Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 999

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

  1. #466
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    UK is simply not a very good basketball team right now. The offense did look much better when Harrow was in today, which is encouraging. They really need him to get back to 100% ASAP.

    Just have patience, guys, we won it all last year and will likely be the odds on favorite to win it next year if these final recruiting pieces turn out like I think they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #467
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    ... we won it all last year and will likely be the odds on favorite to win it next year if these final recruiting pieces turn out like I think they will.
    If Kentucky continues to struggle, the guys there now won't go pro. Noel will go, as he'll be a top five guy.

    But Goodwin? He's a 'tweener at this point.

    Because of effort issues, so is Poythress.

    Wiltjer has been exposed as a Steve Novak clone, complete with stopwatch defense.

    Cauley Stein needs another year.

    That will effect those final recruiting pieces.

    The Harrison guys will be there. So will Harrow and Lee. I don't see how Wiggins comes to Lexington if they've also got Goodwin.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  4. #468
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,131

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Any chance Calipari does some Spring "Creaning" to clear room for recruits?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #469
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Any chance Calipari does some Spring "Creaning" to clear room for recruits?
    LOL....had to chime in on that.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  6. #470
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,131

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    LOL....had to chime in on that.
    It's appararently a bad trait on Crean's part, running guys off the team because he's over recruited. I don't know how pervasive it is, but when he was at Marquette, the term gained traction because he'd do it just about every year.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  7. #471
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Any chance Calipari does some Spring "Creaning" to clear room for recruits?
    I can't imagine this will be an issue. UK can't have much more than seven true scholarship players. The rest are walk ons that have benefited from the roster turmoil to gain a scholarship. His issue will be convincing recruits that he'll play ten when he has always played with a short bench at Kentucky.

  8. #472
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I can't imagine this will be an issue. UK can't have much more than seven true scholarship players. The rest are walk ons that have benefited from the roster turmoil to gain a scholarship. His issue will be convincing recruits that he'll play ten when he has always played with a short bench at Kentucky.
    If anything, I could see having James Young, the Harrison twins, and possibly Wiggins presence pushing Goodwin and Poythress out the door. Twany Beckham and Uncle Julius are the only two seniors on this team and there are four coming, possibly six. Noel is the only one I see for certain that will be leaving from this years team.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #473
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Sometimes no matter what the recruit is rated, they just never show their talent at the college level. It is speculative at best and not an exact science. Cal has exhibited in the past that he can tranform that raw talent into a pretty dang good team. However, this team isn't looking good so far. I dont know what the exact answer is, but it does create questions concerning next year....if and if this group here and now doesnt find their stride. None of us have any idea what was said to them during their recruiting process, and what their expectations were and are. At this point in time I dont think there is a player in the bunch that would be an immediate impact player at the next level, or even be in the discussion for a lottery pick. Time will tell.........lots of b-ball left to be played.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  10. #474
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    I know Cal takes alot of pride in saying UK had x amount of players drafted in first round. However, the number isnt that important if the guys cant cut it in the NBA.
    They say it is the second contract you play for and sometimes player ride other people's coat tails as the saying goes.
    Orton clearly wasnt ready. Jones recently was sent to the D-league. Teague was rumored to (not sure if he was or not) and Lamb was seeing very limited action.
    If some of these kids arent going in the Top 10 or so, I wish they would rethink their leaving early. Yes as a UK fan, part of that is selfish , but it would certainly help their developement as well. If Lamb had returned for example, he would be running the point right now and that would be more than likely what gets him that second contract.
    As of right now, the only one I can see going this season is Noel but I hope guys like WCS and Goodwin dont leave early just to keep up the Kentucky tradition.
    Cal has had the experience in the past but last year's great team probably would never had happened (that particular team I mean) if it had not been for the NBA lockout situation. I doubt Jones and Lamb would have come back for a second year.
    I realize the rules are the rules till they change them but this is the first team that Cal has had where there has been no carryover guys Like PP, TJ, Lamb etc. Wiljter came back but he will not be mistaken for Jones anytime soon.
    I guess I am saying unless some of these Top recruits like Goodwin, WCS etc start coming back for a second year, this years no experience situation could become the rule rather than the exception.

  11. #475
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    It's great that we lose some games the year IU finds some success. I didn't rub it in when UK won the championship, don't see why it is necessary for people to flood facebook with IU wins / UK loses crap

  12. #476
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I know Cal takes alot of pride in saying UK had x amount of players drafted in first round. However, the number isnt that important if the guys cant cut it in the NBA.
    They say it is the second contract you play for and sometimes player ride other people's coat tails as the saying goes.
    Orton clearly wasnt ready. Jones recently was sent to the D-league. Teague was rumored to (not sure if he was or not) and Lamb was seeing very limited action.
    If some of these kids arent going in the Top 10 or so, I wish they would rethink their leaving early. Yes as a UK fan, part of that is selfish , but it would certainly help their developement as well. If Lamb had returned for example, he would be running the point right now and that would be more than likely what gets him that second contract.
    As of right now, the only one I can see going this season is Noel but I hope guys like WCS and Goodwin dont leave early just to keep up the Kentucky tradition.
    Cal has had the experience in the past but last year's great team probably would never had happened (that particular team I mean) if it had not been for the NBA lockout situation. I doubt Jones and Lamb would have come back for a second year.
    I realize the rules are the rules till they change them but this is the first team that Cal has had where there has been no carryover guys Like PP, TJ, Lamb etc. Wiljter came back but he will not be mistaken for Jones anytime soon.
    I guess I am saying unless some of these Top recruits like Goodwin, WCS etc start coming back for a second year, this years no experience situation could become the rule rather than the exception.
    Very well said. You cant put a price tag on experience, whether it be in the tournament or the regular season. All the guys on UK dont have to hang around but a few would be nice.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  13. #477
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    KABOOOM

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  14. #478
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Towns is a very good player who's not only smart, but lives in the gym. The reclassification may drop him on some lists, but his versatility will be a nightmare for other bigs.

    Really like his offensive game.

    The question is if he can stick with someone defensively. He seems to have slow feet.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  15. #479
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    4.3 GPA... Class President... Exactly the type of kid you want in your program... Oh yeah, and he ain't too bad at basketball either.

    The player I've heard him compared to most often is Dirk. Like Dirk, his D will probably need some work. However, keep in mind he still has 2 full years of development before we'll see him in college, I would expect his improvement trajectory to continue at a very high level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #480
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    UK wins tonight but hard to judge much off a win like this.
    However Baylor, who beat UK saturday , is losing at home by double figures late.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25