Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 999

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

  1. #796
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Marcus Smart
    Ben McLemore
    Glenn Robinson III
    Sam Dekker
    Yogi Ferrell
    Rasheed Sulalmon
    Gary Harris
    Anthony Bennett
    Nick Stauskus
    Mitch McGary

    Heck, Michigan is starting 3 Freshman right now and doing just fine.

    There are multiple freshman PGs that are having an impact this season.

    Face the facts. Mr 1 and Done struck out with this class. If you're going to give him a free pass on all of the potential negatives that come with having him in charge of your program, at least call it both ways and hold him accountable when it goes wrong.

    This season was a disappointment BEFORE Noel got injured. Call it like you see it.
    1987?

    Funny you bring up Gary Harris, the guy Crean cheated to try and get for Indiana.

    You trying to talk trash in this thread is not going to end well for you, FYI.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-09-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #797
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Marcus Smart
    Ben McLemore
    Glenn Robinson III
    Sam Dekker
    Yogi Ferrell
    Rasheed Sulalmon
    Gary Harris
    Anthony Bennett
    Nick Stauskus
    Mitch McGary

    Heck, Michigan is starting 3 Freshman right now and doing just fine.

    There are multiple freshman PGs that are having an impact this season.

    Face the facts. Mr 1 and Done struck out with this class. If you're going to give him a free pass on all of the potential negatives that come with having him in charge of your program, at least call it both ways and hold him accountable when it goes wrong.

    This season was a disappointment BEFORE Noel got injured. Call it like you see it.
    At least with Noel this team would likely be in the NCAA tournament. Guess we will never know.

    I'm also not saying Cal struck out either. Yes this season has been one I'd like to forget but this is also a bridge year. Weak out of conference schedule, no senior leadership, a weak bench, and losing your star player middle of the season. If Goodwin and/or Poythress do decide to come back and have to actually fight for playing time, that could be the motivation used to take their game up another level and then this class is worth it.

    I still stand by what I said in regards to this years recruiting class overall being weak, although I would take Marcus Smart and Ben McLemore (even though he's a redshirt). This is being called one of the weakest drafts coming up in NBA history and the majority of those players are going to be freshmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #798
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    I have said it countless times on here. Cal's potion up until this point has worked. But he did something a little different this year......he put a completely inexperienced team on the floor. We can talk about playing hard all we want but the fact of the matter UK just aint very good by UK fans' standards. I know the expectations are high, and the bar has been set, and failure is not an option. But geez, talking about this year's UK team and throwing in freshman across the landscape, and then adding the NBA draft in there just doesnt seem to add up to what has happened/or is happening at UK this year.

    I have marveled these years that Cal has been at the helm. But this is his chance to do his best coaching job ever. After what has transpired this year, what would all the UK fans think if the 'Cats got hot, found their way into the NCAA tourney, and managed a Sweet Sixteen appearance? It could happen, it aint like they are sub .500. What would you guys think about the season then? I know what I would say........Cal can coach. Everybody knows he can recruit.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  5. #799
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    This UK team is bad and I understand that everyone wants to get their shots in, I get that. People hate UK and they hate Cal. I'm sure if I wasn't a UK fan I wouldn't like either of them, just like I don't care much for our rivals.

    I know that I personally hadn't given up on this team before Noel went down. I actually thought things were starting to come together a little bit right when he hurt his knee. Would it have happened? We'll never know. I do think that a couple guys let Noel's injury contribute to lowering their own expectations, which is unacceptable.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-09-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  6. #800
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This UK team is bad and I understand that everyone wants to get their shots in, I get that. People hate UK and they hate Cal. I'm sure if I wasn't a UK fan I wouldn't like either of them, just like I don't care much for our rivals.

    I know that I personally hadn't given up on this team before Noel went down. I actually thought things were starting to come together a little bit right when he hurt his knee. Would it have happened? We'll never know. I do think that a couple guys let Noel's injury contribute to lowering their own expectations, which is unacceptable.
    Thank you! and well said.

    The season aint over yet and ya just never know. Hate and respect are two different words. I have always respected the Kentucky program, but root against them every chance I get. In my case, I do not try to 'dis UK, but when venom starts spewing I would like to think we are all grown men here...and even grown men lash out.

    UK has a totally revamped team from last year. In anybody's book (other than UK fans) it has been a fine season for them considering the changes. Good luck fellas the rest of the way out.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  7. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-09-2013), WMR (03-09-2013)

  8. #801
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Heckuva UF/UK game goingon right now.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  9. Likes:

    WMR (03-09-2013)

  10. #802
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This isn't only a UK thing but the only time I have really heard it brought up is by UK fans. Its true that a scholarship is renewed on a year in year out basis. IMO it would be bush league to pull a scholarship because a player didn't perform the way you wanted him to. I would imagine that if you pulled scholarships once that would alarm people, if you pulled a couple that would really turn people off.

    Guys like Harrow and Wiltjer may not have had a good season, but there are about 300 division one programs that would take those two. Heck as an OSU fan, even though I don't think Wiltjer is all that good, I would love for him to come off the bench and play 10-15 minutes for the Bucks. UK fans have been spoiled by Cal getting freshman to come in and play at a high level, that isn't exactly what happens all the time. Freshman by and large are frustrating and are awful at times, that is why generally they have 3 more years to develop.
    To actually answer your question Bucksfan, yes it is a one year scholarship, renewable at the school's discretion.
    However, you're probably correct that if a coach was openly pulling scholarships it would reflect badly on the program, which is why the coach and the player come to a "mutual" understanding that the player's best interests lie elsewhere. Generally, a player will decide to transfer and the coach will help him by contacting coaches at the universities he is interested in.

