Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Well spoken !
    Yeah, it's amazing how Jekyll and Hyde they are. Not to mention, we had Doug Shows.

Not blaming the reffing, this team is soft as 4 ply toilet paper.

Really interested to see who ends up sticking around another year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Well spoken !
    Yeah, it's amazing how Jekyll and Hyde they are. Not to mention, we had Doug Shows.

Not blaming the reffing, this team is soft as 4 ply toilet paper.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kentucky hasn't played all that well on the road at all, have they?
    Nope !

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

My guess is
    Poythress=Gone
    Goodwin=Gone
    Harrow=transfer
    Wiltjer/Polsen return

Noel= I say gone but it wouldnt shock me if he came back.

This team is turrible.

Goodwin at least made sure to get his.

This is the most unlikeable UK team I can remember.

Oh well hopefully they can win a few games in the NIT, I doubt it though.

Can you imagine the meltdown if we weren't coming off a championship?

Geez. I don't even want to think about it.

Cal would be in a lot of trouble if he hadn't have won last season. There would be lots of clamoring over how he should change his recruiting of one and dones and all of that. It would be ugly to say the least.
    I just hope Cal culls the ones who don't give the effort needed. These scholarships are just for one year and if a player can't at least give good effort he should be let go. Poythress is front and center. Cal shouldn't even consider letting him come back next year. Harrow just can't play at this high of a level. He could be a good low mid major player or NAIA but not bigtime college basketball. He should move on. Wiltjer probably should too. Not much has been said about him but he doesn't always give good effort when he's in there. He would be better with better players around him like last season was. But it may be time for him to transfer and find a place better suited for him.
    Goodwin at least gives good effort. Just doesn't have much basketball smarts. I have seen some improvement from him. If he's willing play a backup role next season then I would be OK with him coming back. I hope WCS comes back. He could be a beast of a player with another year of experience and an off season getting stronger. I doubt Noel comes back. The last I saw, he was still projected in the top five of the NBA draft and he can't pass that up.
    I hope next years crop of freshman at least play harder and give full effort in games. If they do that it will make the season enjoyable anyway. But after this season I"m taking a wait and see approach.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I just hope Cal culls the ones who don't give the effort needed. These scholarships are just for one year and if a player can't at least give good effort he should be let go. Poythress is front and center. Cal shouldn't even consider letting him come back next year. Harrow just can't play at this high of a level. He could be a good low mid major player or NAIA but not bigtime college basketball. He should move on. Wiltjer probably should too. Not much has been said about him but he doesn't always give good effort when he's in there. He would be better with better players around him like last season was. But it may be time for him to transfer and find a place better suited for him.
    This isn't only a UK thing but the only time I have really heard it brought up is by UK fans. Its true that a scholarship is renewed on a year in year out basis. IMO it would be bush league to pull a scholarship because a player didn't perform the way you wanted him to. I would imagine that if you pulled scholarships once that would alarm people, if you pulled a couple that would really turn people off.

Guys like Harrow and Wiltjer may not have had a good season, but there are about 300 division one programs that would take those two. Heck as an OSU fan, even though I don't think Wiltjer is all that good, I would love for him to come off the bench and play 10-15 minutes for the Bucks. UK fans have been spoiled by Cal getting freshman to come in and play at a high level, that isn't exactly what happens all the time. Freshman by and large are frustrating and are awful at times, that is why generally they have 3 more years to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This isn't only a UK thing but the only time I have really heard it brought up is by UK fans. Its true that a scholarship is renewed on a year in year out basis. IMO it would be bush league to pull a scholarship because a player didn't perform the way you wanted him to. I would imagine that if you pulled scholarships once that would alarm people, if you pulled a couple that would really turn people off.

Guys like Harrow and Wiltjer may not have had a good season, but there are about 300 division one programs that would take those two. Heck as an OSU fan, even though I don't think Wiltjer is all that good, I would love for him to come off the bench and play 10-15 minutes for the Bucks. UK fans have been spoiled by Cal getting freshman to come in and play at a high level, that isn't exactly what happens all the time. Freshman by and large are frustrating and are awful at times, that is why generally they have 3 more years to develop.
    Your first sentence is very ignorant...

You must not follow CBB or CBB message boards very closely.

