Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15 current technologies a child born today will never use

Re: 15 current technologies a child born today will never use

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Turntables are on the way back, freaking hipsters.
    I received a nice USB-compatible turntable for Christmas actually. Bit of an anachronism eh?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    La Dolce Vita

exactly. back in april on "record store day", we went to a couple of local shops that were doing a thriving business in lps and had all sorts of turntables and record players for sale...the shops were packed with patrons gobbling up new and used lps.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If stuff bothers you that much maybe you should stay home. Like I said I see people look at their phones all the time in movies, I don't see the big deal. Maybe I'm just too laid back. I can think of one time in my entire life where someone else ruined my time at a movie and that was when an argument broke out between some punk kid and an old man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well I do. Young kids aside that keep me from the movies as much as I'd like, I'd probably go 1x a month if everyone used simple manners, as is, I go once or twice a year, tops.

I don't feel like I listed anything that isn't a simple common courtisy. So people having cell phones on doesn't bug you, but obviously there are enough complaints because the last movie I was at, they gave the pre-movie speel about keeping your cell phones off and how the bright lighted screen is distracting. I'd love to see them actually start enforcing that and removing people from the theater for texting during the movie multiple times.

Maybe I'm just becoming a crochety old man, but I think you'd be a little annoyed if I brought a flashlight with me and turned it on for 10 seconds every 15 minutes or so during a 2 hour flick. That is essentially what bringing up your cell phone to text someone does almost everytime I see a movie the last 2-3 years.
    Last edited by medford; 05-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Cruisin' for trouble

The movie theater recently built in this area has an upstairs 21 and over VIP section that includes a limited menu restaurant, a very nice full bar, a couple of pool tables and free wi-fi. The assigned seating (which I can reserve via iPad) features oversized love seats with plenty of room for a cold beer/mixed drink and appetizers (nachos, wings, etc.). Oh, and the screen is 70'.

Of course, this does cost between $13-$17 dollars, but the wife and I find the experience to be well worth the cost.

On another note, even though it's not considered "tech", I fully expect paper checks and billing to disappear in the next ten years. I believe the last time I wrote a check was before 2000.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    The movie theater recently built in this area has an upstairs 21 and over VIP section that includes a limited menu restaurant, a very nice full bar, a couple of pool tables and free wi-fi. The assigned seating (which I can reserve via iPad) features oversized love seats with plenty of room for a cold beer/mixed drink and appetizers (nachos, wings, etc.). Oh, and the screen is 70'.

Of course, this does cost between $13-$17 dollars, but the wife and I find the experience to be well worth the cost.

On another note, even though it's not considered "tech", I fully expect paper checks and billing to disappear in the next ten years. I believe the last time I wrote a check was before 2000.
    All of that goes on while the movie is playing? Or is it for after the movie?

I do like the idea of being able to have a dinner and movie at the same time, though the pool table doesn't really do a whole lot for me. You need to be pretty focused on that game, where as you can generally eat without your full attention being at the plate/food.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    All of that goes on while the movie is playing? Or is it for after the movie?

I do like the idea of being able to have a dinner and movie at the same time, though the pool table doesn't really do a whole lot for me. You need to be pretty focused on that game, where as you can generally eat without your full attention being at the plate/food.
    The pool table, bar, restaurant are in a separate space. If you want food during the movie, it can be ordered there and will be delivered to your seat.

When ready to see the movie, an usher directs you to your seat and makes sure you have everything you need.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    aside from that, the fax is a dying instrument. They have copiers that can scan multiple pages and email them anywhere that you'd like. I don't have to even sign my taxes anymore, I can digitally sign them and hit "send". More and more building departments allow you to submit plans with a digitial engineer/architect stamp rather than submitting multiple sets of drawings each stamped by the architect/engineer of record. I can apply for a loan and never set foot inside a lending institution, there are so many things that used to require a "wet" signiture that now allow you to do so electronically that even that excuse will soon be a thing of the past.
    Which is frightening to me -- given how easy it is to forge anything electronic, but that's an entirely different story.

A lot of these technologies will live on in the government, especially at the local level. I work extensively with government agencies, and the vast majority of local agencies simply cannot afford the initial start-up cost of going paperless or electronic -- even though it will save them time and money in the long run. No one has the spare cash, and voters are loathe to approve tax increases for any reason, even if you can promise them greater efficiency down the road.

Thus, things like the fax machine and land-line phones will continue to live on for quite some time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I know everybody's numbers because for years I didn't know how to program my phone (I also have a bit of a freakish memory for numbers). Honest to god, sitting here, I know two Redszone board members' numbers by heart, and I have not lived in Cincinnati for years and called them maybe twice ever.
    I've got the major numbers memorized -- mom, dad, work, etc. Otherwise, I'd be lost without my phone book on my phone.

Strangely, nobody ever forgets MY number.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yep, I got one for Valentine's Day
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?