Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Ya know, I've tried to be respectful towards you, because we're both Reds fans, and I've only posted factual stuff. It's a fact we were ranked in the Top Five eight times in the 80's. It's a fact that Sam Bowie missing two years because of leg injuries completely changed our team for three years. It's not "whining", it's facts. I have not talked trash about any other schools -- though I could. If by "drought" you mean championships, you need to check your own school's track record. Other than the fluke run UCLA had, even the best programs average less than one championship per decade. Your school is far below that average.

Again, I've tried to discuss basketball with you respectfully. Not sure why you're losing your cool. Do you really expect UK fans to not be biased towards UK? There is an IU thread on this forum, but you choose to post mainly in the UK thread. You remind me of most of the IU and UofL fans I know -- more obsessed with UK than their own school.
    I appreciate your trying to be respectful. I dont see how Sam Bowie's injury affected 18 years. But you did hit something on the head. UK was a very good basketball team a majority of those 18 years, just wasnt playing for a championship. I put "drought" in quotations for a reason. Some people measure success in championships, I dont. I was just pointing out the fact that there were 18 years in between for UK. Right now it is 25 for IU, but in there is a national title game appearance, 2 Final Fours, 3 Elite Eights, and 7 Sweet Sixteens. Great by a lot of schools standards, but not IU's or UK's. To say IU is below average on championships is ludicrous. You might want to re-think that comment.

I am not losing my cool. And I expect total bias from UK fans, but I also expect them to be fans of the sport. I post on the UK board here because this is where there is activity. I come here for the Reds, but cant help but join in on the discussions on this thread. I am not obsessed with UK but to be honest this is the only board I come to where UK hoops are discussed by UK fans and I love the discussions and join in because I love the game of college basketball.

If you have taken any of my comments in a dis-respectful manner, I apologize for that. It was not my intent.

Go Reds!!!!!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    PS.......I remember the 89-90 season well. Nothing like walking into Rupp and spanking the 'Cats by 25. Which is what would have happened this year.
    I've tried to stay out of this, but while I acknowledge that Indiana is going to be very good and a national title threat, there is no way that Indiana would come into Rupp and beat a John Calipari coached team by 25.

Do I think Indiana could possibly win? Yes. By double digits? Yes. A blowout? Not happening.

If the game was at Bloomington I might agree with a blowout given its a road game for a young team and a hostile environment. It happened in the 89 season because of probation and a major talent disparity. The talent gap is closer this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Cats with a 3.12 GPA in the spring semester.

Were it not for Daniel Orton, Calipari's team GPA would be close to 3.00 in the three years he's been the Kentucky coach.

(Orton, as many will recall, left Kentucky high and dry in Calipari's first season as coach, and chose not to finish out the spring semester as a student but to focus on making the NBA.)

Since Boob Knight's declaration that Calipari is doing a disservice to the NCAA and student-athletes, Kentucky's GPA ranks in the top ten percent of all NCAA basketball schools that have released their team GPAs.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I've tried to stay out of this, but while I acknowledge that Indiana is going to be very good and a national title threat, there is no way that Indiana would come into Rupp and beat a John Calipari coached team by 25.

Do I think Indiana could possibly win? Yes. By double digits? Yes. A blowout? Not happening.

If the game was at Bloomington I might agree with a blowout given its a road game for a young team and a hostile environment. It happened in the 89 season because of probation and a major talent disparity. The talent gap is closer this time.
    LOL.......I hear ya WV. And understand what you are saying. But remember that 89-90 IU team went 8-10 in the Big Ten. I dont think there is any way in hell that IU would go into Rupp and beat the 'Cats by 25. I couldnt believe it then and wouldnt believe it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Were it not for Daniel Orton, Calipari's team GPA would be close to 3.00 in the three years he's been the Kentucky coach.

(Orton, as many will recall, left Kentucky high and dry in Calipari's first season as coach, and chose not to finish out the spring semester as a student but to focus on making the NBA.)

Since Boob Knight's declaration that Calipari is doing a disservice to the NCAA and student-athletes, Kentucky's GPA ranks in the top ten percent of all NCAA basketball schools that have released their team GPAs.
    Oh but do you have any idea how clean IU's ball players keep their rooms? They could all be English butler's.

If it wasn't for that slob Matt Roth and the infamous poop smear incident IU would be in the top 10 for dorm cleanliness of B1G Ten schools that have released their teams dorm cleanliness reports.

Crean is renown for being drill Sargentesque in room cleanliness. "Cut class if you have to" he's known to say "but keep your mf room clean."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I dont like the way the General talks about Cal. IMHO his hatred of him is two fold. 1..........He didnt like the way UK was under Hall and Sutton. 2........he likes John Cheaney who dislikes Cal. On another note, Bob had nothing but praise for Pittino and Tubby when they were in charge. Bob doesnt understand the landscape change. I find Cal a very interesting person and I like him. I just hope he proves Knight wrong and keeps UK out of any NCAA violations. Because that would shut him up as well as other UK/Cal haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Oh but do you have any idea how clean IU's ball players keep their rooms? They could all be English butler's.

If it wasn't for that slob Matt Roth and the infamous poop smear incident IU would be in the top 10 for dorm cleanliness of B1G Ten schools that have released their teams dorm cleanliness reports.

