Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)

Big Ten prefers bowl games for playoff sites

CHICAGO (AP) Big Ten officials came out in favor of keeping bowl games as sites for college football's planned playoff on Tuesday, preferring to keep the Rose Bowl as the conference's postseason tradition.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-ten...12--ncaaf.html
    I'm in favor of keeping the Rose bowl in place as well, but I think it is a huge mistake for the Big10 not to be in favor of home field for the first round of a college football playoff. The Big10 historically is traveling South or West and playing somebody else in their own backyard ... a perpetual disadvantage. Home playoffs is a chance to get teams on your own turf and have the advantage. I just don't see why the Big10 woudn't be interested in this.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I'm in favor of keeping the Rose bowl in place as well, but I think it is a huge mistake for the Big10 not to be in favor of home field for the first round of a college football playoff. The Big10 historically is traveling South or West and playing somebody else in their own backyard ... a perpetual disadvantage. Home playoffs is a chance to get teams on your own turf and have the advantage. I just don't see why the Big10 woudn't be interested in this.

GL
    Because who wants to be in Minneapolis, Detroit or Indianapolis (those games will never be played outdoors in Midwest December/January weather) for fun in the winter time?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Because who wants to be in Minneapolis, Detroit or Indianapolis (those games will never be played outdoors in Midwest December/January weather) for fun in the winter time?
    I do!!!!!!!! But you are right.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

They should be, the NFL makes it happen.

They would sell out, no problem. If your team is of the final 4 playing for a NTL championship, it will sell out at -50 to 150 degrees.

GL

It tells me the B1G leadership is more interested in maximizing dollars than potentially creating a home field advantage for their prospective team in a proposed playoff. That's nothing really against the B1G, every other conference is the same way: the almighty dollar rules all.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    They should be, the NFL makes it happen.

They would sell out, no problem. If your team is of the final 4 playing for a NTL championship, it will sell out at -50 to 150 degrees.

GL
    Very few people travel to watch their NFL teams play on the road.

Very few people travel to watch their NFL teams play on the road.
    So you think a semi-final game in Ann Arbor with Michigan playing or in Columbus with tOSU playing won't sell out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I would prefer home field sites because it is one of the unique aspects of college football. I think the logistic excuses the AD's have thrown out are total BS. It is all a money grab, but I'm ok with that. I don't think it would as much as an advantage as some people are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I would prefer home field sites because it is one of the unique aspects of college football. I think the logistic excuses the AD's have thrown out are total BS. It is all a money grab, but I'm ok with that. I don't think it would as much as an advantage as some people are making it out to be.
    I agree. I think the home field sites would be really cool. And most big time football teams (the teams making the final 4 or whatever they call it) have big stadia to play in and are used to lots of media and hosting big games. And frankly, who the hell cares about whether or the media is comfortable. Let them drive an hour or 2. It's a game for the fans. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

I think games in Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Eugene, Athens, Ann Arbor, Norman, Austin, etc etc would be really cool. Even Cincinnati. They could play at PBS and make it a big whoop dee doo. Every one of those SEC, Big 10, PAC-12, Big 12, etc etc college towns would bend over backwards to make it a great event.

Plus I'd love to see an SEC team play in the midwest winter. I think they'd play great anyhow, but I'd love to see them with parkas on, muddy uniforms, frosty breath. Football like God meant it to be.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That article kind of strays from the topic. We are talking a 4 team play-off.

I can almost understand some of the Big Ten's thinking:
    1) As it stands right now, the SEC would definitely host 1 if not 2 of the home games (which does not help the Big Ten at all since they get a cut of the Rose Bowl check)
    2) BCS bowl money is split in the conference. Is tOSU going to share gate money from the 'Shoe with Michigan or Purdue? Probably not. So, the other schools would lose out.
    3) The tradition of the Rose Bowl....

But, I don't believe any of those arguments.
    1) The Big Ten already plays its bowl games in the south and west, how is that a huge change?
    2) Does anyone really worry about Northwestern getting its cut of the Rose Bowl money?
    3) The last relevant TRUE Rose Bowl was the 1998 Michigan win for the National Title. After that game, the Rose Bowl was an exhibition. Before that game, the Rose Bowl often held the National Champion. I don't count when the BCS title game is played in the Rose Bowl a week after the actual game.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    It tells me the B1G leadership is more interested in maximizing dollars than potentially creating a home field advantage for their prospective team in a proposed playoff. That's nothing really against the B1G, every other conference is the same way: the almighty dollar rules all.
    They also want to take care of their bowl cronies. To keep the money rolling into their friends so the conference ADs and presidents can go on free vacations.

It's not about cold weather vs. warm weather. Look how poorly the B1G championship game drew last year. They were taking out ads for seat fillers on Craig's List. If that game were played in East Lansing or Madison, you better believe they wouldn't have any trouble selling that game out.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They also want to take care of their bowl cronies. To keep the money rolling into their friends so the conference ADs and presidents can go on free vacations.

It's not about cold weather vs. warm weather. Look how poorly the B1G championship game drew last year. They were taking out ads for seat fillers on Craig's List. If that game were played in East Lansing or Madison, you better believe they wouldn't have any trouble selling that game out.
    Gotta remember only two teams in BigTen have fanbases that travel enough, and ate close enough to sell out Lucas Oil Stadium, Ohio State and Michigan. How many people drive from Lincoln or Happy Valley to watch a football game?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Gotta remember only two teams in BigTen have fanbases that travel enough, and ate close enough to sell out Lucas Oil Stadium, Ohio State and Michigan. How many people drive from Lincoln or Happy Valley to watch a football game?
    I think all the Big Ten teams travel well..........to warmer weather!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So you think a semi-final game in Ann Arbor with Michigan playing or in Columbus with tOSU playing won't sell out?
    1. These games are going to be played at neutral sites.

2. It would be a PR nightmare for the BCS/NCAA or whoever ends up running a playoff of 20-30,000 fans from the South or West missed the game because of a blizzard after spending boo-coo bucks on tickets, hotel, etc.

Everyone seems critical of the NFL for wanting to play the Super Bowl in NYC. This is the same idea.

Turn Off Ads?