Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Talent is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

I see Kendall Marshall as a Doc Rivers/ Mark Jackson clone, capable of giving 10/10 just about every night.

I see John Henson as a 15/10 guy with 3 blocks per game.

I see Tyler Zeller as an All Star C as soon as his second season, capable of going 17/10 every night.

I see Harrison Barnes as a 17/8/4 SF with a couple All Star nominations.

All four project, IMO, as NBA starters.

No Carolina team has done that under Williams.
    Ya cant do that Scrap. The college game does not translate into the pros or visa versa. They have nothing to do with each other.

Anyone can be Nostradamus........I would have told you when they came out that Wayman Tisdale, Ralph Sampson, Christian Laetner,Glenn Robinson, and Calbert Cheaney were destined for great things in the NBA. Glad I didnt bet the farm on it. Look at all the talent Duke has had and won championships with........how are all those guys doing in the NBA?

I really expect to see next season kind of mirror this one. The only difference being that the top 2 teams being talked about(IU and Louisville) have teams within their conference that will give them alot of trouble. Lousiville just might have the upper hand because of that extremely unbalanced Big East schedule. Even as an IU fan I look forward to seeing UK and I think they will be in the mix. I see NC State and Michigan being contenders as well. And Notre Dame has all starters returning.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Michael Porter, of all people, arrested on sex charges? Wow, didn't see that coming.
    Pretty disgusting if it proves to be true. And this is on top of what is going on with Richie Farmer.

Michael Porter, on the court, was one of my all time least favorite players. I don't think he was ever fully capable of playing in the SEC, but just got a pass because Tubby knew his dad (coach at the same HS that produced Chuck Hayes).

Off the court, I heard he was a good Christian kid who was married before he graduated, has a little girl, etc. So if the story proves to be true, that pretty much eradicates that. I hope no court in the Commonwealth cuts him any slack just because he played at UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

And here I was thinking Michael Porter's worst offense was being terrible at basketball.

Looks like the case involves a teen bible study group in which Porter was the teacher. He was 21 at the time and the girl in question was 14, with the offense being oral sex. I'll save judgement until the court decides the case, but if authorities had enough evidence to bring charges against him, it doesn't look good. This is why I don't blindly support these kids just because they wore my school's colors. None of them.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Looks like the case involves a teen bible study group in which Porter was the teacher. He was 21 at the time and the girl in question was 14, with the offense being oral sex. I'll save judgement until the court decides the case, but if authorities had enough evidence to bring charges against him, it doesn't look good. This is why I don't blindly support these kids just because they wore my school's colors. None of them.
    Very well said. And a sad deal to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Ya cant do that Scrap. The college game does not translate into the pros or visa versa. They have nothing to do with each other.
    Talent translates anywhere.

Years from now, people will look back on this draft much like the 1984 draft. Deep, talented, and prepared to play at a high level very quickly.

Talent translates anywhere.

Years from now, people will look back on this draft much like the 1984 draft. Deep, talented, and prepared to play at a high level very quickly.
    Hmmmmmmm....I dont think so. But that is my opinion.

According to NBA scouts, this current draft is loaded. Next years? Not so much. It's going to be a down year talent-wise for college basketball, any way you look at it. We'll have an Indiana team that isn't even close to being as talented as a lot of past IU teams, a Louisville team that isn't even close to being as talented as a lot of past Louisville teams, and a UK team that will be probably two notches below the 2012 UK team -- yet these three teams could start the season ranked 1-2-3 in the country? Seriously? I love that the "triangle" of Kentucky/Louisville/Indiana will possibly start the season 1, 2 and 3, but neither will have the kind of power teams they've had at times in the past. Most years, these three teams would be lucky to crack the Top Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Hmmmmmmm....I dont think so. But that is my opinion.
    It's kinda silly to debate this from either angle. None of these kids have laced up for the NBA yet. We haven't even had the draft yet!

This could be the greatest class since 1984 or 2003, or it could be a class littered with busts similar to the 2000 class. We just don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It's kinda silly to debate this from either angle. None of these kids have laced up for the NBA yet. We haven't even had the draft yet!

This could be the greatest class since 1984 or 2003, or it could be a class littered with busts similar to the 2000 class. We just don't know.
    The point is a lot of you are trying to compare how good a college team or college basketball is by how many guys go to the NBA or go high in the draft. Saying that this is a deep draft somehow equates into this past college season was a good one. I dont see it that way.

I said it before and I will say it again. The college game is down period. Has been for twenty years. It is all do to the kids jumping to the NBA early. I know the money is dang near impossible to pass up but the college game does suffer. If everyone would have passed on the NBA, next season would have been fantastic across the board. We would be talking about a final four consisting of UK, IU, Louisville, Ohio St., Kansas, Florida, Syracuse, Michigan, North Carolina, Duke, and NC St. Now with the defections the game comes crashing down.

How does UK lose its top 6 players and still be considered a Top 5 school heading into next season just based on the unproven recruits they have coming in? Pretty simple. The college game is down.

With all that being said I am gonna still watch it and enjoy it.

There's a difference between a good college basketball season and one in which a lot of talent surfaces. The latter is easily analyzed, though it takes years. The former is completely subjective.

The talent displayed this season in college basketball was among the best the sport has seen in college-- period.

There's a difference between a good college basketball season and one in which a lot of talent surfaces. The latter is easily analyzed, though it takes years. The former is completely subjective.

The talent displayed this season in college basketball was among the best the sport has seen in college-- period.
    That last sentence cracks me up! So the college basketball season is measured by how you perceive talent?

Too many of you fellas are looking at college basketball through the eyes of NBA scouts. Thank God UK isnt a football school, because a lot of you guys would hand the Heisman to who you thought would be the best NFL player.

Didn't you say the talent level was down in college basketball?

How do you judge talent, Assembly?

102-90

In case anyone has forgotten...

(did any mementos from that game make their way into "The Shrine"? )

Talent is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

I see Kendall Marshall as a Doc Rivers/ Mark Jackson clone, capable of giving 10/10 just about every night.

I see John Henson as a 15/10 guy with 3 blocks per game.

I see Tyler Zeller as an All Star C as soon as his second season, capable of going 17/10 every night.

I see Harrison Barnes as a 17/8/4 SF with a couple All Star nominations.

All four project, IMO, as NBA starters.

No Carolina team has done that under Williams.
    Kendall Marshall is the 3rd best PG of the Williams era. He has a lot of trouble finishing at the rim and cannot keep anyone in front of him. Best passer of the Williams era, but nowhere near the best PG. If this wasn't a terrible year for PGs he'd still be in Chapel Hill.

John Henson will never average 15 ppg in the NBA. Never. I'd easily take Marvin Williams or Brandan Wright over him coming out of college. He'll be a decent defender in the NBA but there's no way he averages 15 ppg.

Zeller is not a good post defender at all. I can see him scoring a little because he is skilled but the All-Star prediction is out there in my opinion. If any NBA GM thought that was possible, he'd be the second pick behind Davis.

Barnes may be the one guy who is a better pro than college player, but overall he was a pretty big disappointment in his time at Chapel Hill.

The '05, '08 and '09 UNC teams were all better than the '12 team.

Turn Off Ads?