Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 current technologies a child born today will never use

Re: 15 current technologies a child born today will never use

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Fax machines are so stupid. It's always a handy tipoff that I'm dealing with an archaic organization if someone wants me to fax them something.
    I rarely, if ever, use a fax. I scan the document and send it in e-mail. Fax's are nearly extinct even in the Federal Government.
    As long as boys and girls and men and women want to date there will be movie theaters. It's kind of hard to sneak in that long kiss sitting in your parents den watching a movie on TV or the computer.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    As long as boys and girls and men and women want to date there will be movie theaters. It's kind of hard to sneak in that long kiss sitting in your parents den watching a movie on TV or the computer.
    It goes beyond just that, there is an experience you get in a theatre that is very difficult to replicate at home for the average american. From the screen size, to the sound system, the smell of the popcorn to the social setting of watching something in a group of people, all will contribute to the continuation of theaters for a long, long time.

Now, sure, they'll be cut back as more people will take advantage of watching movies at home, in their home theater, perhaps even as early as the original theater release date but its extremely costly to get a similar setup, even if scaled down for most americans. Think of movies like Avatar, a complete visual orgy that is best viewed in the theater. Frankly, the story line was unoriginal, predictable and cliche`, but the visual aspect of being immersed in an imax theater was unbelievable. You may get 3D at home, but you won't be getting it on the scale that you can get in a large theater.

You can buy microwave popcorn which is quite tastey, you can buy an air popper if you're like my wife and that is your preference, but getting popcorn like you get at a theater is unpracticle for most americans, and at least to my taste buds is significantly better than anything I've made at home.

You may be able to squeeze 10 people or so into a family room or viewing room in a house, but you'll never be able to replicate that feeling of having 300+ people all scream or wince or shout out in excitement at the same time. Ever been to a movie so good the whole theater clapped at the end? Good luck getting that experience at home. I specifically remember seeing Titanic in the theater on the day it came out. One of my roommates in college was always fascinated with the story of the titanic, it was the day after exams ended, so we hit the theater. As strange as it sounds, for a movie so big, there really wasn't a ton of buzz leading up to the movie about the movie itself. Most of the buzz centered on the Cameron's huge budget and the length of the movie, few were convinced it was going to be as commercially successful as it was, there were few people saying "this is a must see movie" As such, we went in with little expectation, and were visually blown away. What I remember most of all though, was the look on everyone's face, all 200+ (it wasn't sold out despite being opening night) people as we left the theater; we'd all just been taken on an emotional rollercoaster and were left speechless. You can't get that same feeling at home, that type of social interaction amongst complete strangers just can't happen in your basement.

On top of all of that, movie theaters are places of innovasion for movies. From the sound systems, to screen size, seating setup, so many things work better originally when they can be implemented on a large scale, the figured out how to scale them down and make them work in a home. 3D is all the rage now as they've figured out how to make 3D work better than the 3D stuff you saw in the 70s/80s. How long will it take for movies to implement 4D technology? Put misters into the ceiling to replicate fog in a particular scene? Pump in the smells of a swamp as a killer is lurking the dark waiting for his victim to pass? Put buzzers and pointers in your seats to make you jump just as bugs are crawling across the screen? Things like that, and much more I can't think of currently exist in special settings like Disney, but it can't be long before they're worked into some theaters for movies the way that every new theater has 3D capability today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, you can call most numbers in the 513 area code without dialing 513. Interestingly enough, you have to dial 1 before you call someone in the 937 area code but you don't have to do that calling 859 (NKY).

That's interesting about the dial tone and busy signal but thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.
    That is correct, but I don't have to include the area code when calling Cincinnati on my cell phone either

aside from that, the fax is a dying instrument. They have copiers that can scan multiple pages and email them anywhere that you'd like. I don't have to even sign my taxes anymore, I can digitally sign them and hit "send". More and more building departments allow you to submit plans with a digitial engineer/architect stamp rather than submitting multiple sets of drawings each stamped by the architect/engineer of record. I can apply for a loan and never set foot inside a lending institution, there are so many things that used to require a "wet" signiture that now allow you to do so electronically that even that excuse will soon be a thing of the past.

