Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 5/13/12 - Reds vs Nationals

Re: 5/13/12 - Reds vs Nationals

Wonder what Harper was thinking as he watched Votto's day today?

I wonder if we'll see a Votto performance like this one in October?

Today is why we watch sports.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

If I counted right that is 10 out of 11 "last game of the series" that the Reds have won this year. The only outlier being the Marshall game.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Wonder what Harper was thinking as he watched Votto's day today?
    He was probably thinking...

"Bryce Harper, superstud. Bruce Harper, God's gift to the world. Bryce Harper, world's coolest athlete. Bruce Harper, man, Bryce Harper is really good looking. Bryce Harper, what an amazing - hey why are the Reds celebrating?"
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Something of note: he was choked up on the bat a good inch and a half. He wasn't sure when he hit it.
    His little skip looked pretty sure lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I know a lot of people hate the word "clutch," but Votto was clutch today. And clutch a lot as a Red for that matter.

The improbable circumstances today made this such an interesting yet entertaining game to watch. The Reds needed this win badly too.

Stubbs said Joey was close to hitting 5 HRs today. Thinking back there was a deep warning track fly ball out, and the double was a screamer that just needed more height. He was probably less than 10 feet from a 5 HR game.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Hamilton who? We gotta us a Joey!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The lead to this morning's Washington Post story:

Everything was a mess Sunday night for Henry Rodriguez. His nerves, the slop at his feet, the loaded bases behind him — all of it, in every way, an utter, complete mess, made worse by the man knocking the weighted donut off his bat in the on-deck circle. Walking to the plate with two outs in the ninth inning, already with two home runs and now carrying a chance to end the Washington Nationals’ long, wet and miserable day in the most gut-wrenching fashion, was Joey Votto.

“Cross your fingers there,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “It doesn’t matter who’s on the mound.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...TNU_story.html
    Last edited by redsmetz; 05-14-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    His little skip looked pretty sure lol
    See, I don't see it that way at all. To me, it looks like he's wincing because he's not sure he got all of it. He was also talking to the ball on its way out. If it were a no doubter, he would have been much more stoic, IMO.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

It took them a while, but here's Marty's call on it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...14697&c_id=mlb

~edit~ Ah, I see Oester found it. Oh well. Nice call regardless.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-14-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He was probably thinking...

"Bryce Harper, superstud. Bruce Harper, God's gift to the world. Bryce Harper, world's coolest athlete. Bruce Harper, man, Bryce Harper is really good looking. Bryce Harper, what an amazing - hey why are the Reds celebrating?"
    LOL. That was great.

We're seeing a hitter who may end up the best offensive player in Reds history. That last swing was so much like Barry Bonds -- super short and super powerful.

Somehow this team has to find one more big bat. Then we could really have something.

Joey Votto earned a small chunk of that contract yesterday. Great performance by him. He was very close to a 5 home run day. But I'll take three anytime. I hadn't thought about this but the Nats announcers said by the time Votto's contract is up he will hold most of the Reds offensive records. I think that is pretty much spot on.
    Also I hope the Reds take the momentum from this win and turn it into a really good run. The NL Central is out there for the taking.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

According to Joel Luckhaupt's Twitter feed, this is the 5th time the Reds have had a walk-off Grand Slam. The other four were from Ed Bailey, Frank Robinson, Don Pavletich, & Adam Dunn (previously mentioned). That might have been the pinnacle of Pavletich's career!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The lead to this morning's Washington Post story:

Everything was a mess Sunday night for Henry Rodriguez. His nerves, the slop at his feet, the loaded bases behind him — all of it, in every way, an utter, complete mess, made worse by the man knocking the weighted donut off his bat in the on-deck circle. Walking to the plate with two outs in the ninth inning, already with two home runs and now carrying a chance to end the Washington Nationals’ long, wet and miserable day in the most gut-wrenching fashion, was Joey Votto.

“Cross your fingers there,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “It doesn’t matter who’s on the mound.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...TNU_story.html
    28,361 at Great American Ball Park.
    I add this because its funny to put that attendance number without qualifying that there were probably about 361 of those left at game's end.

With that said, now that's a game story. Good sportswriting right there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?