Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Who cares? Fact of the matter is, both have a FAR better shot of winning the NC this year than UK does. So quit trying to play to history when you're having a down year. You embraced this coach and the culture that comes with it. So don't cry when it goes bad... And this year... Oh God is it going bad.

The thing you should worry about... What happens in the next few years when one of your hired guns gets upset about playing time and spills the beans? It's bound to happen. And at that point, you're a decade removed from winning a NC yourself. I wouldn't hang my hat on NC #vaca8
    The NCAA will likely be kicked to the curb before that happens. If you have followed realignment, you can already see where this is going. If Maryland wins their lawsuit against the ACC and doesn't have to pay the massive buyout, everybody in that conference is technically a free agent. Clemson and Florida State have been rumored to the Big 12 and even Duke and UNC to the SEC. If you're Louisville, you might have just jumped to the next sinking ship.

As for playing time, I really believe that it would have happened already if it was going on. Cal has coached at Memphis and UMass before Kentucky dating back to the late 1980's. Stacey Poole fits your description to a T, but you've never heard him spill the beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It doesn't take much success to get a Hoosier talking smack. I guess when you build shrines for regular season wins and hand out rings for Sweet Sixteen appearances, your perspective is a bit out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I honestly thought this team would be better than they have shown.

Goodwin has terrible ball IQ, Poythress has no heart, Wiltjer has wilted, etc. etc.

Interesting Bilas tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/jaybilas/...30266026475520

He's not writing the cats off yet... They've still got a couple months to get it right... However, they really can't lose very many more games unless they plan on winning the SEC Tournament.
    I really believe that this years team lacks veteran leadership. "Uncle Julius" is the closest thing this team has and he is learning an all new system the same as everybody else.

Last year had Darius Miller to rally the team and take big shots. The year before that was Josh Harrellson, before that was Patrick Patterson and the holdovers from the Billy the Clyde era.

Recruiting could really get interesting if this team continues to regress. I know the NBA drafts on talent alone, but Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress both would be better off coming back for a second year. Add in the Harrison twins and James Young and it might be more loaded than we thought.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

UofL and IU may well be better this year than UK. Kudos to those schools. UK's the better program IMO.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It doesn't take much success to get a Hoosier talking smack. I guess when you build shrines for regular season wins and hand out rings for Sweet Sixteen appearances, your perspective is a bit out of whack.
    LOL....whatever you say, you know so much and UK can do no wrong. Let's hang player's jerseys in the rafters for getting beat by Duke! Btw.....let me give you some more of that "Hoosier smack".........Kentucky's woes this year can be traced to only one thing.......they cant win unless they have at least 2 Indiana natives on the squad.....ask Kyle Macy!!!!!!!! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The NCAA will likely be kicked to the curb before that happens. If you have followed realignment, you can already see where this is going. If Maryland wins their lawsuit against the ACC and doesn't have to pay the massive buyout, everybody in that conference is technically a free agent. Clemson and Florida State have been rumored to the Big 12 and even Duke and UNC to the SEC. If you're Louisville, you might have just jumped to the next sinking ship.

As for playing time, I really believe that it would have happened already if it was going on. Cal has coached at Memphis and UMass before Kentucky dating back to the late 1980's. Stacey Poole fits your description to a T, but you've never heard him spill the beans.
    I like what you said there about conference realignment. One thing has become quite evident, basketball only matters to us fans......football is king. The SEC, B1G, PAC 12, and Big 12 are the conferences to be in.

As far as the second part of that, the big programs usually get a slap on the hand if it goes on. But SMU still is in my head.

I really believe that this years team lacks veteran leadership. "Uncle Julius" is the closest thing this team has and he is learning an all new system the same as everybody else.

Last year had Darius Miller to rally the team and take big shots. The year before that was Josh Harrellson, before that was Patrick Patterson and the holdovers from the Billy the Clyde era.

Recruiting could really get interesting if this team continues to regress. I know the NBA drafts on talent alone, but Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress both would be better off coming back for a second year. Add in the Harrison twins and James Young and it might be more loaded than we thought.
    I completely concur. This team is young and is playing like it. They have the makings of a great team next year if everyone comes back with the additions.

part of BBN

Recruiting could really get interesting if this team continues to regress. I know the NBA drafts on talent alone, but Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress both would be better off coming back for a second year..
    I agree totally with NBA drafting on talent or potential alone.
    People say Cal hates the one and done. He always seems proud of saying he had x amount of players drafted. Whether he likes it or not, some of these kids are leaving and clearly not ready.
    Yesterday, Doron Lamb got sent to the D-League. If I am not mistaken, Jones has been there this year as well and Teague was rumored on his way.
    I am not saying these kids would be a world better for coming back another year or two but they say, you play for the "second" NBA contract and not the first and some (other than the Davis' and MKG's) may not get the second one.
    As far as this year's group, Goodwin does not impress me much at all. Seems to get most of his points on getting fouled. Rest of time, he is either falling on court or losing the ball. Poythress has been discussed so if he gets drafted, someone sees something I am not seeing.
    Noel....he is improving greatly and I can see someone going for this kid with a top pick.
    WCS...is showing real potential but still I feel would benefit from a sophmore season.