One thing he didn't mention, though doesn't apply to his children, but will eventually be a thing of the past is cash. Well, there will always be some form of currency, but practically speaking, how many people carry cash around with them? I'm one of those people that always likes to have a little cash, just because, but it wouldn't be all that difficult to go the rest of the year and never touch cash. B/w direct deposit, on line bill pay, debit/credit cards, paypal and checks, there rarely is a need for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    There will still be movie theaters. Going to the movies is now more about the common experience or just getting out of the house for an evening which direct-to-TV-release cannot provide.
    Yea, I laugh every time someone predicts movie theaters will die.
    You have bored teenagers with money that want to get out of the house and don't have much else to do.. Teens have always watched the majority of movies. Middle aged guys (like the author probably is) don't watch many movies and forget about the teens.

Our family goes to movies occasionally just to get out of the house and do something different. Seeing "Thor" on a TV set just isn't the same, unless you are in a million dollar home theater room (and that's not going to be cheap in 20 years).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Man, I hope movie theaters never go away. The experience at home just doesn't cut it for me. The biggest problem with theaters now is we're so tethered to our phones that you can't sit through a two-hour flick without seeing little lights pop up out of laps all around the room. That's a serious pet peeve of mine.
    That bothers you? I see it happen around me occasionally but I can't honestly say that it takes away from my experience, unless of course they're talking. But someone next to me or in front of me texting doesn't bother me at all. I'll text during the previews but not after the movie starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That bothers you? I see it happen around me occasionally but I can't honestly say that it takes away from my experience, unless of course they're talking. But someone next to me or in front of me texting doesn't bother me at all. I'll text during the previews but not after the movie starts.

Yes, yes it does, very much so, and a lot of other people.

Think about, dark room, big picture grabbing your attention, then out of the corner of your eye you see someone's light come on from their cell phone as they send/read a text. Very, very annoying. And that's just the tip of the iceburg. People putting their feet up on the chair next to you, as if I want to smell you stinky feet, people talking on cell phones, people bringing babies into the theater (yes I've heard a baby cry at two different movies, both movies clearly directed at adults, not infants, yet along a baby under 1 year old), people constantly talking thru the movie about every little detail (someone at Dragoon Tattoo commented about how much lisbeth enjoyed McDonald's since it appeared two different times in the movie, amongst everything else), people holding conversation that have nothing to do w/ the movie, people snoring during a movie, and nobody in that group having the decency to elbow the snorer in the side and tell him to stop, and I could go on.

The price of a movie doesn't bother me nearly as much as the general rudeness exibited everytime I see a movie. The checking of one's cell phone happens everytime I see a movie, while the other ones are obviously hit or miss. If a text message is so important that you have to check your phone 4-5 times during a movie, then frankly you shouldn't be at the movie in the first place.

Medford's simple rules to enjoying a movie while not bothering others:
    1) show up on time, not 5 minutes into a movie (which is well passed the listed time given the amount of previews)
    2) turn your cell phone off and keep it off and in your pocket. If you need to communicate with the outside world so bad, skip the movie for those of us that want to escape the outside world for 2 hours.
    3) limit chater during the movie to questions about the plot line and "where have I seen that actor before?", limit questions to 4-5 tops. If you have to ask more questions than that, you're either not paying attention or the movie of your choosing is outside of your intelligence range.
    4) keep your feet off the seat in front of you unless there is nobody sitting both directly in front of you and several seats to the right and left of the seat directly in front of you. Yes you rocking the seat constantly two chairs down from me bugs me.
    5) keep at least 1 seat, preferrably more b/w you and any stanger in the theater unless the theater is filling up at which point you'll have no choice.
    6) if the theater is half full, please don't take the seat directly in front of someone, no body wants to look over your head unless, just like they don't want to share your armrest if the movie is half filled.
    7) if you fall asleep/pass out during a movie and start snoring, expect an elbow to the side if your in my group. If someone in your group starts snoring, do likewise.
    8) Not everyone cares about the differences b/w the movie and the book, we don't need to know every little thing they've changed.
    9) If nature calls, by all means answer, but do so quietly and only once. If nature calls more than once, call a doctor.
    10) Did I mention to keep your cell phone's off and in your pocket? Oh I did, then I'll take a pre-emptive strike and say keep your tablet off as well since I know its only a matter of time until I see that.

Is that so hard to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That is correct, but I don't have to include the area code when calling Cincinnati on my cell phone either
    On a related note, I have not dialed a number in a long long time. If it's a number I don't know, I look it up on my phone and click the link to dial. Or if someone is trying to give me a number, I have them text it to me so I can save it that way.

