15 current technologies a child born today will never use

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: 15 current technologies a child born today will never use

Man, I hope movie theaters never go away. The experience at home just doesn't cut it for me. The biggest problem with theaters now is we're so tethered to our phones that you can't sit through a two-hour flick without seeing little lights pop up out of laps all around the room. That's a serious pet peeve of mine.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

There will still be movie theaters. Going to the movies is now more about the common experience or just getting out of the house for an evening which direct-to-TV-release cannot provide.

I agree. Movie theater's was the one I thought he was wrong on when I read it. I don't see that going away. The fact that they charge $13 isn't an indication that they're too expensive and will turn people away. It's an indication that people still are willing to pay for the experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think he's wrong on a bunch of them. Digital cameras, landline phones and wired internet to name a few. Seems to me that businesses will continue to use landlines and will wireless ever be as fast and as secure as wired internet? I think this author should have kept the list at 10

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    There will still be movie theaters. Going to the movies is now more about the common experience or just getting out of the house for an evening which direct-to-TV-release cannot provide.
    I agree but he does have a point about the price of movies. But the "going out of the house" experience is something that can't be matched by staying at home.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Fax machines are so stupid. It's always a handy tipoff that I'm dealing with an archaic organization if someone wants me to fax them something.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Fax machines are so stupid. It's always a handy tipoff that I'm dealing with an archaic organization if someone wants me to fax them something.
    Depends on the situation.

I like fax machines because they can send me a document that has an actual, written signature on the bottom. If I have to send something that requires MY signature, I always insist on faxing or hand-delivery.

When dealing with handwritten things (which is frequent, in my line of work), fax machines are great because I can send copies to people quickly -- vs. having someone sit at a computer, scan all the documents in individually, and then break up the various parts into attachments small enough to go through whatever e-mail provider I'm dealing with on the other end. With a fax, I just throw the stuff onto the machine, dial the number and walk away to do other things while it sends.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm pretty sure I read an article like this 12 years ago that had some of the same things listed as being on the way out.

Silly to try and predict the future.
    Go Gators!

I agree with most of the list. Some of those are more technologies in process anyways so of course they are going to change.

Movie theatres are an interesting one. I don't see them going away, but movie studios would love to find a way to give you that experience without going to the theatre. I can see something replacing them in the next 30 years, but not so sure in the next 10-15.

I'd have listed newspapers

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

In my business, signing documents is still required legally, but I can still do that paperless with my ipad. I think tablets can make the physical fax machine obsolete where people can send pdf files back and forth, sign them on their tablets, and then print a copy out if you need to. That's how we operate and it's sure saved me a ton of time, not to mention paper and ink.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I agree that he's off the mark on movie theaters as well. He cites the price for an individual ticket while neglecting the fact that blockbusters gross billions, literally billions, at the box office. Which means the price of the ticket is actually in line with the market for it. He's looking at it from a consumer perspective rather than a business one. Movies are making more than ever. It's fascinating, really; mp3s have killed CD industry, ebooks have made a dent in the publishing industry, but DVDs and netflix don't seem to have affected the movie box office industry much at all. Much of this probably has to do with the lapse in release dates.

If anything, he might want to examine how movie-going habits will affect material released, i.e., the possibility of studios releasing only potential blockbusters in the theaters and keeping the lower-grossing "arty" pictures to DVD release. But I think even that's a stretch for now, and anyway it isn't related to technology.

FYI, I know kids who do not know what either a busy signal or a dial tone sounds like. Literally have never heard either one.

Curiosity: for those of you who do use land lines, does Cincinnati still allow you to make local calls without dialing the area code? As of a couple of years ago, anyway, one of very few medium/large cities where you can still do this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I agree that he's off the mark on movie theaters as well. He cites the price for an individual ticket while neglecting the fact that blockbusters gross billions, literally billions, at the box office. Which means the price of the ticket is actually in line with the market for it. He's looking at it from a consumer perspective rather than a business one. Movies are making more than ever. It's fascinating, really; mp3s have killed CD industry, ebooks have made a dent in the publishing industry, but DVDs and netflix don't seem to have affected the movie box office industry much at all. Much of this probably has to do with the lapse in release dates.

If anything, he might want to examine how movie-going habits will affect material released, i.e., the possibility of studios releasing only potential blockbusters in the theaters and keeping the lower-grossing "arty" pictures to DVD release. But I think even that's a stretch for now, and anyway it isn't related to technology.

FYI, I know kids who do not know what either a busy signal or a dial tone sounds like. Literally have never heard either one.

Curiosity: for those of you who do use land lines, does Cincinnati still allow you to make local calls without dialing the area code? As of a couple of years ago, anyway, one of very few medium/large cities where you can still do this.
    Yeah, you can call most numbers in the 513 area code without dialing 513. Interestingly enough, you have to dial 1 before you call someone in the 937 area code but you don't have to do that calling 859 (NKY).

That's interesting about the dial tone and busy signal but thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Maybe you haven't heard, or just skimmed things, but movie companies are starting to release brand new movies, that are in theaters, to PPV while they are still in theaters. That is where movie companies are going to be going in the future too, assuming they can find the correct price point.

Turn Off Ads?