Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

This was UT's 2nd win over UK with Cal.

UT beat the Wall-led team at home in 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Still love the free pass for Cal... It's his team, he recruited it, and he hasn't done a very good job of holding it together. To be quite frank, before Noel went down, you really didn't have a tournament team. Their only win was over Ole Miss, and that's looking less and less tournament worthy by the minute.

This system has been the plan the whole time. The very design of it lends itself to not having meaningful depth and veteran leadership. It's not an accident, it CALIPARI'S PLAN. Quit making excuses for the guy.
    E8, FF, NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP... That's why he gets a pass. I know you like to pretend last year didn't happen, but the man is coming off a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and that MORE than buys him a BRIDGE YEAR.

He missed on a couple guys he wanted. If Shabazz Muhammad and Anthony Bennett had chosen UK we would NOT be having this conversation.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS are the measure of a Coach at UK and THIS Coach won one his THIRD YEAR at UK. That BUYS HIM GOODWILL.

I hope I have been clear enough for you this time.

I wonder if IU fans came up with any excuses for Crean when he lost twenty games in back to back seasons? :bigthink:

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I wonder if IU fans came up with any excuses for Crean when he lost twenty games in back to back season? :scratch:
    Why? He wasn't responsible for the previous 10-15 years that had put the program in the state it was in when he took over...

If this was an interview, I'd ignore the rest of your questions.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

E8, FF, NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP... That's why he gets a pass. I know you like to pretend last year didn't happen, but the man is coming off a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and that MORE than buys him a BRIDGE YEAR.

He missed on a couple guys he wanted. If Shabazz Muhammad and Anthony Bennett had chosen UK we would NOT be having this conversation.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS are the measure of a Coach at UK and THIS Coach won one his THIRD YEAR at UK. That BUYS HIM GOODWILL.

Did you go into this year expecting a bridge year?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Did you go into this year expecting a bridge year?
    I said from the beginning of this thread when talking about expectations that I thought they would be good enough to play with anyone at the end of the year. I said that as recently as a week ago and was in agreement with Scrap Irony on that opinion, one of the most respected posters on this site, and not a UK fan in the slightest.

When the #1 draft pick on your team goes down with a season ending injury, your expectations change. Ask UC fans about their expectations after Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the CUSA Tournament.

Rival fans just need to accept that any rational UK fan is nothing but tickled pink with what Cal has done to our program. Do I think Cal needs to consider recruiting more multi-year players? Perhaps. He was apparently in Pittsburgh scouting a 4 star earlier this week.

Derek Willis from Bullitt East, a player IU, UL, and Purdue wanted, btw, is a guaranteed 4 year player.

Do I consider myself enough of an expert to tell Cal to take a less talented guy who MIGHT stick around instead of a superior one and done type? NOPE.

8. Likes:

jmac (02-18-2013)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

As a rival fan, I applaud what Cal has been able to do up 'til this point. However alot of me thinks that his formula is flawed and this year proves it. I dont mean it in a bad way, I just dont think you can throw a bunch of unproven players on the floor and compete for a title year in and year out.

I wonder if IU fans came up with any excuses for Crean when he lost twenty games in back to back seasons? :bigthink:

Sure, some of them did. But you also got to remember that Crean had a big time injury as well. We will just never know what Mo Creek could have been.

Yes. Um, his teams were lacking, uh that one thing you need a lot of....what is it? Oh yeah, talent. They didn't have any of that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

BTW, I agree with all of this. 1 year of bring a bubble team for being a NC contender the next 3? That's cool. You tell any fanbase in the country that in a decade they're gonna get 6 or 7 legit shots at a NC, any of them would be ecstatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

LOL Razor.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    As a rival fan, I applaud what Cal has been able to do up 'til this point. However alot of me thinks that his formula is flawed and this year proves it. I dont mean it in a bad way, I just dont think you can throw a bunch of unproven players on the floor and compete for a title year in and year out.
    I see what you are saying AH, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it "flawed".

I think the only reason people thought Kentucky would be in the mix this season is because of how down overall college basketball has been this season. This team lacks something the previous team lacked and that is balance.

Cal's first team had Patrick Patterson, Perry Stevenson, and Ramon Harris, the latter two had played for three coaches during their tenure at Kentucky.

The second team had Josh Harrellson and two juniors in DeAndre Liggins and Darius Miller.

Last years National Championship team had Darius Miller as a senior. Say what you want about Lamb or Jones, but if Kentucky didn't have Miller to rally around last season, they don't win it all, period.

This years team is reloading everybody. Winning with one and dones can be done, and Cal has shown that, but you have to have a senior leadership. I like Juilus Mayes and what he has brought to the team, but he is on the same learning curve as everyone else.

Depth is another issue, and I'm talking about quality depth. It's like my dad and I were discussing on Sunday about the game. Jarrod Polson put up a lot better stat line than Ryan Harrow, who Cal benched to send a message to. That message isn't being sent though when the team loses by 30.

Something else to consider as well is that Cal's teams typically need a PG catalyst. Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Brandon Knight, Marquis Teague, etc. Notice who the top incoming PG prospect (Rodney Purvis) was for this years class and how weak the class as a whole was. Next season we have Andrew Harrison and possibly Tyus Jones the year after that.

I'm really feeling confident about next season, although its going to be a very interesting offseason. What makes it scary is that its really unpredictable:

Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress: Do they go pro even if their draft stock takes a hit with this season? If they come back they will be fighting for minutes with the Harrison Twins, James Young, and possibly Andrew Wiggins and/or Julius Randle/Aaron Gordon.

Inside: Does Nerlens Noel need a second season in college to finish rehab? He's going to miss valuable summer league time in the NBA, would a second season in college set up a smoother transition to the pro's? Does Willie Cauley-Stein go pro? If both return, UK brings in a four headed monster of Nerlens/Willie/Dakari Johnson/Marcus Lee.
    Last edited by WVRed; 02-19-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Noel would have to be certifiably insane to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Noel would have to be certifiably insane to return.
    I don't see it happening myself, but it has been floated around. I think it depends on how his rehab progresses but with how weak this draft class is, he could still be a top five pick and be ready middle of next season.

I'd say he's gone and that's the most predictable thing you can say about this offseason coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't see it happening myself, but it has been floated around. I think it depends on how his rehab progresses but with how weak this draft class is, he could still be a top five pick and be ready middle of next season.

I'd say he's gone and that's the most predictable thing you can say about this offseason coming up.
    Noel is the classic case of someone who could use an extra year in college. He needs to get bigger, stronger, and develop more of an offensive game. IMO its much easier to do that at the college level than the Pro level. But when some NBA team is going to pay you millions to do that its hard to pass up.

Turn Off Ads?