Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not really.

It happens to be a great College B-Ball thread that encompasses not just UK and the SEC - not everybody pays attention to only conferences located in their backyard - but College B-Ball as a whole.

That stated, we can all obviously do without barbs and non-intelligent discussion.
    Does it upset you that the UK thread is more popular than the IU thread even in a season when UK sucks??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Does it upset you that the UK thread is more popular than the IU thread even in a season when UK sucks??
    It disturbs me greatly.

But I hope to someday, somehow pick up the pieces.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

part of BBN

Vitale made a statement the other night like " UK fans have to realize this team is good but not great !" (before NN injury)
    Here is the thing. Most UK fans knew this UK team wasnt going to be a dominant team as the season progressed. Some have mentioned maybe Sweet 16 while others say NIT.
    It just seems when UK fans say things like " we just arent very good this year" or "this team probably wont win over one game in the tourney", we labeled as sore losers or told we're griping because we want to win every year.
    No and I repeat No....we are just saying things every basketball fan says. We could go the UC or OSU thread and see the same type comments.
    A boss at my company is a huge U of L fan. He came in the other day talking up Pitino's best team ever and a couple of weeks later, he said "We stink !". He phrased it a little different though.
    So just because we are on this thread talking of how selfish Archie plays or where Poythress has been hiding all year, doesnt mean we think our team will be Great every year or win it all. Again...we are fans who talk about our team like every fan does only UK fans talk more most of the time.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-16-2013),WMR (02-18-2013)

Looks like the team is taking the second option. At least we'll have a game or two hopefully at Memorial.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I don't think Tennessee athletics has ever been lower but even at such a point, it's nice to see that they can still make my day. I know what colors I'll be wearing tonight.

Let's hear it for the Orange! Biggest win EVER over UK...

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Makes perfect sense actually, since more Reds fans are Kentucky fans than Indiana fans, and this is a Reds board. Just because the Bengals are talked more about here than say, the Colts, it means nothing. Same with UK/IU. To put it in baseball terms, this board is a small sample size. Both programs are very popular, UK has more of a national following and IU's fan base is mostly located in Central and Southern Indiana but they are both premier programs. Don't know why there has to be a pissing match. Let's just watch the games. As an Indiana fan I don't hate Kentucky, I have a lot of respect for what they've accomplished throughout history. Life's too short to be bitter about sports.

I realize I'm probably going to get some crap for this post but I don't care. It's just one man's opinion, worth what you are paying for it. I know I'm wired differently than most.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 02-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-16-2013)

part of BBN

I like Radio man Mike Pratt's comments close to the end of the game :
    "Well Tennessee has sure figured out Noel isnt in there". (shot 58% for game)
    They took it right at the Cats on the inside and after that first block or so by WCS, that was an ole fashioned butt whoopin'.
    Maybe just maybe somewhere Noel is thinking : " Thats okay guys. Next year, I will be back and join the basketball version of 'The Expendables' and make everyone pay for all the beatings you guys are gonna take between now and the end of the season ".
    Okay ....a guy can dream cant he ?

Dare I ask why such highly rated highschool players as poythres and Goodwin can not be coached up by Calipari?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Dare I ask why such highly rated highschool players as poythres and Goodwin can not be coached up by Calipari?
    It depends on the individual player. Wayne blackshear was highly rated for Louisville but has struggled while Dieng hasade great strides.

A better question is why is Goodwin projected as a lottery pick? He looks like a younger, less mature, Russ Smith to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    It depends on the individual player. Wayne blackshear was highly rated for Louisville but has struggled while Dieng hasade great strides.

A better question is why is Goodwin projected as a lottery pick? He looks like a younger, less mature, Russ Smith to me.
    I think I could lump both of these into one post:

I'll break it down into both players, but in a nutshell, these are kids who are used to dominating at a high school level. They could give little effort and turn in big performances and expect it to carry over to college.

Archie Goodwin: Quite possibly the most frustrating player I've ever seen in a UK uniform. He only knows one speed and to attack the basket, which opposing teams and the refs anticipate. When Archie attacks, I expect it to either be an offensive foul or turnover depending on the refs, and when they do bail him out with a foul, maybe make one of two free throws.

OTOH, I'd like to see Goodwin return to Lexington next season. A second season under Cal and an offseason to work on a jump shot could do wonders. Teams expect him to drive, but if he can reinvent himself and become a shooter, he would greatly improve his draft stock. (To answer that question directly, this draft is going to be terrible).

Alex Poythress: Poythress could physically be the most dominating player on the team when he wants to be. We saw it during the Duke game and again with the Auburn game earlier this year, but his problem is effort. If he gave 100% every game, he would be a Jamal Mashburn type player for Kentucky.

The other problem for Cal is depth, and by that I mean quality depth. Cal started Jarrod Polson today in an effort to send a message to Ryan Harrow. If Jon Hood and Jarrod Polson are getting minutes and Kentucky is becoming the laughingstock of the SEC, what kind of message is that sending?

I'd like to see both come back next year and have to fight with James Young and the Harrison twins for minutes. That being said, with the quality of this years draft, both will likely be gone, even if it's not in their best long term interest.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

On a side note, I really believe this season is over. I've been reading UK message boards with people criticizing Cal even a year after winning it all. Willie Cauley-Stein lashing out at fans on Twitter, Julius Mays desperately trying to take a leadership role.

This is Team Turmoil on steroids. I'm excited for what we have (and possibly could add) next year and hope we can build on this season. It's just pathetic watching people lashing out at a coach who has made Kentucky fun to watch again. I'll even admit I thought this team would be a Sweet 16 team, just not Sweet 16 in the NIT.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

It's just pathetic watching people lashing out at a coach who has made Kentucky fun to watch again.
    That's quite lame. Every fanbase has their share of idiots though.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    That's quite lame. Every fanbase has their share of idiots though.

No they don't. Ask WMR, he'll tell you. Those "UK fans" lashing out at Cal are just IU and UL fans posing as UK fans. No one dumb ever rooted for UK in the history of ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

part of BBN

I seen where Cal had a surprise visitor today while watching film, Anthony Davis.
    My mind immediately began to think how funny it would have been had Cal been telling the team "Nerlens Noel or Anthony Davis ain't walking thru that door" and then Davis walked in.
    Okay this is the type of season where we really have to use our sense of humour.

What is wrong with us? Are we just missing a good leader?

Turn Off Ads?