Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    So in other words, it's Calipari's most recent recruiting class.
    I'd say the same could have been said about Davis, Gilchrist, and Teague or Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, and Orton.

Still, the top PG and SG recruits in the nation who happen to be twin brothers, a SG/SF who is a lefty with a sweet stroke, along with possibly another top 5 recruit who is a 6'9 lefty on the inside (Randle) who reminds me of Terrence Jones. Add in Andrew Wiggins, who is on the same level as Anthony Davis or Carmelo Anthony in terms of collegiate impact and I think it tops those classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

And don't forget Big Blue Madness is tomorrow night.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As a fan of Cincy pro sports, let me just reiterate, THANK GOD FOR UK BASKETBALL. Bengals and Reds are just annual disappointments, it seems.

Welcome to UK, James Young, BTW.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'd say the same could have been said about Davis, Gilchrist, and Teague or Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, and Orton.

Still, the top PG and SG recruits in the nation who happen to be twin brothers, a SG/SF who is a lefty with a sweet stroke, along with possibly another top 5 recruit who is a 6'9 lefty on the inside (Randle) who reminds me of Terrence Jones. Add in Andrew Wiggins, who is on the same level as Anthony Davis or Carmelo Anthony in terms of collegiate impact and I think it tops those classes.
    I'd argue last season's freshmen and the freshmen from 2010 both had better overall classes. So far. But if Randle signs, this one becomes the top. Same with Wiggins. (That said, I don't believe Wiggins will reclassify-- but I do believe Randle is UK-bound.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    And don't forget Big Blue Madness is tomorrow night.
    Can't wait. Got my tickets in hand now.

For now, time to head out to Tin Roof. Keeneland/BBM tomorrow and Two Keys tomorrow night. Gotta get the mind off the Redlegs.

ESPN's All Access with Kentucky Basketball debuts tonight on ESPN at 7:00pm

Marcus Lee is scheduled to announce his college choice this afternoon. Everyone expects it to be Kentucky.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Just need Randle and Wiggins and we can put a bow on this class.

So I ended up winning one of those final four floor pieces on auction... wasn't cheap but it is gonna look so good in my office.

http://www.charityauctionstoday.com/...tion_id=164814

Anyone want to give a player comparison or scouting report for next season?

SG Aaron Harrison (DE mock = 13th)
    PG Andrew Harrison (DE mock = 3rd)
    PF Marcus Lee
    SG James Young

Young is a deadeye shooter and can also slash... reminds me a bit of James Harden...

Marcus Lee is a Robert Dozier type. he's gonna be here 2-3 years.

Andrew reminds me of Deron Williams a bit except with a better body.

Aaron... hmmm... can't think of a comp right off the bat, he can do it all though. A very well rounded shooting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Anyone want to give a player comparison or scouting report for next season?

SG Aaron Harrison (DE mock = 13th)
    PG Andrew Harrison (DE mock = 3rd)
    PF Marcus Lee
    SG James Young
    Both Harrison and Young have deep range (25 feet). They're the two best shooters in the class. Harrison in particular is a bit streaky, but when he's on, he's nigh-unstoppable. Very quick, picture-perfect release from the top of the key and extended elbows. Young's best spots are the corners. He's a lefty with another quick release; his feet are set better than most college guys already. He shoots a bit like Tayshaun Prince, in that he's got a set shot style. It hasn't hurt him yet, but may make his susceptible to quick wings who can sky. (Then again, who isn't susceptible to those guys?) Some guys I've talked to have compared him to Milwaukee Buck Michael Redd. That would be pretty high praise, IMO. I'd probably lean to Xavier Henry as a comp.

Andrew Harrison handles well and is a pass-first PG. Plays really physical, tough defense. When he wants to. Motor is a problem for he and his brother. (And Young, fwiw.) Both brothers also tend to show poor body language when things aren't going their way. (Not a big deal, IMO-- they're HS kids. They all do that.) No emotion on the court. Stone faces. Both are tough as well. Andrew in particular can handle contact when he drives. Doesn't have the shot his brother does, but he's just as quick on the release. Wants the ball in his hands all the time. Especially with the game close. Does not often beat himself. PG Harrison has been compared to Deron Williams the most, but one old-timer I respect said he reminded him of Doc Rivers before the bad back. SG Harrison's most-often comp is also old school-- Joe Johnson.

Lee's ultra-athletic. Tall lanky-- can rebound okay, blocks shots very well. Very long arms. Unorthodox around the rim, has a couple nice moves, including a decent turnaround baby hook over his right shoulder that could be very good in time. Must learn to play big, get stronger in the post. Very good passer and ball handler for a big-- won't play any SF unless he finds range. Right now, he's 15 feet... maybe. He'll be interesting to watch. Might end up as a C/PF hybrid, especially if Cauley-Stein returns and Randle signs in the spring. Needs to get stronger in a bad way. Too, Lee should average 20 rebounds a night, but he doesn't do the little things-- blocking out, going after every loose ball, etc, that he will need to do at the next level.

Derek Willis, the forgotten member of the Kentucky class, isn't bad either. He's a multi-year guy, but has consistent range out to 18 now and isn't shy about shooting threes. He really needs to get stronger to live down low or quicker to live outside-- right now, he's a 'tweener. With work, might be a matchup nightmare similar to Wiltjer. But he'll have to shoot much, much better to get there. Could also get really big and live on the block. Athletically, he's not bad, but needs some time to develop. Might be a really solid bench guy in a couple years.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 10-18-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Hey Scrap, I saw a picture of Willis at Keeneland and he's bulked up considerably. Gained at least 15 lbs. since I saw him last, muscle.

He could be an important piece by his Junior year.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hey Scrap, I saw a picture of Willis at Keeneland and he's bulked up considerably. Gained at least 15 lbs. since I saw him last, muscle.

He could be an important piece by his Junior year.
    He needs to decide where he's going to play. His problem (if you want to call it that) is that he's played very little against great competition. Very few elite level summer games, due to injury and choice. As a result, all he is, at this point, is potential. A former HS coach I talked to said there were 30 guys just as good as he was in Louisville alone-- but that none of them were eligible and 6'9". I think both of those are really important.

He doesn't have a great first step, but he's solid with the ball. He takes a while to load up, but he's a PF/C in HS, so he has that time. He's not physical at all, but finishes fairly well through contact. He could go either way.

Is the Marcus Lee signing the end of the Julius Randle dream?

I've asked others and no one agrees with me, but I don't see how they'll play together. Especially with Young, both Harrisons, Cauley-Stein, and whomever doesn't go pro from this year's Kentucky team.

I also asked about Andrew Wiggins. Looks to be a long shot at this point (to reclassify), but stranger things have happened. Florida State signing his BFF won't hurt them at all, but Wiggins wants a ring AND the star power that goes with it. He understands that a "supporting role" at Kentucky can still garner a national POY award, while averaging 25/6/6 at FSU won't-- unless he can lead them to the Sweet 16 and a couple defeats of Duke and/or UNC.

Turn Off Ads?