Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Didn't you say the talent level was down in college basketball?

How do you judge talent, Assembly?
    I never said that Scrap. I said the game was down and has been.

Talent will always be in the college game. The problem is that these days the talent doesnt spend 3-4 years in it. There's a reason why the mid-majors present problems to the big boys these days.........they stay in school for 4 years.

I dont really judge talent. I watch teams and how they play. These days it seems like the good teams arent together for very long because players leave for the NBA. Most guys here seem to think that how many guys you land in the NBA defines your program and therefore determines the landscape of college basketball. I am just saying that I dont believe in that ideology.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    102-90

In case anyone has forgotten...

(did any mementos from that game make their way into "The Shrine"? )
    Seasons over dude. Congrats again on a title. Feel free to quit stroking your trophy and spraying K-Y jelly at us IU fans at anytime!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Kendall Marshall is the 3rd best PG of the Williams era. He has a lot of trouble finishing at the rim and cannot keep anyone in front of him. Best passer of the Williams era, but nowhere near the best PG. If this wasn't a terrible year for PGs he'd still be in Chapel Hill.

John Henson will never average 15 ppg in the NBA. Never. I'd easily take Marvin Williams or Brandan Wright over him coming out of college. He'll be a decent defender in the NBA but there's no way he averages 15 ppg.

Zeller is not a good post defender at all. I can see him scoring a little because he is skilled but the All-Star prediction is out there in my opinion. If any NBA GM thought that was possible, he'd be the second pick behind Davis.

Barnes may be the one guy who is a better pro than college player, but overall he was a pretty big disappointment in his time at Chapel Hill.

The '05, '08 and '09 UNC teams were all better than the '12 team.
    Good stuff RR.......I especially like that comment about Barnes. Seems like like people forget he was pre-season All-American even before he put on a Tar Heel jersey.

I think IU fans refuse to admit the 2013 season will be a down year because, in their eyes, admitting that would in some way diminish their lofty preseason ranking. I've noticed Louisville fans are talking the same way. Everyone else seems to have no problem admitting the talent level will be down next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Seasons over dude. Congrats again on a title. Feel free to quit stroking your trophy and spraying K-Y jelly at us IU fans at anytime!!!!!!!!
    hehehe, just giving you a hard time, AH.

As far as I'm concerned, this season isn't over till first regular season tip-off in November!! Lots of time left to celebrate with my Louisville and IU friends.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I think IU fans refuse to admit the 2013 season will be a down year because, in their eyes, admitting that would in some way diminish their lofty preseason ranking. I've noticed Louisville fans are talking the same way. Everyone else seems to have no problem admitting the talent level will be down next year.
    It's natural to react that way, IMO.

In their eyes, people saying next year will be a down year for college bball is downgrading their team.

Technically, I guess it is. But it's also true.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    hehehe, just giving you a hard time, AH.

As far as I'm concerned, this season isn't over till first regular season tip-off in November!! Lots of time left to celebrate with my Louisville and IU friends.
    LOL......I would be the same way in your shoes!!!!!!!!!

Saying that is hog wash. A championship is a championship, whether it is a down year does not dimish the accomplishment what so ever. If that comment was directed at me, you dont have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Saying that is hog wash. A championship is a championship, whether it is a down year does not dimish the accomplishment what so ever. If that comment was directed at me, you dont have a clue.
    It was directed at IU and UofL fans in general, as they seem to be the only ones who don't think '13 will be a very down year for college basketball. All the so-called experts and talking heads seem to feel that way, as do fans of other schools.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

NC State might make some noise, but that's a Mark Gotfried-coached team-- he's done less with more his entire coaching career.
    Like knocking off top-seeded Stanford in the '04 NCAA 2nd Round?

Like reaching the Sweet 16 with a team that wasn't projected to even reach the NCAAs in, by your own admission, a loaded NCAA from a talent standpoint?

Thread derailment over.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

A championship is a championship, whether it is a down year does not dimish the accomplishment what so ever
    Agreed, but, IMHO, it isn't worth arguing.

That stated, I agree with the prospects of a Mid-major, or a surprise BCS school, pulling it out in the end.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Kendall Marshall is the 3rd best PG of the Williams era. He has a lot of trouble finishing at the rim and cannot keep anyone in front of him. Best passer of the Williams era, but nowhere near the best PG. If this wasn't a terrible year for PGs he'd still be in Chapel Hill.

John Henson will never average 15 ppg in the NBA. Never. I'd easily take Marvin Williams or Brandan Wright over him coming out of college. He'll be a decent defender in the NBA but there's no way he averages 15 ppg.

Zeller is not a good post defender at all. I can see him scoring a little because he is skilled but the All-Star prediction is out there in my opinion. If any NBA GM thought that was possible, he'd be the second pick behind Davis.

Barnes may be the one guy who is a better pro than college player, but overall he was a pretty big disappointment in his time at Chapel Hill.

The '05, '08 and '09 UNC teams were all better than the '12 team.
    Couldn't be more accurate.

FWIW, I share the general opinion that the '09 Tar Heels were the last "Great" NCAA team preceding the '12 Wildcats. No offense to Duke and UConn fans.

It was directed at IU and UofL fans in general, as they seem to be the only ones who don't think '13 will be a very down year for college basketball. All the so-called experts and talking heads seem to feel that way, as do fans of other schools.
    Once again thinking about how many guys are gonna be in the NBA draft and how deep the draft is. How plainer do I need to say it? The game has been down for quite awhile. 20 years at least. The college game would improve if the players didnt leave early. Hell, the college basketball "talking heads" will tell you that. Quit analizing college basketball via the NBA draft projections. I dont want to sound harsh, but geez what more do I need to state. It seems as the UK fans need to solidify their championship with how many guys are going pro. I dont care. You won. Great season. So be it. Next year will be the same as last. Guys will leave and programs will rebuild.......I am gonna get off of here before I blow a gasket. Enjoyed the discussion.

If the talent level doesn't determine the level of basketball, what does? What am I missing here? As for the game being down for the last 20 years, I don't see that at all. There's been a bunch of great players and great teams over the past 20 years, as recently as UK this past season. The great players don't stay as long, but whether they stay one year, two years or three, they're immediately replaced by more great players.

Some years are better than others, and occasionally there are down years. 2013 is definitely one of those down years, talent-wise, both individually and collectively. If IU, UofL and UK make up the preseason top three, it will probably be the weakest preseason top three of my lifetime. However, it in no way diminishes a national championship though. I don't know where that argument came from.

You are basing the college basketball talent level on how that talent gets drafted in the NBA. How is 2013 gonna be a down year by your standards? What the NBA scouts have to say about the projected early entries? Once again, if everybody would have stayed in school, next year would be a marquee year. The cycle keeps happening. 2012 was a down year regardless of how the draft goes. What is your judgement on the talent level if all those UK boys are flops in the NBA?

Turn Off Ads?