Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Long term.. FA or in house

LF Long term.. FA or in house

So take away the two total games in LF played by Ludwick and Frazier, we see a... situation in LF. Heisey, IMO has been given all the rope he has needed and has flat proven himself to be a very competent 4th OF. Good power off the bench, plays all three positions. Solid guy to have. While Ludwick MAY come back this year, it seems doubtful he's going to contribute much. And honestly, he was never a sure thing anyway, a very up and down career, had a decent year last season, but prior to that you have to go back to 2009. He turns 35 in July.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on him, this ain't 1998.

So what is the solution? 3 guys have been manning LF this season other than the aforementioned injured players: Robinson, Paul and Lutz.

Xavier Paul is hitting the best. He probably makes the lineup a little LH heavy for Dusty's taste though. He gets on base, but has little power. seems like he'd fit in the 2 hole, but that would be 3 LH hitters in a row... GASP!

Next up, Robinson. Late bloomer, making his MLB debut with the Reds this year. 28, very fast. I mean very, very fast. Slap hitter seeking his 1st extra base hit. Wily. Taveras. Nothing to see here.

Lastly we see Donald Lutz. A guy with big time power potential, but can't find 1B. His OBP has trended down with each level jump. He's probably right around a .500 SLG guy, meaning if he could post even a .330 OBP, he's more than acceptable in LF. But I have a hunch he's more a .300 OBP guy.

So does that mean FA? wait just one second.

If we do throw age out a bit, I submit Felix Perez. 28, tearing up AAA right now. Has a ton of experience playing in Cuba. Gets on base. .349 OBP last year at AAA, .385 this year. And showing a lot more power. .317 .385 .518 .903 in 156 PA's this year. I'm not suggesting sign him to a six year deal, just that maybe he's a solution. Now, again, he's another LH bat, giving the Reds 4. just like Xavier Paul does, but his power is better.

Just a thought, as no one seems to be looking at him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2013),remdog (05-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LF Long term.. FA or in house

i realize the problem was created by injury but still constantly having a lf problem seems odd....should be the easiest of the outfield positions to man....anyway if Hamilton is the real deal then signing Choo would seem to be the answer. Choo, Hamilton, and Bruce would work for me for a few years

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

.317 .385 .518 .903 - Felix Perez this year in the minors.

.314 .379 .521 .900 - Chris Heisey 2009 in the minors. 550+ PAs.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    .317 .385 .518 .903 - Felix Perez this year in the minors.

.314 .379 .521 .900 - Chris Heisey 2009 in the minors. 550+ PAs.
    never understood these kind of comps. What HiC did and later how he played has NOTHING to fo with Perez. Nada. Zilch. Perez is older, yes, vut that's because he was in Cuba. He mày or may not do well in the ML but you can't comp his AAA numbers to anyone and predict his failure when he hits the show. You can point out hundreds through the years with good AAA numbers and some make it some are BLarsons. Or HiCs.Some make good and the only way you know is to give em their shot.

I disagree somewhat on XPaul. I think he has decent power. He doesn't use it too much but with enough playing time I think he would be ok.

Short term, IMO, the Reds should get Heisey well and then trade him for a righty hitting platoon left fielder. A bat to platoon with Paul.

Derrick Robinson can be a late inning defensive replacement.

He's not Wily Taveras because he's a switch hitter and I think Robinson is faster and can make things happen as a 25th player on this team.

Longer term depends on Choo's contract situation, on Ludwick's health, and if neither of them work out longer term -- on trades, free agency, and the progress of Winker who looks like the real deal.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    never understood these kind of comps. What HiC did and later how he played has NOTHING to fo with Perez. Nada. Zilch. Perez is older, yes, vut that's because he was in Cuba. He mày or may not do well in the ML but you can't comp his AAA numbers to anyone and predict his failure when he hits the show. You can point out hundreds through the years with good AAA numbers and some make it some are BLarsons. Or HiCs.Some make good and the only way you know is to give em their shot.
    Easy there.

I'm just pointing out that their numbers are nearly identical.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

I think LF is one of those positions where you don't bend over backwards to find a permanent solution. If you have a bona-fide all-star, awesome, lock him up. If the Reds want to pay Choo 5/100, be my guest.

But the defensive bar is low enough that there will always be options available at a reasonable cost -- be that in FA or via trade. Every organization has Donald Lutz or two floating around, a guy with pop who could be a solid bat but who can't play anywhere other than LF or 1B. Could be the next Josh Willigham (or Ryan Ludwick) or could be the next Bryan LaHair type who heads to Japan instead.

Once you get past this group: Braun, Trout (really a CF), Upton, Crawford, Harper, Gonzalez, Gordon -- it's just a bunch of non-impact guys, some with more potential than others.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Next up, Robinson. Late bloomer, making his MLB debut with the Reds this year. 28, very fast. I mean very, very fast. Slap hitter seeking his 1st extra base hit. Wily. Taveras. Nothing to see here.
    Baseball reference has Robinson at 25 which is still very long in the tooth for a prospect, but given the age that the reds tend to bring guys to the majors these days he fits right in. I'm not enamored with minor league speedsters, but his last three years in the minors he got on base to a 340 clip which isn't terrible. He can cover center and he does bring the speed. If nothing else they can keep Robinson on the roster as a spare CF and move Heisey, but yeah...he's not a starting left fielder even at the top of his game.

