Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protection for Votto?

Protection for Votto?

I am worried that the #1 and 2 batters lacking obp skills and the number four batter lacking true number four power are hurting Votto's ability to produce.

If the guys infront of him are not on base, why would pitchers be worried about walking him? If the guy behind him is not a true power hitter, why would the pitcher be worried about giving him something to hit?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Protection for Votto?

I just do not at all understand putting Phillips back in the clean-up spot, it never worked.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I don't know who Protection is, or who he plays for, but I'd doubt I would trade Votto straight up for him.
    Last edited by 757690; 05-15-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't know who Projection is, or who he plays for, but I'd doubt I would trade Votto straight up for him.
    When I posted the title of this thread, I worried some might think his life was in danger.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That guy with a .974 OPS can't hit clean up to protect Votto. Lefties can't protect lefties, everyone knows that.

It is foolish to worry about a potential loogy for one situation when the game is made up of so many more situations.

The best way to protect Votto is to put a man on 1B ahead of him. Batting Stubbs 2nd is not a great way to do that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The best way to protect Votto is to put a man on 1B ahead of him. Batting Stubbs 2nd is not a great way to do that.
    With the way this team is going, only two guys should be there and neither are options for Dusty because the catcher bats 8th and you can't hit lefties back to back so neither is Bruce. I think if Bruce hits behind Votto, no one on base for Votto or not, he will get more pitches to hit.

Brandon Phillips in the clean up spot is a freaking joke. It really is.

If (a) protection matters as much as some believe and (b) Bruce is a good enough hitter to cause opposing managers to not pitch around Joey, then how is Jay hitting so well with roughly the same amount of protection that Votto has?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If (a) protection matters as much as some believe and (b) Bruce is a good enough hitter to cause opposing managers to not pitch around Joey, then how is Jay hitting so well with roughly the same amount of protection that Votto has?
    Joey Votto has 500 intentional walks this year. He would probably be hitting a little better than he is if teams had to throw to him a few more pitches. But since Brandon Phillips is feared by no one, Votto just gets a free pass to first base.

Jay is hitting so well because he and Votto are both really good hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Joey Votto has 500 intentional walks this year. He would probably be hitting a little better than he is if teams had to throw to him a few more pitches. But since Brandon Phillips is feared by no one, Votto just gets a free pass to first base.

Doug, do you want to edit this statement. Since he only has 33 walks thus far, I have no idea what the number of intentional walks he has so far.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

YES!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

FWIW, the lack of protection certainly hasn't prevented Votto from producing a 1.000+ OPS this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    FWIW, the lack of protection certainly hasn't prevented Votto from producing a 1.000+ OPS this season.
    or getting 500 intentional walks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    or getting 500 intentional walks.

If Votto walks 500 timesthis season he will have the greatest offensive season ever.

baserunners=runs

Turn Off Ads?