Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)

Re: Big10 makes Big Mistake (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If they take the top 4 regardless of conference affiliation then who needs conferences?
    You have to have someone to play 8-9 times a year. This isn't the NFL where everybody plays everybody. USC is gonna want to play UCLA and Bama's gonna want to play Auburn and Ohio State is gonna want to play Michigan and so on and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You have to have someone to play 8-9 times a year. This isn't the NFL where everybody plays everybody. USC is gonna want to play UCLA and Bama's gonna want to play Auburn and Ohio State is gonna want to play Michigan and so on and so on.
    I understand that but why a megaconference? My guess is they wouldn't be flirting with megaconferences if conference affiliation had nothing to do with picking teams for a playoff

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If they take the top 4 regardless of conference affiliation then who needs conferences?
    Same reasons they have conferences now, I suppose.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Same reasons they have conferences now, I suppose.
    But we don't have four megaconferences now. Do you see a need for a shift to megaconferences from what we have now if it'll have no impact on the BCS? We're already seeing some of these effects. Boise St originally agreed to join the Big East, most likely because of its BCS tie in. Now they're hearing that the Big East won't be a part of this new playoff system so they may pull out of their agreed upon deal to join the Big East

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

But we don't have four megaconferences now. Do you see a need for a shift to megaconferences from what we have now if it'll have no impact on the BCS? We're already seeing some of these effects. Boise St originally agreed to join the Big East, most likely because of its BCS tie in. Now they're hearing that the Big East won't be a part of this new playoff system so they may pull out of their agreed upon deal to join the Big East
    If you mean 16 teams when you say megaconference, no, I don't think that's where all four leagues are going, at least in the short run. The four top leagues having 12+ teams including pretty much everyone who fancies themselves a football power, yes.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    If you mean 16 teams when you say megaconference, no, I don't think that's where all four leagues are going, at least in the short run. The four top leagues having 12+ teams including pretty much everyone who fancies themselves a football power, yes.
    I agree and so does this author:

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/5...playoffs-bowls

Too complicated basically explains why it ain't happenin' anytime soon

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I agree and so does this author:

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/5...playoffs-bowls

Too complicated basically explains why it ain't happenin' anytime soon

I dont know if he explained it was a personal opinion. But it will not happen over night due to a lot reasons that he didnt touch on. But one that I think he was dead on about was that these conferences are looking for tv markets rather than tradition. It was the reason the B1G was looking at Rutgers, they were interested in that NYC metro tv market.

Turn Off Ads?