If we do throw age out a bit, I submit Felix Perez. 28, tearing up AAA right now. Has a ton of experience playing in Cuba. Gets on base. .349 OBP last year at AAA, .385 this year. And showing a lot more power. .317 .385 .518 .903 in 156 PA's this year. I'm not suggesting sign him to a six year deal, just that maybe he's a solution. Now, again, he's another LH bat, giving the Reds 4. just like Xavier Paul does, but his power is better.
    What an interesting thought. That would be an odd turn.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I have also been pleasantly surprised by Felix Perez's progress this year. That being said, I certainly am not sold that Perez has more power than Xavier Paul. Perez just set his career high for HRs with 5. Let that sink in a little bit. Plus, Felix is just no showing a Paul level ability of taking walks. I like the idea of plattooning Paul and Heisey until Ludwick is ready and seeing what both can do with their chance. I think Felix needs to keep on proving himself at AAA and he can have his chance if Paul has to go on the DL. Either way, I think Dusty/Walt will give Lutz Paul's playing time if Paul goes down. I guess that could all change if Perez continues his hot start into July/August.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think LF is one of those positions where you don't bend over backwards to find a permanent solution. If you have a bona-fide all-star, awesome, lock him up. If the Reds want to pay Choo 5/100, be my guest.

But the defensive bar is low enough that there will always be options available at a reasonable cost -- be that in FA or via trade. Every organization has Donald Lutz or two floating around, a guy with pop who could be a solid bat but who can't play anywhere other than LF or 1B. Could be the next Josh Willigham (or Ryan Ludwick) or could be the next Bryan LaHair type who heads to Japan instead.

Once you get past this group: Braun, Trout (really a CF), Upton, Crawford, Harper, Gonzalez, Gordon -- it's just a bunch of non-impact guys, some with more potential than others.
    Just regarding the first paragraph. Do you consider Choo an All-Star that should be locked up for that amount? Or are you saying "be my guest" as in, "it's not my money so whatever"?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

So take away the two total games in LF played by Ludwick and Frazier, we see a... situation in LF. Heisey, IMO has been given all the rope he has needed and has flat proven himself to be a very competent 4th OF. Good power off the bench, plays all three positions. Solid guy to have. While Ludwick MAY come back this year, it seems doubtful he's going to contribute much. And honestly, he was never a sure thing anyway, a very up and down career, had a decent year last season, but prior to that you have to go back to 2009. He turns 35 in July.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on him, this ain't 1998.

So what is the solution? 3 guys have been manning LF this season other than the aforementioned injured players: Robinson, Paul and Lutz.

Xavier Paul is hitting the best. He probably makes the lineup a little LH heavy for Dusty's taste though. He gets on base, but has little power. seems like he'd fit in the 2 hole, but that would be 3 LH hitters in a row... GASP!

Lastly we see Donald Lutz. A guy with big time power potential, but can't find 1B. His OBP has trended down with each level jump. He's probably right around a .500 SLG guy, meaning if he could post even a .330 OBP, he's more than acceptable in LF. But I have a hunch he's more a .300 OBP guy.

So does that mean FA? wait just one second.

Just a thought, as no one seems to be looking at him.
    Actually, I brought up Perez's name last night during the game thread. Sir Charles bantered with me about him. He's not on the 40-man though.

With Heisey reinjuring his hamstring, I would send Lutz down, release Freeman from the 40-man, and add Perez to the 40-man and bring him up.

I'm not saying he's the answer. I'm saying we don't know what he can do against major league pitching. We know he has nothing left to prove at triple A.

Give FePerez his shot now. Good time to find out what he's got!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Give FePerez his shot now. Good time to find out what he's got!
    Why call him up unless you are going to play him? It's tough to make the argument that he is a better player than Xavier Paul right now. He still has a very small sample of him being able to take a walk and hit with any semblence of power. This is Xavier Paul's shot as it should be. Let Felix Perez continue to develop in AAA.

I have been wanting the Reds to call up Felix Perez for over a year now, the man can hit, plain and simple. Put Perez in the 2 hole and in LF.

Choo
    Perez
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

VS LHP

Robinson or Heisey in the 2 hole

The Reds need a RH # 4 for the future, or Votto will never be able to reach his potential. Frazier is not the answer, Mesoraco might be, we'll see. Jocketty needs to make one of his brilliant trades to acquire one or get lucky and draft one that moves fast.

Repost, sorry
    Last edited by OGB; 05-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I disagree somewhat on XPaul. I think he has decent power. He doesn't use it too much but with enough playing time I think he would be ok.

Short term, IMO, the Reds should get Heisey well and then trade him for a righty hitting platoon left fielder. A bat to platoon with Paul.

Derrick Robinson can be a late inning defensive replacement.

He's not Wily Taveras because he's a switch hitter and I think Robinson is faster and can make things happen as a 25th player on this team.

Longer term depends on Choo's contract situation, on Ludwick's health, and if neither of them work out longer term -- on trades, free agency, and the progress of Winker who looks like the real deal.
    I've never understood why anyone here assumes Chris Heisey has trade value. Who do you expect to get for him. For the record, I like him as a reserve, can't stand his approach at the plate if he has to start.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?