In fact, the only three numbers that I truly KNOW are mine, my wife's and my mom's and that's because we're all on the same plan and got 3 sequential numbers.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe you haven't heard, or just skimmed things, but movie companies are starting to release brand new movies, that are in theaters, to PPV while they are still in theaters.
    Correct. And it doesn't seem to have affected box office receipts at all, which is my point.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    On a related note, I have not dialed a number in a long long time. If it's a number I don't know, I look it up on my phone and click the link to dial. Or if someone is trying to give me a number, I have them text it to me so I can save it that way.

In fact, the only three numbers that I truly KNOW are mine, my wife's and my mom's and that's because we're all on the same plan and got 3 sequential numbers.
    I know everybody's numbers because for years I didn't know how to program my phone (I also have a bit of a freakish memory for numbers). Honest to god, sitting here, I know two Redszone board members' numbers by heart, and I have not lived in Cincinnati for years and called them maybe twice ever.

Completely freaks out one of my best friends, who believes I will end up in the hospital unconscious and they won't know what to do because I have no listing for "Mom" in my phone. I think NOT knowing people's numbers is scary, because what if something happens to your phone?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I love movie theaters and I hope they never go away.

I didn't realize till this thread that my cell phone didn't have a dial tone. Duh.

I'm like VP and remember phone numbers and dial them.

I guess turntables aren't even worth a mention any more.

I guess I'm anal, but I like for shows to start on the hour or the half hour. Otherwise, the world is total anarchy and rootless.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Movie theaters won't vanish, the bigger the screen the better the visual

But I'm a film school dude who spent more tha half my life without the Internet existing

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Yes, yes it does, very much so, and a lot of other people.

Think about, dark room, big picture grabbing your attention, then out of the corner of your eye you see someone's light come on from their cell phone as they send/read a text. Very, very annoying. And that's just the tip of the iceburg. People putting their feet up on the chair next to you, as if I want to smell you stinky feet, people talking on cell phones, people bringing babies into the theater (yes I've heard a baby cry at two different movies, both movies clearly directed at adults, not infants, yet along a baby under 1 year old), people constantly talking thru the movie about every little detail (someone at Dragoon Tattoo commented about how much lisbeth enjoyed McDonald's since it appeared two different times in the movie, amongst everything else), people holding conversation that have nothing to do w/ the movie, people snoring during a movie, and nobody in that group having the decency to elbow the snorer in the side and tell him to stop, and I could go on.

The price of a movie doesn't bother me nearly as much as the general rudeness exibited everytime I see a movie. The checking of one's cell phone happens everytime I see a movie, while the other ones are obviously hit or miss. If a text message is so important that you have to check your phone 4-5 times during a movie, then frankly you shouldn't be at the movie in the first place.

Medford's simple rules to enjoying a movie while not bothering others:
    1) show up on time, not 5 minutes into a movie (which is well passed the listed time given the amount of previews)
    2) turn your cell phone off and keep it off and in your pocket. If you need to communicate with the outside world so bad, skip the movie for those of us that want to escape the outside world for 2 hours.
    3) limit chater during the movie to questions about the plot line and "where have I seen that actor before?", limit questions to 4-5 tops. If you have to ask more questions than that, you're either not paying attention or the movie of your choosing is outside of your intelligence range.
    4) keep your feet off the seat in front of you unless there is nobody sitting both directly in front of you and several seats to the right and left of the seat directly in front of you. Yes you rocking the seat constantly two chairs down from me bugs me.
    5) keep at least 1 seat, preferrably more b/w you and any stanger in the theater unless the theater is filling up at which point you'll have no choice.
    6) if the theater is half full, please don't take the seat directly in front of someone, no body wants to look over your head unless, just like they don't want to share your armrest if the movie is half filled.
    7) if you fall asleep/pass out during a movie and start snoring, expect an elbow to the side if your in my group. If someone in your group starts snoring, do likewise.
    8) Not everyone cares about the differences b/w the movie and the book, we don't need to know every little thing they've changed.
    9) If nature calls, by all means answer, but do so quietly and only once. If nature calls more than once, call a doctor.
    10) Did I mention to keep your cell phone's off and in your pocket? Oh I did, then I'll take a pre-emptive strike and say keep your tablet off as well since I know its only a matter of time until I see that.

Is that so hard to follow?
    If stuff bothers you that much maybe you should stay home. Like I said I see people look at their phones all the time in movies, I don't see the big deal. Maybe I'm just too laid back. I can think of one time in my entire life where someone else ruined my time at a movie and that was when an argument broke out between some punk kid and an old man.

dup
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 05-17-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I guess turntables aren't even worth a mention any more.
    Turntables are on the way back, freaking hipsters.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?