Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

part of BBN

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Okay, it's been awhile since we posted on basketball so might as well do this.
    Last year,for a majority of the year, I said Teague was the most over rated recruit I could remember in a long time. Granted he came along quite nicely and I would love to have him on this year's team.
    This year, I will focus on Alex Pothyress. I am not saying he is the most over rated but rather the most dissappointing I have seen in awhile. He has tons of talent but for some reason, it doesnt seem to be clicking. The quick yank after the non- rebound the other day by Cal seemed to be the microcosm of AP's season so far. Or yet maybe it was Poythress facial expression of "why are you taking me out" that is actually the microcosm.
    As for UK as a whole. I have seen a little improvement most notably in the last game but still I think the sweet 16 may be an accomplishment for this team.
    I think an SEC record of 11-7 or possibly even 10-8 record may be what we are looking at. Hope I am wrong though.
    I am quoting this again because while listening to the UK pregame on drive home today, someone mentioned the possibilty of UK going 11-7 in the SEC.
    Baker said if UK loses 7 in the SEC, they should refuse an invite to the NIT and Oscar said if they lose more than 4, he will be terribly dissappointed.
    Of course, they talked about the weak teams in the SEC.
    They are playing better than when I said the above, but I still have trouble seeing them going 14-4 in the SEC.
    A road game to start against Vandy will be an excellent measuring stick. Vandy is down this year which is the point of the "measuring stick" comment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    A road game to start against Vandy will be an excellent measuring stick. Vandy is down this year which is the point of the "measuring stick" comment.
    Nah. Vandy isn't much better than Eastern Michigan. Swear to God.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Purdue must really, really suck.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Nah. Vandy isn't much better than Eastern Michigan. Swear to God.
    Thats actually what I was saying. I meant this year, UK should go in there and win rather handily. I was basically saying "let's see if they do".

I'm getting encouraged by UK's play the last two games. Cal seems to have gotten through to them. I know Eastern Michigan isn't much but the way UK played last night was great. They pushed the petal down and never let up. Even Poythress gave much better effort than he had been doing. If they play like they did last two games they won't lose more than four in the conference. Road play will be the key. They haven't won on the road yet. Vandy will be a good measuring point even with Vandy being way down this year,
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The team is definitely trending upwards, that's encouraging.

UK gets its next big man for 2013 in Dakari Johnson. Not to mention still being in play for the top PF (Julius Randle) and top SF (Andrew Wiggins). Top PG and SG are locked up (Harrison twins), a top 5 wing (James Young) and another center (Marcus Lee) already committed.

Depending on who comes back and who else commits, next season could be another special season. This season, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Depending on who comes back and who else commits, next season could be another special season. This season, not so much.
    It would be funny to see UK fans backtrack (as they did two years ago with the Brandon Knight/ Josh Harrelson team) if they go on to another Final Four. At that point, all you'll hear is these fans just knew how good this team could be.

I like Kentucky's team to go to at least the Elite Eight, not because they are currently one of the top teams in the country, but because they have the most talent of anyone in the country, and Calipari has a penchant (especially over the past five years) for his teams peaking at the right time.

Any team with two bigs who can defend, two very good shooters, and the elite athleticism at three spots on the floor is going to be a tough out. Depending on matchups and seeding, thsi could very well be another Final Four squad.

I still believe in this team being right there at the end of the season... I'm expecting big improvements throughout the SEC campaign.

I think most people were counting on WCS being back next season, but that might be a pipe dream at this point...

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It would be funny to see UK fans backtrack (as they did two years ago with the Brandon Knight/ Josh Harrelson team) if they go on to another Final Four. At that point, all you'll hear is these fans just knew how good this team could be.

I like Kentucky's team to go to at least the Elite Eight, not because they are currently one of the top teams in the country, but because they have the most talent of anyone in the country, and Calipari has a penchant (especially over the past five years) for his teams peaking at the right time.

Any team with two bigs who can defend, two very good shooters, and the elite athleticism at three spots on the floor is going to be a tough out. Depending on matchups and seeding, thsi could very well be another Final Four squad.
    I hope you are right. I am certainly not writing them off and give them about as much chance as anyone. I mean look at our games against # 1 Duke and #4 Louisville.
    This team definitely has the talent to compete as you stated.
    Harrow and WCS are improving every game. Noel is playing steady as well and Wiltjer seems to be finding his shot.
    Right now though I just dont see this current group being able to win 6 games in a row come tourney time. The talent is there but I just have my doubts. Now if they surprise me and do a 15-3 confernece record, then we I may have bigger hopes for them. At this point, I am still saying Sweet 16. (which I am not complaining as we cant have a Final Four every year)

Cauley-Stein is gonzo.

He will end up a Top 10 Draft Pick, and even that may be slighting him some.

UK gets its next big man for 2013 in Dakari Johnson. Not to mention still being in play for the top PF (Julius Randle) and top SF (Andrew Wiggins). Top PG and SG are locked up (Harrison twins), a top 5 wing (James Young) and another center (Marcus Lee) already committed.

Just need Wiggins and the circle will be complete. Amazing recruiting class shaping up. It's going to be a lot of fun next year. Even if Wiltjer,Harrow and Polson are the only experience back that should be enough to help out the incoming freshman.
    Also I think this season will end up being pretty good. You can see them maturing and developing like every Cal team has up to this point. If WCS and Poythress keep showing sustained improvement that should bode well for a deep NCAA run.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Bob Knight might be Kentuckys biggest cheerleader tonight.

Did I really just type that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

Bob Knight might be Kentuckys biggest cheerleader tonight.

Did I really just type that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Wouldnt you love to hear what the ESPN big guys told him ?

UK might see a little more zone the rest of the season, eh?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?