Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knobler: Chapman may be the best pitcher in baseball . . . and he's pitching the 8th

Knobler: Chapman may be the best pitcher in baseball . . . and he's pitching the 8th

Article from CBSsports' Danny Knobler on Aroldis Chapman.

There's no doubt that Baker is still the strongest advocate of keeping Chapman there. Some Reds people note that the manager is on a one-year contract, and say they understand it.

But it's not just Baker.

Jocketty doesn't rule out Chapman in the rotation at some point this year, but he also said, "We may become resigned to the fact that he may spend this year in the bullpen."
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...-eighth-inning

It's going to be painful when the Reds continue to waste Chapman's immense talent in the bullpen and then he leaves and goes on to become a dominant ace with another team. It's a shame seeing the Reds waste him. This guy has a chance to be an elite starting pitcher.

Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez would have been Hall of Fame relievers had they played for Dusty Baker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Knobler: Chapman may be the best pitcher in baseball . . . and he's pitching the

This whole saga is so incredibly frustrating to watch. I normally end up agreeing with Jocketty, but on this, I think he is completely off his rocker.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Knobler: Chapman may be the best pitcher in baseball . . . and he's pitching the

I'm torn, they are bringing in AC in very high leverage situations and he is just flat out killing it.

On the other hand, if he works out in the rotation like we think he might that gives you Chapman, Cueto, Latos .... I'll take my chances with that.

GL

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'd also like to see him in the rotation, but I have to admit Dusty is using him almost perfectly from the pen. It could be worse; he could be the closer.

All I know is he's fun to watch. The combination of his ability and the fact that there isn't a hitter in baseball that has confidence at the plate against him is making him flat unhittable. The only guy that can hurt him is himself, and he's making dang sure that doesn't happen.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I have to think he'll be starting before the end of the season. If Dusty and Jocketty were to come out and say that he would be starting soon, it wouldn't be too good for the morale of the pitchers currently in the rotation. Rest assured, Homer and Leake can see the writing on the wall with this guy. He's on the come... and fast.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Listening to Walt and Dusty talk about Chapman is like listening to a smoker talk about giving up cigarettes. "I'm just so busy right now. It'll be easier next week." Still smoking 2 years later...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Article from CBSsports' Danny Knobler on Aroldis Chapman.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...-eighth-inning

It's going to be painful when the Reds continue to waste Chapman's immense talent in the bullpen and then he leaves and goes on to become a dominant ace with another team. It's a shame seeing the Reds waste him. This guy has a chance to be an elite starting pitcher.

Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez would have been Hall of Fame relievers had they played for Dusty Baker.
    Unless he is traded, Chapman will be a Red at least until 2017.

I would love to see him in the rotation right now, but the team feels it needs him at this point in the bullpen. I disagree, but can accept it as long as I know that he will be starting next season, if not sooner. That would mean at least four years of him in the Reds rotation. While I would prefer it were five, four is more than acceptable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

If they continue to refuse to put Chapman in the rotation, it will be a huge mistake as we watch him win many games elsewhere. Time to ditch the fools gold that is Bailey or even Arroyo and Leake and see what he can do. Foolish to waste this arm for one inning a night.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Somebody help me with the math here. Would it be better to have 200 innings per year of the Cuban Missile or would 60 innings be better?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Somebody help me with the math here. Would it be better to have 200 innings per year of the Cuban Missile or would 60 innings be better?
    Depends on the amount of earned runs he gives up. Chapman starting may not turn out as well as we hope. With that said, he deserves the chance and the opportunity to start for sure.

I really want Chapman in the rotation. I can't fault Dusty/Walt too much here. The bullpen is en fuego and they don't want to ruin a good thing. Keep in mind, Bray and Masset have to come off the DL at some point. That might be the time to make the move.

If you figure in the leverage of each of those innings, it can be quite close in terms of wins for the team. I believe Cameron at Fangraphs did the math and said that if the team is in the pennant race all season, a late inning reliever can be worth as much as a starter for his team.

Let's put it this way. Replace Leake with Chapman in the rotation, and replace Chapman with whoever would get the call from AAA in the pen. Would that have yielded more wins for the team? You get maximum five wins from Chapman in the rotation. But how many less wins would you get without him in the pen so far this season? More innings from Simon, LeCure, and whoever gets called up, more 8th innings from Ondrusek, more 7th innings from Arrondondo. It's close.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If you figure in the leverage of each of those innings, it can be quite close in terms of wins for the team. I believe Cameron at Fangraphs did the math and said that if the team is in the pennant race all season, a late inning reliever can be worth as much as a starter for his team.

Let's put it this way. Replace Leake with Chapman in the rotation, and replace Chapman with whoever would get the call from AAA in the pen. Would that have yielded more wins for the team? You get maximum five wins from Chapman in the rotation. But how many less wins would you get without him in the pen so far this season? More innings from Simon, LeCure, and whoever gets called up, more 8th innings from Ondrusek, more 7th innings from Arrondondo. It's close.
    If you have better starting pitchers it reduces the leverage of the late innings because you will have a larger lead on average. Getting 200 innings out of Chapman would make those 8th innings much less challenging.

If you have better starting pitchers it reduces the leverage of the late innings because you will have a larger lead on average. Getting 200 innings out of Chapman would make those 8th innings much less challenging.
    Excellent point. That definitely should be part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Excellent point. That definitely should be part of the equation.
    A biiiig part of the equation, IMO. He obviously won't be posting a 0.00 ERA or averaging 16-18 K/9 (or would he? ), but I have to think having him in the rotation is where he'll give the Reds the best possible impact on their run differential. And while not always perfect, Pythagoras generally knows his stuff when it comes to baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I contemplated starting a new thread for this, but it seemed relevant enough. There's plenty more at the link below.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...bullpen-051612
    One day, the Reds promise, left-hander Aroldis Chapman will be a starting pitcher. But it can’t happen yet, not when two of the team’s top setup men remain on the disabled list. And not everyone with the team is certain it should happen it all.

Reds' Aroldis Chapman is on pace to shatter the MLB strikeout record.
    “I honestly don’t think he can be as effective as a starting pitcher,” right-hander Bronson Arroyo, one of the Reds’ starters, said Wednesday. “I definitely think (relieving) is his forte.”

Turn Off Ads?