    I suppose it could backfire on a university if they are really adamant about pulling the scholarship from a player who really wanted to stay, but in the end if a university pulls a scholarship from a kid it has a little egg on its face and the kid is then left with no scholarship and is left searching for a new place to play anyway.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  11. #803
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Ok, it's nice to win this game but it honestly pisses me off quite a bit. If the effort put forth today was put forth in every other game this team would have several fewer losses. Very maddening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  12. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (03-09-2013), Revering4Blue (03-09-2013), TeamSelig (03-09-2013)

  13. #804
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Wow, talk about a 180 from the middle of the week. Impressive effort by the Cats, hold Florida scoreless for last 7 minutes.

    It's funny that you say that WMR. I was actually thinking the exact same thing, how maddening to see a team go from zero effort to 100 effort in two nights.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  14. Likes:

    WMR (03-09-2013)

  15. #805
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I have said it countless times on here. Cal's potion up until this point has worked. But he did something a little different this year......he put a completely inexperienced team on the floor. We can talk about playing hard all we want but the fact of the matter UK just aint very good by UK fans' standards. I know the expectations are high, and the bar has been set, and failure is not an option. But geez, talking about this year's UK team and throwing in freshman across the landscape, and then adding the NBA draft in there just doesnt seem to add up to what has happened/or is happening at UK this year.

    I have marveled these years that Cal has been at the helm. But this is his chance to do his best coaching job ever. After what has transpired this year, what would all the UK fans think if the 'Cats got hot, found their way into the NCAA tourney, and managed a Sweet Sixteen appearance? It could happen, it aint like they are sub .500. What would you guys think about the season then? I know what I would say........Cal can coach. Everybody knows he can recruit.
    If there is a soul out there who doesn't acknowledge the fact that Cal can, and has always proven that he can, coach - and I'm not at all suggesting that is what you meant, A.H - then that defies comprehension.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  16. Likes:

    WMR (03-09-2013)

  17. #806
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    If there is a soul out there who doesn't acknowledge the fact that Cal can, and has always proven that he can, coach - and I'm not at all suggesting that is what you meant, A.H - then that defies comprehension.
    No it doesnt defy anything at all. The haters all year have been laughing at UK and Cal. My post was directed at them. I know he can, I was just saying that when the chips are down, it can be your best moment.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  18. #807
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Ok, it's nice to win this game but it honestly pisses me off quite a bit. If the effort put forth today was put forth in every other game this team would have several fewer losses. Very maddening.
    They are freshmen!!!!!!!!! Geez, that is how they play. You need to rub some Al McGuire jelly on ya!!!!!!!!!!
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  19. #808
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    No it doesnt defy anything at all. The haters all year have been laughing at UK and Cal. My post was directed at them. I know he can, I was just saying that when the chips are down, it can be your best moment.
    Cal actually had a similar coaching job two years ago:

    Three young, inconsistent freshmen starters.

    Two role players from the team the previous year, one in the starting role, the other a sparkplug off the bench.

    One senior leader who came from out of nowhere.

    A team that didn't win a road game in conference play until the last game of the SEC season.

    All that team did was make it to the Final Four. I know that isn't going to happen this time around, but Cal did a marvelous coaching job with similar talent. I think the difference in that team was having a top PG in that class.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  20. Likes:

    WMR (03-09-2013)

  21. #809
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    No it doesnt defy anything at all. The haters all year have been laughing at UK and Cal. My post was directed at them. I know he can, I was just saying that when the chips are down, it can be your best moment.
    Oh, I understand fully what you meant. And, as I stated earlier, I wasn't at all implying that you (Assembly Hall) were a Cal coaching critic.

    I have to disagree with you about the use of the word "logic" here, though.

    See, certain folks loath UK and Cal to the point that they are using an emotional argument that Cal is simply a recruiter that cannot bench coach at all, instead of using logic, which simply doesn't suggest that Cal can't coach.

    Using a parallel, there were/are people that loathed Bob Knight the person so much that they refused to acknowledge the fact that, at the top of his game, B.K had few peers as a bench coach. Same with Coach K and Dean Smith, among others.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  22. Likes:

    WMR (03-09-2013)

  23. #810
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Cal actually had a similar coaching job two years ago:

    Three young, inconsistent freshmen starters.

    Two role players from the team the previous year, one in the starting role, the other a sparkplug off the bench.

    One senior leader who came from out of nowhere.

    A team that didn't win a road game in conference play until the last game of the SEC season.

    All that team did was make it to the Final Four. I know that isn't going to happen this time around, but Cal did a marvelous coaching job with similar talent. I think the difference in that team was having a top PG in that class.
    I think if there's one thing this season has taught us it's that a team reliant on one and dones MUST have good to great point guard play. Even further, Cal's system DEMANDS strong point guard play. Remember when at the beginning of the season on the All Access Cal asked his assistants if they needed to try and get Archie ready to play PG and they all answered emphatically YES. As we all know now, Archie cannot play PG. To put it mildly.

    If Marquis Teague hung around another season he would not only be a probable top 10 pick in this upcoming draft, we're looking at an entirely different season for UK.

    As we've said before, missing out on Shabazz and Anthony Bennett really hurt as well. Cal also tried to get Oriakhi and Lyons and failed.

    I would love for any of the freshmen or Harrow to come back. Harrow would be a great backup for Harrison next year. He couldn't transfer except to a non D1 school and I cannot imagine him getting drafted and I really don't see Harrow having the mental fortitude to go live in Europe by himself.

    Kyle Wiltjer has played some of the worst basketball I've ever witnessed out of a UK player the 2nd half of this season. His butt needs to live in the weight room this offseason. I can feel my blood pressure rise just watching him on the court.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  24. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-09-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25