Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trouble with the mail carrier...

Trouble with the mail carrier...

On Friday afternoon, our mail carrier left a note in our box stating, "I need 20 feet of clearance on each side of your mailbox."

I know he was refering to my vehicle which I park in the road in front of our house. I pull it as far up from the mailbox as I can and still keep it in front of our property. Since we have a pie shaped lot on a cul de sac, I can only get the vehicle about 10 feet away from the mailbox.

Here is what I don't get. We went through something similar 11 years ago when our household first went to more drivers than our driveway could hold. At that time, we were told by one source that the driver could not back up, and I needed to park a far forward as possible.

Since then, I have parked in the road whenever we have had a son or daughter living at home. That has been the last 11 years and the various mail carriers we have had have not complained. So now we have a complainer.

Has anyone had a similar situation or have any ideas how to deal with this problem?
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trouble with the mail carrier...

My only problem... and I live in the country, so my box is on a post across the street from my house... is that our mail carrier keeps hitting the post and knocking it down with her vehicle trying to get as close as possible I guess. That, and she keeps giving me other people's mail. I though about putting the post in cement, but I was told that is against the law because it has to be able to "break away" easily if hit, or else it risks injury to the driver.

But other then that I have no problems. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have parked to close to my mail box before. Didn't get a note, but one of those pre-printed "we need more room" postcard like things. It has been a while, but I thought it said 12 feet on mine. Unless he is driving some strange sized mail truck, s/he doesn't need 20 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have parked to close to my mail box before. Didn't get a note, but one of those pre-printed "we need more room" postcard like things. It has been a while, but I thought it said 12 feet on mine. Unless he is driving some strange sized mail truck, s/he doesn't need 20 feet.
    It is the regular box-shaped delivery truck, and I am parked 10.5 feet from the mailbox like I have for the last 11 years. I have watched and this new guy can easily pull up to the box and deliver the mail. After that, he has to turn the wheel pretty sharply, but he can turn back onto the road without backing up.

When I called the post office after receiving the note, the lady who answered seemed pretty surprised. She said she would talk to the driver and get back with me. I haven't heard anything yet, but the mail carrier did deliver on Saturday with my truck in its usual spot.

I don't get the 20 feet. I don't understand why this is suddenly a problem. I can't find a distance regulation posted anywhere. Does anyone know the rule or law? It is the United States Postal System so the rules should be uniform, at least I'd think they would.
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

They call me "chef"

Sounds like your mail man is a by the book guy or for whatever reason wants to exercise his right to request you follow that rule. A good mail man is an invisible mail man. If you have one, be thankful!

I have started parking my vehicle across the street while that neighbor is out of town. I don't want to appear to be an uncooperative recipient of services, but I am not satisfied with the guy's attitude after eleven years. I guess I will have to go to moving my vehicle around from street to road when my neighbor returns.

You may want to try talking to the guy. See what his beef is and see if there is some common ground.

I always try to stay on good terms with my mail carrier, trash guy, school bus driver, etc etc. Always give them little xmas gifts., shovel snow away from the mailbox, stack my trash, etc
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20' on each side seems excessive. Doing the math in my head, that adds up to 40'.

I do like Roy so I understand he needs room but not 40 ft.

As to Roy's post, I'm amazed that more of my neighbors don't clear the snow from around the mailbox. It's really quite rare. I know it's a job but I consider it a good workout

Thanks for the responses. I have been watching for the guy to talk but haven't caught him yet. In the mean time, the family will just have to pull cars in and out of the driveway to let each other out.

Turn Off Ads?