Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    You must admit there's a difference between playing Chattanooga and Belmont. Between Radford and Davidson. Between Penn and Samford. Between Penn State and and Colorado State. Of course, fans of "top tier" programs look at schools like those as automatic wins, but there's a considerable difference.

In the past 3 years, Duke has played 25 nonconference opponents in the top 100 RPI. Kentucky -- 15. Narrow it to the top 50, it's Duke 15, Kentucky 10.

That's how it works.
    That's the coward's way of scheduling. The Coach K way. I'd much rather have it the way UK does it, with numerous marquee matchups to look forward to every year. What would you look more forward to, your school playing a Top 10 team or a team ranked 50th or 100th? It's a no-brainer for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    That's the coward's way of scheduling. The Coach K way. I'd much rather have it the way UK does it, with numerous marquee matchups to look forward to every year. What would you look more forward to, your school playing a Top 10 team or a team ranked 50th or 100th? It's a no-brainer for me.
    Since you brought it up...

Top 25 nonconference matchups in the last 3 years:
    Duke -- 8
    UK -- 8

Top 10
    Duke -- 4
    UK -- 4

But keep calling Coach K a coward.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Duke -- 8
    UK -- 8

Top 10
    Duke -- 4
    UK -- 4

But Kentucky played the GOOD top 10 teams and Duke played all the crappy ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    And I've seen so many play the "Vacated" card on Calipari that I may as well play it here...Minneosta and Michigan each had a Final Four vacated, did they not?
    You dont hear me play that card.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    LSU made the Final Four in '06 as well. 14 amongst 4, now.
    I missed that one. My apologies.

Duke -- 8
    UK -- 8

Top 10
    Duke -- 4
    UK -- 4

How many of those did Coach K actually schedule head-to-head, in advance? I can guess. In the past 20 years, UK has played 47 OOC games against the top seven college basketball programs of all-time. Duke has played a total of 7 OOC games against those teams. When it comes to scheduling, K is a coward and always has been. I thought that was common knowledge, but maybe not.

Vitale is tweeting that UK and Indiana had a deal on the table that had already been agreed upon -- two years, both games at Lucas Oil Stadium, all revenue and 70,000 tickets split down the middle -- but Tom Crean backed out at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    So you're telling me the SEC knows how to close?

Coffee is for closers! Playing in the Big 10 will get you close, but no cigar.
    It depends on how you look at it. The state of SEC hoops right here, right now is no where close to the level in the Big 10. The SEC wasnt ranked #1 last year, Kentucky was. The same SEC argument can be applied to the ACC. But looking at championships in no way translates to a conference's dominance. The best team doesnt always play in the best conference, and the best team doesnt always win the championship(Although this year it did).

Vitale is tweeting that UK and Indiana had a deal on the table that had already been agreed upon -- two years, both games at Lucas Oil Stadium, all revenue and 70,000 tickets split down the middle -- but Tom Crean backed out at the last minute.
    Jay Bilas is tweeting that UK had a deal all worked out with Indiana at Lucas Oil Stadium in their own minds. UK wants the revenue off a big ticket event, not IU. For Christ's sake, IU wanted the game at Rupp next year. Quit passing the freakin' buck.

How many of those did Coach K actually schedule head-to-head, in advance? I can guess.
    Not sure why this matters. They played em, didn't they? Agreeing to play in Maui or any other ESPN arranged "classic" is agreeing to play in a difficult game... Away from home.

The ironic part is that UK is moving towards the "Duke model" in scheduling. Fewer home and homes, fewer nonconference rivalry games.

2nd irony: Coach K is a "coward" but is about to agree to play UK in a neutral site series.

How many of those did Coach K actually schedule head-to-head, in advance? I can guess. In the past 20 years, UK has played 47 OOC games against the top seven college basketball programs of all-time. Duke has played a total of 7 OOC games against those teams. When it comes to scheduling, K is a coward and always has been. I thought that was common knowledge, but maybe not.
    Be mindful of what you say. I am a Duke hater myself, but K's numbers speak for themselves. Lest us not forget he just won the title a few years back with those scheduling techniques.

Not sure why this matters. They played em, didn't they? Agreeing to play in Maui or any other ESPN arranged "classic" is agreeing to play in a difficult game... Away from home.

The ironic part is that UK is moving towards the "Duke model" in scheduling. Fewer home and homes, fewer nonconference rivalry games.

2nd irony: Coach K is a "coward" but is about to agree to play UK in a neutral site series.
    There is nothing even close to similar about the way Duke schedules and the way UK schedules. Never has been. Look up the number of OOC games Duke has scheduled on a ranked opponent's home floor in the past 20 years. It's mind-boggling. Again, I thought this was common knowledge among college basketball observers, but maybe not. If the the UK/Duke series does indeed come to fruition, I (and a lot of others) will be shocked, because it would be totally out of the ordinary for Coach K to do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Be mindful of what you say. I am a Duke hater myself, but K's numbers speak for themselves. Lest us not forget he just won the title a few years back with those scheduling techniques.
    This isn't about his success as a coach. I'm talking scheduling only, and it's common knowledge that K shies away from top competition in the OOC portion of the schedule. Even Duke fans admit it. This thread is probably the only time I've ever seen anyone argue in K's favor on this subject.

There is nothing even close to similar about the way Duke schedules and the way UK schedules. Never has been. Look up the number of OOC games Duke has scheduled on a ranked opponent's home floor in the past 20 years. It's mind-boggling. Again, I thought this was common knowledge among college basketball observers, but maybe not. If the the UK/Duke series does indeed come to fruition, I (and a lot of others) will be shocked, because it would be totally out of the ordinary for Coach K to do something like that.
    And guess what? With Cal in charge there will be fewer and fewer UK games on the road vs. ranked opponents.

And guess what? With Cal in charge there will be fewer and fewer UK games on the road vs. ranked opponents.
    We'll see. UK still has the home-and-home with Louisville, and next year we resume the home-and-home with North Carolina, at Chapel Hill. That's already two more marquee home-and-home series than Coach K has ever scheduled at Duke. The only change in the UK schedule is the IU game, and Tom Crean ended that. There is no proof at all that UK will play fewer road games with Cal in charge. Not sure how anyone could look at our next two schedules and not be impressed. I can't wait.

Turn Off Ads?