Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Had to work, I missed the game.

What's the deal? Is Dook a top team and we just fell short? Or do we have some worrying to do? Obviously it's really early, but are we more of a Top 10-15 team than Top 5? Worse? Just curious on your guys' thoughts.
    I think UK was overrated to start the season. For a team having only one returning contributor (Wiltjer) and a bunch of new faces to be ranked third in the nation is a bit of a stretch. I'd say by the middle of the season, we'll be in the top 10-15, but closer to the SEC tournament, we will be a legit threat for a National Championship, similar to two years ago.

Senior leadership is great. A PG would be even better. Last year, I remember thinking that the biggest change in the Cats from game one to the end of the season was the improvement of Teague. He went from being a shaky guy who seemed to shy away from the moment to someone who was an attacker and another weapon. Harrow is going to have to be great for this team to have any chance. There was alot of reckless and clueless basketball last night.
    Not sure who you're talking about with senior leadership. You need someone who can step up and make a shot and calm down the team and basically rally the troops. Darius Miller did that a lot last year. I haven't seen that from Mayes, and he is in the same boat as everybody else, trying to learn a new offense.

If Harrow doesn't grasp PG under Cal, it will come down to Archie Goodwin. I think Goodwin can do it if he buys in, but he is right now the most frustrating player on the court.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I felt sort of bad about the game until UK made their comeback run. Coming back like that showed me a ton. This team is gonna be GOOD at the end of the year. Still believe we've got as good a chance as anyone to end up cutting down the nets again.

On a semi-related note: It's funny how much more patient I am when it comes to UK basketball now that we've got another national championship in our back pocket.

Poythress is a BEAST. When he learns to play an entire game like he shows in flashes, WATCH OUT. Gotta hurt Vandy fans seeing that guy play. He is going to be a stud.

Really wish Lamb would have come back. Barely getting any clock with the Bucks so far, and we could have used him to steady the hand at PG last night without Harrow.

Oh well..Just something that crossed my mind last night. Besides that, pretty pleased with the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'm surprised at how bad an one on one defender Noel is. He's a decent weak-side shot blocker, but man-o-a-man-o, Plumlee worked him out, with and without the ball.
    If I remember right, Cousins and Davis got worked one-on-one early in the season last year and in '09-10.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    If I remember right, Cousins and Davis got worked one-on-one early in the season last year and in '09-10.
    Davis was never ever near as bad as Noel is right now.

Poythress is a BEAST. When he learns to play an entire game like he shows in flashes, WATCH OUT. Gotta hurt Vandy fans seeing that guy play. He is going to be a stud.
    He'd look good in black and gold, no doubt... But he's not good enough to get them from what they have now to the NCAA tourney this year. And if he's a one-and-done, then having him on West End would have done Vandy no good.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not sure who you're talking about with senior leadership. You need someone who can step up and make a shot and calm down the team and basically rally the troops. Darius Miller did that a lot last year. I haven't seen that from Mayes, and he is in the same boat as everybody else, trying to learn a new offense.

If Harrow doesn't grasp PG under Cal, it will come down to Archie Goodwin. I think Goodwin can do it if he buys in, but he is right now the most frustrating player on the court.
    What I meant was that if it came down to a great PG (freshman or not) or senior leadership, give me the PG.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

This year is wide open, because it's such a down year for college basketball. Indiana and Louisville are the weakest preseason 1-2 we've possibly ever seen. They are basically the same two teams that finished mid-pack in their conferences last year, and now they're supposed to be the top two teams in the country?

In February, UofL fans wanted Pitino gone, because their season was such a disappointment. They reached the Final Four only because Florida completely choked away the Elite Eight game. Indiana beat two really weak teams in the NCAA tournament, and finished the regular season with a 9-8 record over their last 17 games (or something like that).

If those are the two best teams in the country, college basketball is at an all-time low. I'll take my chances with this young Kentucky team that will grow by leaps and bounds between now and March. A November loss to a veteran group of Duke floppers means nothing.

Davis was never ever near as bad as Noel is right now.
    Are you talking about the same Noel who had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks against a top ten Duke team, in only his second college game? The same Noel who would be a Senior in high school this year if not for re-classifying?

There is nothing "bad" about Noel. Good grief, man, you've lost your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Are you talking about the same Noel who had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks against a top ten Duke team, in only his second college game? The same Noel who would be a Senior in high school this year if not for re-classifying?

There is nothing "bad" about Noel. Good grief, man, you've lost your mind.
    Defensively, man to man, he's not good. That was my original point.

Davis was far superior, defensively, to Noel.

This year is wide open, because it's such a down year for college basketball. Indiana and Louisville are the weakest preseason 1-2 we've possibly ever seen. They are basically the same two teams that finished mid-pack in their conferences last year, and now they're supposed to be the top two teams in the country?

In February, UofL fans wanted Pitino gone, because their season was such a disappointment. They reached the Final Four only because Florida completely choked away the Elite Eight game. Indiana beat two really weak teams in the NCAA tournament, and finished the regular season with a 9-8 record over their last 17 games (or something like that).

If those are the two best teams in the country, college basketball is at an all-time low. I'll take my chances with this young Kentucky team that will grow by leaps and bounds between now and March. A November loss to a veteran group of Duke floppers means nothing.
    You might be a little biased. This year's Louisville team has a healthy Siva and Blackshear, has worked Kevin Ware into the mix, and adds Montrez Harrel who looks very good. They still can't shoot but the defense is solid and their front court is as good as anyone's.

Defensively, man to man, he's not good. That was my original point.

Davis was far superior, defensively, to Noel.
    Anthony Davis may have been the best college basketball freshman of all-time. Or at least top five or ten all-time. It's not fair to compare any other college freshman to Anthony Davis, especially one that's played a grand total of two games.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You might be a little biased. This year's Louisville team has a healthy Siva and Blackshear, has worked Kevin Ware into the mix, and adds Montrez Harrel who looks very good. They still can't shoot but the defense is solid and their front court is as good as anyone's.
    There's no bias in saying that Louisville fans wanted both Pitino and Siva gone back in February. They were that bad. It's also not biased to say the only reason UofL made the Final Four is Florida had one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the tournament. Louisville also lost their two best shooters off a very poor shooting team. That team being ranked #2 only means that this is a very, very down year for college basketball.

Anthony Davis may have been the best college basketball freshman of all-time. Or at least top five or ten all-time. It's not fair to compare any other college freshman to Anthony Davis, especially one that's played a grand total of two games.
    I tend to agree. However, I'm not the one who made the comparison. I just said he wasn't very good defensively.

Re-reading prior posts in the thread may be helpful.

There's no bias in saying that Louisville fans wanted both Pitino and Siva gone back in February. They were that bad. It's also not biased to say the only reason UofL made the Final Four is Florida had one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the tournament. Louisville also lost their two best shooters off a very poor shooting team. That team being ranked #2 only means that this is a very, very down year for college basketball.
    Whatever. I was just pointing out that Siva wasn't the same after a December injury. Also, Smith and Kuric were hardly all stars. Hancock replaces Smith and Ware and Blackshear are far more talented than Kuric.

Last years Louisville team was projected as an elite eight team to start the year. Injuries led to them underachieving and they later overacheived in the tourney. They may be slightly overrated but this same team would still be top five in most years.

Turn Off Ads?