Crean is renown for being drill Sargentesque in room cleanliness. "Cut class if you have to" he's known to say "but keep your mf room clean."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont like the way the General talks about Cal. IMHO his hatred of him is two fold. 1..........He didnt like the way UK was under Hall and Sutton. 2........he likes John Cheaney who dislikes Cal. On another note, Bob had nothing but praise for Pittino and Tubby when they were in charge. Bob doesnt understand the landscape change. I find Cal a very interesting person and I like him. I just hope he proves Knight wrong and keeps UK out of any NCAA violations. Because that would shut him up as well as other UK/Cal haters.
    1) John Cheaney likes Calipari. Read the SI article on their relationship-- it tells you something about Calipari's heart, IMO.

2) Nothing will shut up Cal haters. Haters gonna hate, no matter what happens. Calipari could give away his entire salary and some would complain that he didn't do it sooner.

1) John Cheaney likes Calipari. Read the SI article on their relationship-- it tells you something about Calipari's heart, IMO.

2) Nothing will shut up Cal haters. Haters gonna hate, no matter what happens. Calipari could give away his entire salary and some would complain that he didn't do it sooner.
    Cheaney likes Cal? Hmmmmmmm.......after threatening to "kill" him at a press conference? Oh well.......I know Kniight thought the world of the former Temple coach and they had a series together.

Personally, I dont understand the Cal bashing. It never made any sense to me and still doesnt 'til this day. The guy took a UMASS team to prominence and resurrected a Memphis program. IMO if any program or coach should be under the microscope it should be Duke and Coach K. Kind of funny how all their players graduate in 3 years and all major in the same thing. Hmmmmmmm.

From the SI article done on Calipari, John Chaney says:

"I admire him. He knows that.
    He goes on to tell Price how Calipari continued to talk with him, even after the "I'll kill you" incident and how he didn't hold it against Chaney. Last season, Chaney came in to Lexington to talk to Calipari about defense.

Some old enemies have become friends. After their wars ended in the Atlantic 10, Calipari cultivated Chaney, picking his brain about his zone defense, inviting him to his annual coaches' retreat. "I admire him," Chaney says, "and he knows that."

Not even the second blot on Calipari's record—the 2007--08 season vacated by Memphis because someone other than guard Derrick Rose reportedly took his one passing SAT test in high school—bothers Chaney. (Rose denies any wrongdoing in the matter.) But how can a coach not know about his star recruit's SAT? How could Calipari, renowned for being so detail oriented, twice be so in the dark?

"If John said he didn't know, that's good enough for me," Chaney says. "I can see how some of these things can get past. Especially nowadays, they can present you with a youngster who's tainted. Believe me."
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 05-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Take off the blinders. They have been pretty low before. Just a few years back there was disharmony in Lexington. Before that it was Tubby Smith. Before that it was Eddie Sutton. Before that the program was under scrutiny with Joe B., And before that even Adolph Rupp had his problems. They all go through it NY Red, UK is not exempt, even if you think they are.
    The "low" points for UK is a NIT appearance, as compared to IU's lows.

BUT, BUT, CREAN HAD TO REBUILD! AND TOOK 5 YEARS!

It's funny how some in the national media completely ignore these facts and run with their own agenda instead. As for Bobby Knight, he long ago should have been institutionalized in a combination old folks/anger management facility. By far the worst and most obviously biased analyst in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    The "low" points for UK is a NIT appearance, as compared to IU's lows.

BUT, BUT, CREAN HAD TO REBUILD! AND TOOK 5 YEARS!
    That's why Crean isn't now, and never will be, a great coach. Great coaches rebuild immediately. It took Pitino one year to get UK back on track after the Sutton fiasco. Calipari did it in just a couple months. Crean isn't that kind of coach and isn't that kind of personality. He has to rely on Indiana kids wanting to play for the state school, because top recruits around the country don't have IU or Crean on their radar. He better hope the home state AAU pipeline doesn't dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    That's why Crean isn't now, and never will be, a great coach. Great coaches rebuild immediately. It took Pitino one year to get UK back on track after the Sutton fiasco. Calipari did it in just a couple months. Crean isn't that kind of coach and isn't that kind of personality. He has to rely on Indiana kids wanting to play for the state school, because top recruits around the country don't have IU or Crean on their radar. He better hope the home state AAU pipeline doesn't dry up.
    Thank God we dont have to rely on Kentucky kids. Hmmmmmm......but neither does UK anymore. Very factual stuff there NY Red. Home state AAU pipeline? Watford, Oladipo, Sheehey.............geez I fail to make the connection.

BTW, neither Pittino or Calipari gutted their program. Crean took over a program that would have been pretty dang good. He kicked off three returning starters.

Thank God we dont have to rely on Kentucky kids. Hmmmmmm......but neither does UK anymore. Very factual stuff there NY Red. Home state AAU pipeline? Watford, Oladipo, Sheehey.............geez I fail to make the connection.

BTW, neither Pittino or Calipari gutted their program. Crean took over a program that would have been pretty dang good. He kicked off three returning starters.
    Returning players on UK's first team under Cal:

Darius Miller
    Patrick Patterson
    Josh Harrellson
    DeAndre Liggins
    Ramon Harris
    Perry Stevenson

That's quite the roster right there.

Turn Off Ads?