One more thing on the going PRO....I wonder if some of these kids feel pressured (maybe within self and by others) to keep up the UK to the Pro's after 1 year type thing that is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I agree totally with NBA drafting on talent or potential alone. People say Cal hates the one and done. He always seems proud of saying he had x amount of players drafted. Whether he likes it or not, some of these kids are leaving and clearly not ready. Yesterday, Doron Lamb got sent to the D-League. If I am not mistaken, Jones has been there this year as well and Teague was rumored on his way.
    The D-League has become a much bigger option for NBA teams, even for 2nd and 3rd year players or older. Better to have them playing and learning than sitting on the bench. I read somewhere that half of last year's first rounders are either currently in the D-League or have spent time there. That includes players who played three or four years of college ball, not just the one-and-done's. But it doesn't effect their pay. They're still making the huge money they signed for.

All the other top schools in the country are recruiting the same kids Cal recruits. They just can't out-recruit Cal. Cal is amazing at quickly developing freshmen -- the best I've ever seen, and it isn't even close. Why would you want to play for Roy Williams or Rick Pitino, two coaches notorious for not developing players, when you can play for Cal? It's a no-brainer.

One more thing on the going PRO....I wonder if some of these kids feel pressured (maybe within self and by others) to keep up the UK to the Pro's after 1 year type thing that is going on.
    This is a legitimate question, and I truly believe there is some validity to it. I think this year is the first time it could happen. But in the end, it's the NBA teams that make the call. If a kid like Goodwin or Poythress, two freshmen clearly not ready for the next level, are projected mid-first round (guaranteed $1.5 million+), that would be hard to turn down. It's not just the pressure to keep up. It's a lot of money.

Jones and Lamb came back, won a championship, and didn't hurt their draft status. If Goodwin and Poythress return, and with the monster class UK has signed already, they might be coming off the bench next year. That would mean UK has a ridiculously talented team, but it could also hurt their draft status. Even more so because next year's draft is suppose to be loaded compared to this year's weaker one. These OAD kids are under a lot of pressure. I can't even imagine how I would have handled that as a college freshman.

I don't think so. I think it has more to do with knowing that if you stay, someone is going to be looking over your shoulder looking to take your job.

Take Doron Lamb for instance. A lot of people criticized Lamb for leaving last season, but would you come back knowing you would be sharing minutes with Archie Goodwin, Ryan Harrow, and Alex Poythress in a rotation?

That's why I don't think UK will get Andrew Wiggins. If Poythress and/or Goodwin return, combined with Young and the twins, its going to be a massive logjam.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    All the other top schools in the country are recruiting the same kids Cal recruits. They just can't out-recruit Cal. Cal is amazing at quickly developing freshmen -- the best I've ever seen, and it isn't even close. Why would you want to play for Roy Williams or Rick Pitino, two coaches notorious for not developing players, when you can play for Cal? It's a no-brainer.
    The argument I would use against Cal is that he helps kids get drafted and that's about it. Life after the rookie contract is kind of a different story though.

Starting with Derrick Rose, I'd be interested in seeing in five years how the current crop of Memphis/UK players stack up in the pro's. Cal churns out lottery picks left and right but if they flame out in the NBA, coaches will use that against him and will sadly use it to their benefit as well.

The argument I would use against Cal is that he helps kids get drafted and that's about it. Life after the rookie contract is kind of a different story though.

Starting with Derrick Rose, I'd be interested in seeing in five years how the current crop of Memphis/UK players stack up in the pro's. Cal churns out lottery picks left and right but if they flame out in the NBA, coaches will use that against him and will sadly use it to their benefit as well.
    I'd say Cal would have to have a long stretch of guys not panning out at this point before any other coach could use it against him. What's a coach like Rick Pitino going to say? He can't get any of his players drafted (two in 11 years at UofL?), while Cal has had one loaded draft after another. Not just kids getting drafted, but most of them getting guaranteed contracts, and three being drafted #1. Cal isn't just getting the OAD's drafted. He's getting kids like Josh Harrelson and Deandre Liggins drafted. I mean Josh Harrelson? That's crazy.

I just legally renamed my youngest son "2012 Sweet 16".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

part of BBN

For any one watching the UK game, the recent play "is" Archie Goodwin. Fastbreak and Wiltjer ahead of the pack and Goodwin keeps it instead of passing so he can get his points. Sad !
    It is common now to see this game in and game out from him. He wants his points and wants to get drafted.
    That doesnt translate to team play.
    Cal should have a couple of good recruiting tapes.....last year (teamwork) and what it can get you and this year's team.
    Last edited by jmac; 01-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.

For any one watching the UK game, the recent play "is" Archie Goodwin. Fastbreak and Wiltjer ahead of the pack and Goodwin keeps it instead of passing so he can get his points. Sad !
    It is common now to see this game in and game out from him. He wants his points and wants to get drafted.
    That doesnt translate to team play.
    Cal should have a couple of good recruiting tapes.....last year (teamwork) and what it can get you and this year's team.
    Goodwin has never met a shot he doesn't like. One player not passing the ball can really hurt team chemistry. Its been quite obvious all season Goodwin doesn't like to pass the ball. Cal should have taken care of this by now.
    People talk about Goodwin and Poythress and how they should come back next year. I'm not sure I want either back next year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As soon as Archie fouled out I felt like our chances of winning went up considerably.

He doesn't pass, he takes horrible shots, he plays defense with his hands and is constantly getting beat...

I'm definitely in the boat of wanting to send Poythress on his way if it means getting Wiggins or Randle.

Archie I think is gone regardless, I would not want to be the GM who ties my future to that draft pick, however.

He did pass it once last night after driving to Mays for a 3. Hopefully Cal will make him watch that on a loop for a few hours to drive it into his skull how you're supposed to play basketball.

I'm glad that Cal has decided to scale back the screaming a bit, it obviously wasn't helping at this point.

Turn Off Ads?