, anyone?) Wiltjer can't guard a stopwatch, but can shoot as well as anyone in CBB. And Cauley-Stein has apparently blossomed, while Noel has struggled.

There's little on the bench beyond a big man unless Mays can turn it on his senior year, or Hood finally discovers that he's 6'7" and can shoot.

Cal's done more with less, and no one should doubt him after the Final Four team two years ago, but this team has a long, long way to go. I suspect they'll struggle early, get on a roll, but anything more than the Sweet 16 should be considered gravy. They just don't have the shooters beyond a power forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I just don't think they're as talented as year's past. Harrow should be solid at point. Goodwin is a slasher but his jumper is suspect. Poythress is a man with, according to Cal, a low motor. (Terrence Jones, anyone?) Wiltjer can't guard a stopwatch, but can shoot as well as anyone in CBB. And Cauley-Stein has apparently blossomed, while Noel has struggled.

There's little on the bench beyond a big man unless Mays can turn it on his senior year, or Hood finally discovers that he's 6'7" and can shoot.

Cal's done more with less, and no one should doubt him after the Final Four team two years ago, but this team has a long, long way to go. I suspect they'll struggle early, get on a roll, but anything more than the Sweet 16 should be considered gravy. They just don't have the shooters beyond a power forward.
    Fortunately for UK they're not playing teams from last year or two years ago.

Saying the ceiling for a preseason top 3 team is the sweet 16 isn't logical.

Turn Off Ads?