If you want to see a program that actually does pull schollies from players before they have exhausted their eligibility, check out ULs recent history in this arena.

Also, aren't you primarily a college football fan? You can't find a team in the top 25 that doesn't do the same thing every season for players that underperform. Even Saint Urban does it.

Painting it as only UK fans is pretty damn dumb, no offense.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-08-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I'm talking about effort of giving 100% all the time. Its quite obvious UK has two or three of those type that don't give 100% effort. If you can't give full effort you don't deserve a scholarship. I'm not talking about if player has less talent and he's giving everything he has to improve and to try to get better. No, those scholarships shouldn't be pulled. If OSU or anyone else wants Poythress,Harrow or maybe even Wiltjer they can have them. Its would their problem(s) now to get them to give 100 %. I really doubt they are going to change no matter where they go.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

WMR (03-08-2013)

Your first sentence is very ignorant...

You must not follow CBB or CBB message boards very closely.

If you want to see a program that actually does pull schollies from players before they have exhausted their eligibility, check out ULs recent history in this arena.

Also, aren't you primarily a college football fan? You can't find a team in the top 25 that doesn't do the same thing every season for players that underperform. Even Saint Urban does it.

Painting it as only UK fans is pretty damn dumb, no offense.
    Did you read my first sentence. It wasn't meant to be arrogant rather who I have heard bringing it up.

I don't follow CBB message boards. I follow OSU basketball and to a lesser extent UC. I don't really have much interest following CBB message boards.

Of the teams I follow the only scholarship that I can remember being pulled was Crowell and I had heard that was a verbal agreement between him and Cronin. Quite frankly I don't really follow recruiting all that much. To me there is something wrong with the amount of attention and kissing up to eighteen year olds.

If you want to call my statement ignorant because I don't follow any CBB message boards that is awful petty of you.

I don't think Harrow can transfer to another D1 school without losing a year of eligibility. I don't know how it would change if UK rescinded his scholarship. It could turn into a PR and negative recruiting nightmare if he was recruited to UK after leaving NC St and then shown the door after 1 mediocre season. They'd be much better off letting him sit the bench (T. Beckham) than cutting him loose. Unless he just wants to go on his own accord.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't think Harrow can transfer to another D1 school without losing a year of eligibility. I don't know how it would change if UK rescinded his scholarship. It could turn into a PR and negative recruiting nightmare if he was recruited to UK after leaving NC St and then shown the door after 1 mediocre season. They'd be much better off letting him sit the bench (T. Beckham) than cutting him loose. Unless he just wants to go on his own accord.
    Harrow is going to be pushed to the bench regardless, especially with Andrew Harrison coming in next year.

This is one of the weakest overall classes I can remember though. Outside of Shabazz and Noel, there really wasn't the impact freshmen in this years class. Should speak volumes when Cal decided Ryan Harrow, who wasn't a fit in any way for his system, was a better option than any of the incoming PG's.

Poythress, Goodwin, and WCS are true freshmen. They have AAU experience, but are used to dominating on the high school circuit. Players like Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (St Patricks) are more likely to come in and make an impact than someone who went to a true high school.

Poythress and Goodwin both could stand to benefit from another year, but I think they will take the easy way out and go pro instead of coming back and fighting for playing time in a loaded recruiting class. Wiltjer though I think is a spark plug off the bench and nothing more. Asking him to transfer though is a bit much IMO, especially when he could be a valuable asset next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

This is one of the weakest overall classes I can remember though. Outside of Shabazz and Noel, there really wasn't the impact freshmen in this years class. Should speak volumes when Cal decided Ryan Harrow, who wasn't a fit in any way for his system, was a better option than any of the incoming PG's.
    Marcus Smart
    Ben McLemore
    Glenn Robinson III
    Sam Dekker
    Yogi Ferrell
    Rasheed Sulalmon
    Gary Harris
    Anthony Bennett
    Nick Stauskus
    Mitch McGary

Heck, Michigan is starting 3 Freshman right now and doing just fine.

There are multiple freshman PGs that are having an impact this season.

Face the facts. Mr 1 and Done struck out with this class. If you're going to give him a free pass on all of the potential negatives that come with having him in charge of your program, at least call it both ways and hold him accountable when it goes wrong.

This season was a disappointment BEFORE Noel got injured. Call it like you see it.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?