Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...Pujols sure does suck right now

So...Pujols sure does suck right now

After todays 1-4 performance, which is much better than he had been doing, he's at .225 with 0 HR and 4 RBI. The heck is happening, and why couldn't it have happened when he play for St. Louis?

Also relevant

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: So...Pujols sure does suck right now

April 2011 for Pujols - .245/.305/.453
    2011 Season for Pujols - .299/.366/.541

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    After todays 1-4 performance, which is much better than he had been doing, he's at .225 with 0 HR and 4 RBI. The heck is happening, and why couldn't it have happened when he play for St. Louis?

Also relevant

So are you saying he doesn't have access to the "good stuff" that Mac and LaRussa have any more? Note sarcasm before people jump over the inference.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I don't know. I don't think this bat speed is slowing. He is really swinging at a lot of stuff out of the zone, which is very uncharacteristic.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't know. I don't think this bat speed is slowing. He is really swinging at a lot of stuff out of the zone, which is very uncharacteristic.
    He's pressing, I imagine.

It really makes one sad the Cards weren't the team signing him to a massive contract instead.

He has a lot more movement in his stance and swing these days. He used have the stoic, statue like stance, then explode on the pitch. Now he's moving all over the place until the pitch arrives.

Not really sure what that means, but it's very noticeable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    So are you saying he doesn't have access to the "good stuff" that Mac and LaRussa have any more? Note sarcasm before people jump over the inference.
    A lot of truths are told in jest. Blood testing started this year (albeit very tamely). Also, the age question is back on the table.

Before April 2011, Pujols didn't have a uninjured full month (Marchs and Octobers don't count) with a below .800 OPS in the previous 10 years (July 2001) and only a few months under .900 OPS during the span.
    His April 2012 OPS is .592.
    He is not the same player. Why? is the question, but "he's pressing" doesn't really cut it, IMO, with a guy who's been to the postseason 7 times and three World Series.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Um, he doesn't have the luxury of batting against Cincinnati pitchers on a regular basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    No sarcasm for me. It's always amazing how guys like Berkman and now the new guy.....the guy who could barely play 90 games the last 4 years.....can come in and look like a new person ...just like that.

I wonder about the ballpark effects. I watched parts of several Angels games, and saw Pujols hit several deep fly balls that looked they would be gone, only have to have them be caught on the track.

However, looking up ballpark effeccts for Busch vs. Angels Stadium, there is supposedly very little difference.

What about Albert trying to adjust to almost completely new pitching?

It will be interesting to revisit this thread later in the season....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I saw a site a few days ago that showed various stats like amount of balls out the strike zone that he he swings at. All the bad stats have been increasing the last three or 4 years. It's simple.... he's getting older and his bat isn't as quick so he has to commit sooner.

This isn't steroids, this isn't the AL, this isn't the park.... and it isn't a fluke. It's aging. He'll recover this season, but the overall numbers will be down from last year. Lather, rinse, repeat... it's all downhill from here.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-28-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I wonder about the ballpark effects. I watched parts of several Angels games, and saw Pujols hit several deep fly balls that looked they would be gone, only have to have them be caught on the track.

However, looking up ballpark effeccts for Busch vs. Angels Stadium, there is supposedly very little difference.

What about Albert trying to adjust to almost completely new pitching?

It will be interesting to revisit this thread later in the season....
    I think there is no question that the AL West is the worst Division for a hitter. I don't really believe what those ballpark effects stats say. The difference is pretty dramatic from the NL Central to the AL West IMO.

Pujols will adjust. I wouldn't be surprised if he roars back and ends up player of the month in May.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This isn't steroids, this isn't the AL, this isn't the park.... and it isn't a fluke. It's aging. He'll recover this season, but the overall numbers will be down from last year. Lather, rinse, repeat... it's all downhill from here.
    This combined with an early season slump. I think it's as simple as this.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He has a lot more movement in his stance and swing these days. He used have the stoic, statue like stance, then explode on the pitch. Now he's moving all over the place until the pitch arrives.

Not really sure what that means, but it's very noticeable.
    I noticed the same thing and I wonder if there isn't more to it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?