Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say hello to the NEW reds leadoff hitter..

Say hello to the NEW reds leadoff hitter..

Ryan Hannigan...that's right I say given how poorly Cozart, Stubbs and even Phillips has done, that on days that Hannigan starts, he is the leadoff hitter. Yes he is slow, so what. I have faith he can at least get on and get moved over better then our present options. Now...will this happen...NOT in my lifetime because managers as a whole don't see catchers as leadoff hitters. If we had a better chocie I might agree, but right now, with WHOM is on this roster, I say give Ryan a chance.

Oh and on his off days I would look at maybe Heisey or even Frazier at this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Say hello to the NEW reds leadoff hitter..

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Ryan Hannigan...that's right I say given how poorly Cozart, Stubbs and even Phillips has done, that on days that Hannigan starts, he is the leadoff hitter. Yes he is slow, so what. I have faith he can at least get on and get moved over better then our present options. Now...will this happen...NOT in my lifetime because managers as a whole don't see catchers as leadoff hitters. If we had a better chocie I might agree, but right now, with WHOM is on this roster, I say give Ryan a chance.

Oh and on his off days I would look at maybe Heisey or even Frazier at this point.
    There is a better option, BP. Hit Bruce 4th. My ideal lineup is as follows:

BP-2B
    Cozart-SS
    Votto- 1B
    Bruce- RF
    Frazier- 3B
    Heisey- LF
    Hanigan- C
    Stubbs- CF

Stubbs bats last, if he is on base when the top of the line up comes up that would be a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post

BP-2B
    Cozart-SS
    Votto- 1B
    Bruce- RF
    Frazier- 3B
    Heisey- LF
    Hanigan- C
    Stubbs- CF

Stubbs bats last, if he is on base when the top of the line up comes up that would be a plus.
    Brandon is not a leadoff hitter really either his numbers are okay, but not great either. It's time to think outside the box. Also why would you have Hannigan hitting 7th?

A lot of us here have been clamoring for Hanigan at the top of the order for a looong time. But until he starts playing SS or CF, he isn't going to convince Dusty he's capable of anything but 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Brandon is not a leadoff hitter really either his numbers are okay, but not great either. It's time to think outside the box. Also why would you have Hannigan hitting 7th?
    BP's best numbers have come as the lead off guy, sure his power numbers were down, but thats not what you expect out of your leadoff hitter. As far as Hanigan 7th, it's nothing in particular. I feel once you get past 4th or 5th you can put those guys in any order and its not gonna affect much. Hanigan hitting leadoff is not a viable option I think. Yeah he makes good contact but is slow and his OBP% isnt that spectacular(.363), its good for a catcher but not what Im looking for as a leadoff hitter. Plus, I know it shouldn't be the sole reason, he is a catcher and hitting him lower saves his legs a bit.

We probly need a change at the top, but Hanigan isn't the answer in my opinion.

I would be fine with Hanigan higher in the lineup, just not leadoff. Don't think that is the answer.

I don't believe for a second that Hannigan could sustain his OBP hitting leadoff.

Would personally prefer to see:

1 - Phillips
    2 - Votto
    3 - Hannigan/Mesoraco
    4 - Bruce
    5 - Heisey
    6 - Stubbs
    7 - Cozart
    8 - Frazier
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Would personally prefer to see:

1 - Phillips
    2 - Votto
    3 - Hannigan/Mesoraco
    4 - Bruce
    5 - Heisey
    6 - Stubbs
    7 - Cozart
    8 - Frazier
    So what about when Bruce goes on 1 of his month long slumps, or Votto being our main RBI/best hitter, not many RBI chances from the 2 hole. I guess you could switch your 2 & 3 hitters and I could live with it, maybe they should do 1 of the computer deals and find the best lineups. They do that with whose gonna win football games all the time.....J/K!!!!

bp
    Ryan Hannigan
    votto
    bruce
    cozart
    stubbs
    fraizer
    ludwick

i think this could work

I hold these truths to be self-evident:

Cozart shouldn't be asked to at this point in his career.
    BP is not best suited to leadoff, and is poorly suited to cleanup.
    Dusty will NOT bat his 2 lefties back-to-back.
    Heisey, Frazier and Stubbs should not be anywhere near the top of the lineup
    Dusty will not bat Hanni above 8.

So...

I propose...

Votto
    Cozart
    BP
    Bruce
    x
    x
    x
    Hanni
    P

Votto reminds me a lot of the best leadoff hitter in Reds history, but with a little more power. Teams will be a lot less likely to put the leadoff guy on, hence he should see more hittable pitches. Would you want to spot him first base with Cozart, BP and Bruce coming up?

Heisey/Ludwick/Stubbs/Frazier are 4 sides of the same weak-hitting coin, so shake them up and insert them in the 5-7 spots, although I lean towards Heisey/Ludwick 5 and Stubbs 7, right in front of contact-rich Hanni.

Additional benefit is when Hanni gets on and P gets him over, he is in SP for Votto.

I think BP relaxes a bit more in 3 spot, and produces a little more consistently. I, for the first time really, believe Bruce is ready for the 4, at least he has legitimate shot. And boy do the Reds need it.

It's all moot with Dusty

You could even pinch run late in games for Hannigan and bring in Mes to finish off the duties behind the plate....let's say we are down 1 and Ryan gets a hit to lead off the 8th inning, you PR Valdez or any speedy guy from the bench and bring Mes into finish the 8th-9th innings.....just a wild thought for late in games when you need speed on the paths.

I'm not sure it really matters because we don't have one. It is more important to put our better hitters in roles they are more comfortable in and throw somebody at the top.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post

BP-2B
    Cozart-SS
    Votto- 1B
    Bruce- RF
    Frazier- 3B
    Heisey- LF
    Hanigan- C
    Stubbs- CF

IMO if you're gonna bat Stubbs that low I'd go ahead and put him 9th...put the pitcher in the 8 and let Stubbs follow. It would, essentially, give the line up two lead off hitters.

Turn Off Ads?