Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Louisville had one quality win the entire season
    No way. I'll give you that they were inconsistent, but they beat some good teams, particularly in their BE and NCAA tourney runs.

Marquette, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Davidson, New Mexico, Michigan State, and Florida is a pretty nice 7 game stretch.

I think that run at least showed what they were (are?) capable of.

They lost two of their best scorers
    Did Russ Smith leave??? As far as I know, Kuric and Swopshire is all they lost. Assuming that's right, they return roughly 77 percent of their scoring from last year.

No doubt, they're not great. But they are a "known." We do have some idea about what they can do. I also think Dieng and Behanan will both be interesting players to watch next year. And of course, maybe we finally learn who the real Peyton Siva is. That's the crucial aspect. If he plays like he did the last month of the season, they could be very tough to deal with.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    No way. I'll give you that they were inconsistent, but they beat some good teams, particularly in their BE and NCAA tourney runs.

Marquette, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Davidson, New Mexico, Michigan State, and Florida is a pretty nice 7 game stretch.

I think that run at least showed what they were (are?) capable of.

Did Russ Smith leave??? As far as I know, Kuric and Swopshire is all they lost. Assuming that's right, they return roughly 77 percent of their scoring from last year.

No doubt, they're not great. But they are a "known." We do have some idea about what they can do. I also think Dieng and Behanan will both be interesting players to watch next year. And of course, maybe we finally learn who the real Peyton Siva is. That's the crucial aspect. If he plays like he did the last month of the season, they could be very tough to deal with.
    I forgot about the Florida game. They lost Chris Smith also.

Smith and kuric will be replaced in the starting lineup by blackshear (injured), Hancock (transfer) or Russ Smith. The team will be better next year with those upgrades. IF, Siva plays to potential and Behanon and Dieng continue to develop they will be very good. One thing they showed in the tourney last year is that with their defense they can hang with anyone. Add a little offensive improvement and you can see where the ranking is justified.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

The 2012 season gave us two of the most talented teams to ever step on a college basketball court, and if not for Marshall's injury we might have seen one of the great championship games ever. That won't be the case next year. If IU, Louisville and a totally rebuilt UK team are indeed the three best teams in the country, then it's going to be a very down year for college basketball, talent-wise. IU had zero quality wins away from home, Louisville had one quality win the entire season, and UK will definitely be a notch or two below the squad that won it all this year.

Look around the country -- just about every top program is going to be down compared to their usual strength. UNC, Duke, Kansas, UConn, etc. They will still be ranked, because someone has to fill those spots, but they will be down nonetheless.

Louisville is the perfect indicator of where college basketball will be in 2013. They were so bad for much of the regular season, there were serious rumblings about getting rid of Pitino. They fell completely out of the Top 25 after being ranked 4th at one time (though undeservedly). They lost two of their best scorers (from a team that struggled to score), and they have very little coming in next year. Yet they are preseason Top 3? That's crazy.
    IU had no quality wins away from home? How about at NC State and at Purdue? Notre Dame on a neutral floor? Now how is that zero?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Smith and kuric will be replaced in the starting lineup by blackshear (injured), Hancock (transfer) or Russ Smith. The team will be better next year with those upgrades. IF, Siva plays to potential and Behanon and Dieng continue to develop they will be very good. One thing they showed in the tourney last year is that with their defense they can hang with anyone. Add a little offensive improvement and you can see where the ranking is justified.
    The ranking is justified because it's going to be a very down year for college basketball. I don't see how anyone could look at that Louisville team and think for even a moment they are a preseason #1 caliber squad. They will basically be the same team that tumbled their way completely out of the Top 25 this year, before getting hot against an obviously down Big East in their post-season tournament.

Look at the preseason top two teams last year -- UNC and UK. Then look at what might be the preseason top two next year -- IU and Louisville. That's a huge drop-off talent-wise. You're talking about two teams with a combined 10 first round NBA picks last year, versus two teams with maybe a total of one first round draft pick next year. Talent-wise, there's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    IU had no quality wins away from home? How about at NC State and at Purdue? Notre Dame on a neutral floor? Now how is that zero?
    Sorry, man, I guess my anti-IU bias was showing there.

Sorry, man, I guess my anti-IU bias was showing there.
    LOL.....at least your honest!!!!!!! BTW.......UK only played one true road game last year outside of conference. Just sayin'.

Forgot about him. But as josh mentioned, I don't think either of those two guys aren't replaceable.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I dont like it when the powerhouses have to rebuild because the whole starting 5 left early for the NBA.
    We don't have to rebuild, we just have to reload...

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    We don't have to rebuild, we just have to reload...
    LOL......I like the terminology!!!!!

The 2012 season gave us two of the most talented teams to ever step on a college basketball court, and if not for Marshall's injury we might have seen one of the great championship games ever.
    Even with a healthy Kendall Marshall the '12 UNC team would be at best the fourth most talented UNC team of the Williams era. It was far from one of the most talented teams "to ever step on a college basketball court".

I agree that '13 won't be very good at all. It is definitely a year where a team like UK could gel down the stretch and make a Final Four. But I totally disagree that '12 was some sort of outstanding year.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Even with a healthy Kendall Marshall the '12 UNC team would be at best the fourth most talented UNC team of the Williams era. It was far from one of the most talented teams "to ever step on a college basketball court".

I agree that '13 won't be very good at all. It is definitely a year where a team like UK could gel down the stretch and make a Final Four. But I totally disagree that '12 was some sort of outstanding year.
    I wasn't suggesting '12 was an outstanding year for college basketball talent overall. Just pointing out that '13 will definitely be a down year. Possibly as down as any I can remember.

Michael Porter, of all people, arrested on sex charges? Wow, didn't see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Talent is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

I see Kendall Marshall as a Doc Rivers/ Mark Jackson clone, capable of giving 10/10 just about every night.

I see John Henson as a 15/10 guy with 3 blocks per game.

I see Tyler Zeller as an All Star C as soon as his second season, capable of going 17/10 every night.

I see Harrison Barnes as a 17/8/4 SF with a couple All Star nominations.

All four project, IMO, as NBA starters.

No Carolina team has done that under Williams.

Amile Jefferson to Duke.

Turn Off Ads?